Good Focus With Standard Viewfinder at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old June 24th, 2009, 06:45 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Good Focus With Standard Viewfinder

Is it possible to get good focus almost every time with the standard viewfinder on the XL2?

Is there a focus assist function?

I can't afford to get the FU-1000.

Thanks,

CJ
Caleb Royer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2009, 08:33 PM   #2
Major Player

Let me put it this way...

..there is no good reason why you should not be able to get good focus with the standard viewfinder. Just be sure that you have the diopter set for your vision requirements.
Jack Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2009, 08:39 PM   #3
Major Player

The best way to be able to maintain solid focus is to practice. I know it's not everyone's favorite solution, but it is the best solution;) When I got my first XL2 I hated using the small finder on these cams. I am pretty confident now that I could go handheld in just about any situation and maintain focus. Sometimes when shooting run'n'gun it is useful to hit the autofocus switch, or if you have a lens that doesn't have a backfocus issue, scoff, zoom in and grab critical.
Ryan Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2009, 09:16 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Mueller View Post
...or if you have a lens that doesn't have a backfocus issue, scoff, zoom in and grab critical.
Thanks a lot for the info on the viewfinder, I am glad it works OK and I definitely will PRACTICE!

Does the standard XL2 20x lens have a backfocus issue?

Thanks Again,

CJ
Caleb Royer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2009, 09:31 PM   #5
Major Player

The XL2 only has a backfocus issue if something is wrong. They don't build them with focus issues.
Jack Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2009, 09:34 PM   #6
Major Player

My first cam that I bought had a severe backfocus issue with the 20X! I sent it in to Canon and they fixed it at no cost, just had to pay shipping. My second one had a moderate issue, definitely noticeable though, and I've sent it in to Canon 3 times now and they keep sending it back telling me that everything is functioning as it should even though it is apparent that there is a backfocus issue with the lens:( I finally gave up on it and decided to live with it since my second cam is usually used with the 3X on it for a master shot.

Both of my cams were bought brand new from B&H.

Last edited by Ryan Mueller; June 24th, 2009 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Addition
Old June 24th, 2009, 09:37 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Barker View Post
The XL2 only has a backfocus issue if something is wrong. They don't build them with focus issues.
This is definitely not the case! Both of my cams shipped with a backfocus issue on the 20X and I know a few other people that have had the same problem. Not dogging Canon by any means, all 4 of my cams are Canon. I actually just bought a 5DII. Just telling it how it is:)
Old July 11th, 2009, 08:53 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Personally, I don't think I can focus accurately on the stock viewfinder. In any case, using one of those focus charts should get you pretty close.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2009, 09:37 AM   #9
Major Player

Yes it is - in many situations the camera will keep the subject in focus for you.

But once you start working at the long end of the lens, in lowlight fast moving unpredictable situations it's a different story. In those circumstances only a skilled operator, experienced with the cam will be able to "get good focus almost every time".

Good focus is not critical focus. Good focus is "good enough" so that the softness doesn't draw attention to itself . If you are talking of focus charts and the like get a monitor.
Doug Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2009, 01:07 PM   #10
Inner Circle

What's wrong with a focus chart?
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2009, 07:42 PM   #11
Major Player

Nothing wrong with a focus chart - they work well for assessing critical focus of a 2 dimensional plane. But in a 3 dimensional world that isn't going to wait on you - they are of limited use.
Doug Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 10:40 AM   #12
Major Player

I don't have any issue with focusing using the view finder. Only have a problem when I'm rushed really.

Also the back focus issue is a known issue with Canon. I discovered this back in early 2005 and at first they sort of denied it but now they are more than willing to fix it if you send your camera in.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders