DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   20x zoom lens -- various topics (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/28866-20x-zoom-lens-various-topics.html)

Riz Muhammad June 3rd, 2005 04:44 AM

Clicking noise on the 20x lens

Hi all,

I don't know whether anyone else has experienced this or not but...
Every time I power up the XL2, the 20x lens makes 3 very loud, distinct, low freq clicking noise (click, click... click). Should I be concerned? The camera works without a problem but it's very disturbing to hear it everytime the camera is powered up. It doesn't happen on the 3x wide lens, just the 20x.
I was wondering if anyone out there in DVinfo land could enlighten me.

Thx

Greg Boston June 3rd, 2005 05:23 AM

Hello Riz,

I too hear some noises in my 20X on power up. Many others have reported the same thing. It is the lens going through its initialization. The variable angle prism is being driven to its initial state, the autofocus/zoom motor is also getting intialized.

I don't know that Canon has offered an official answer to this question but it does affect a lot of users.

regards,

=gb=

Mark Sasahara June 3rd, 2005 09:24 PM

It's the sound of the little men inside your lens waking up.

Actually, as Greg said, it's the lens going through it's initialization process. Good shooting!

Riz Muhammad June 3rd, 2005 10:15 PM

More like the little men hearing the alarm and falling out of bed!

So then why doesn't it do it on the 3x lens?

Mark Sasahara June 3rd, 2005 11:06 PM

Um, there's no little men inside? (grins hopefully :~[] )

I haven't really used the 3x, it's older, so perhaps it's some of the newer things like the IS and other things make more noise. As stated before not to worry though, all the 20x lenses do that.

Riz Muhammad June 4th, 2005 09:37 PM

Thanks Greg and Mark for your info.

Stefan Day June 19th, 2005 03:35 PM

20x Lense jiggles slightly on the camera.

It is not a big issue, however, since Day 1 my lense has been slightly loose in relation to its attachment the camera body.

Is this normal?

Should I be sending my camera back into canon?

If I do need to send it, and I have work that I need the camera for, are there any options to get a loner sent out to me first?

thanks.

Pete Bauer June 19th, 2005 05:41 PM

Hi Stefan,

This has been reported before:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=43297

I'm still not clear if people are really having a lens mount problem, or if some folks are over-interpreting things.

Just as a single data point, my 20x lens will rotate on the mount perhaps less than a millimeter. But, it has NO side-to-side (lateral) or forward-backward looseness at all. The subtle rotational "play" has no effect on picture, I don't notice it with normal use, and I feel this is within normal tolerances of the locking mechanism of a lens mount.

If your lens moves so much it affects your picture, I'd have to assume something is actually wrong. Loaners or replacements will depend on the policies of the vender you bought it from and how long you've had it.

Robert Luke June 20th, 2005 06:07 PM

I noticed that jiggling months after I got my camera and only noticed it after i got the 3x wide angle. I'm not sure if it always did that or not, and feel silly. so of course I sent it to canon and they sent it back saying it was fine and normal. and pretty much everybody here says the same thing.

Lucinda Luvaas June 30th, 2005 11:26 AM

I was shooting with the 20X lens yesterday and zooming with the button--back and forth-- rather than on the lens itself. I noticed a couple of times that the zoom wasn't completely smooth, there was a slight hesitation. I wasn't filming, just setting up to film clips. I'll have to do it again to see if it happens again. Must be something in the lens motor? has anyone else had this happen? is it normal? Lucinda

Ron German July 8th, 2005 07:32 PM

Back focus to 20X stock zoom?

Hi
Yesterday I was presented for the first time to the XL2 and could make a quick test.
A very weird thing happened when operating the 20X stock zoom lens:
the camera`s owner fitted the lens in the camera and we heard the click sound.
So everything was supposedly ok. Then I started trying to shoot something.
I focus the usual way: zoomed in to the maximum focal length, focused and zoomed out to compose the frame.
Then I noticed that the focus was lost in many focal lengths along the zoom!
And these was the way the camera behaved everytime.
So I couldn`t keep an image focused using the zoom!
As the camera`s owner was not familiar with it, I wonder if after the click sound he should have done a back focus adjustment or , I doubt it, the lens act like this normaly?
Thank you for your attention
Ron

Robert Luke July 8th, 2005 10:08 PM

I've seen that happen before on mine. Then I look at the lens and realize it was set on auto focus and then i feel stupid.

Ron German July 9th, 2005 12:10 PM

Back focus to 20X stock zoom?

Thank you Robert
No, we checked the focus was in manual.
This way is impossible to use the camera professionaly with the 20X stock zoom lens.
Ron

Jay Gladwell July 9th, 2005 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron German
Thank you Robert
No, we checked the focus was in manual.
This way is impossible to use the camera professionaly with the 20X stock zoom lens.
Ron

I have owned and used the XL2 "professionally" ever since it was released. I've never had the problem you're describing here. It's not impossible to use the camera professionally with the stock 20X lens! Evidently there is a problem with the specific lens you were using.

Jay

Ash Greyson July 9th, 2005 09:51 PM

I have seen this problem before, it is NOT normal. You need to have the lens/camera serviced by Canon. I have never personally had the problem and I change lenses a lot but it is more common with people who change lenses quite a bit. NEVER change the lens with the camera on fyi....

ash =o)