capture crisis at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old June 21st, 2009, 04:39 PM   #1
New Boot

capture crisis

Following a second warning that my heads were dirty following a cassette cleaning, I decided to take my XL2 a local repair shop that came highly recommended. Upon diagnosing the problem, they told me the heads were irreparably damaged and needed to be replaced. Assuring me that only authorized Canon parts would be used, and in the interest of time, I let them do the work.

Now, I cannot capture at all. My tape "deck" (an HV20 that's always worked flawlessly) can't read any of the info off freshly shot tapes -- even though it's all there. Occasionally it'll pick up an image, but time code remains frozen. Older tapes are no problem.

Even when I try to capture from the XL2, my editing program detects time code breaks and discontinuities, often freezing the image in mid-capture, even if there's no evidence of anything wrong while observing playback through the viewfinder (pic & time code both look okay!).

What's going on here? Did I make a big mistake going anywhere other than Canon for service? The guys that did the work insist I bring the camera back, but I'm not sure I would trust them again. Meanwhile, I can't capture anything. Please help!
David Koeppel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders