DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Batteries for XL2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/28915-batteries-xl2.html)

Wade Spencer June 22nd, 2006 08:28 AM

I heart my AB batteries. I've used them on the old Betacams and was then able to just buy the plate for the XL2. When I get a JVC HD100 or HD250 later this year, I'll be able to buy the plate for that one as well.

Jarrod Whaley June 22nd, 2006 12:38 PM

I hadn't realized that the anton bauers were so easily usable with other systems. That is nice.

Greg's point about balancing out the camera is a good one too.

In my case, though, I'm pretty much on the tripod at least 97% of the time anyway. And if I ever got a camera from a different manufacturer, I'd probably just get some $20 batts for it too.

I guess the AB's are good for some people, they just don't make sense for me and the way(s) I shoot.

Greg Boston June 22nd, 2006 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarrod Whaley
And if I ever got a camera from a different manufacturer, I'd probably just get some $20 batts for it too.

I guess the AB's are good for some people, they just don't make sense for me and the way(s) I shoot.

You won't be finding any $20 batteries for the Sony I just got. ;-)

That's part of the problem with going to a higher end camera...all the other parts cost a lot more too and they aren't even included in the box. Yikes!

But that being said, there are less expensive 'compatible' batteries and chargers than going with the A/B brand.

-gb-

Jarrod Whaley June 22nd, 2006 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Boston
You won't be finding any $20 batteries for the Sony I just got. ;-)

Touché. :)

I do see the utility in batteries you can use on anything. But I don't expect to be getting my hands on too many fancycams in the near future. I wouldn't even have an XL2 if I hadn't gotten a grant that paid for it.

But you never know, I guess.

Jonathan Grant June 26th, 2006 12:11 PM

battery question

We are shooting a feature film and a lot of it is outdoors. Batteries don't last long enough and we can't plug it in. Any suggestions? Are there products available that will allow us to film long lengths of time?

Also, is there any difference between MiniDV tapes or are they all the same? The different brands and "premium" labels etc.

Greg Boston June 26th, 2006 12:23 PM

You could buy the Anton Bauer battery adapter plate and stick a very large capacity battery on the camera which will run that thing all day long. Another way is to buy the dual battery holder/adapter from Canon and use two batteries in parallel. The advantage to this method is you can swap out batteries for fresh ones and the remaining battery will keep the camera running during the swap. Buy some of the new iithium high capacity batteries that Canon released with the XLH1. They are the best ones to date for operating time.

-gb-

Jonathan Grant June 26th, 2006 07:36 PM

Is this the battery you are talking about? http://www.eastcoastphoto.com/nav/it...sp?itemid=6088

THe 250 dollars for the adapter plate is way too much.

Jonathan Grant June 26th, 2006 07:38 PM

We have this fanny pack looking thing that came with the XL1 (ebay) that has two really big batteries in it. They are connected to a cigarette lighter output. It's designed for lights I think, but if we get a cigarette lighter to outlet converter could we jsut plug the XL2 into it?

Doug Boze June 26th, 2006 07:56 PM

Get the CH-910 Dual Battery holder/charger. Then stock up on generic BP-945 batteries off eBay (I can recommend one seller) that use Panasonic cell packs. A pair of these will operate the XL-2 for a day, and that's tape moving time, too. Total cost is a fraction of that of an AB setup, not to mention a fraction of the weight and charge times.

Jonathan Grant June 28th, 2006 02:26 PM

175 dollars is a bit much to spend on that. Was that link correct to the battery you were talking about that's the best in terms of operating time?

Jarrod Whaley June 28th, 2006 02:38 PM

Just go with the cheap generic 945's you can find on Ebay. I use them all the time, and I've never had any trouble. They usually go for about $20.

Gary Barr July 26th, 2006 02:45 AM

Don't forget about the Canon dual charger/holder. I use 2 945s on mine and it also balances out the camera a bit more with the stock lens pulling it forward. Every week lasts all day for me event filming for anything up to 7 or 8 hours.

Chris Hurd July 26th, 2006 03:42 AM

Marc, be sure to read my article Canon XL2 Battery Endurance.

Mark Sasahara July 26th, 2006 08:42 AM

Anton Bauer batteries are great and they are the industry standard. Pretty much all professional video cameras have an Anton Bauer gold mount when they leave the factory*. They're universal. As Greg pointed out, his Anton Bauers are migrating from his old camera to his new camera.

A Hytron 50, or Dionic 90 on the back helps balance the front-heavy XL2 nicely. My handheld shots are steadier and my wrist and arm are in better shape at the end of the day.

I got Power 2000 BP-945's before I got the A/B system and they were adequate. Four would get me through a day with a couple rotated through the charger. I can go pretty much all day with one Anton Bauer Hytron 50 running the camera, FU-1000 and occasionally, a 35W light. The Dionic 90 would last even longer at 90 watt hours. With the Anton Bauers, I have almost no battery changes, so I'm usually just stopping to change tapes. With the larger cameras, I have to change batteries more frequently because they are drawing much more power than the XL2's 9watts.

I can also use my A/B batts to power my PVM-9L3 monitor, Dedolights, and other items.

Anton Bauer

*Sony has their V mount and IDX is cutting into A/B's market share, but Anton Bauer is ubiquitous.

Craig Chartier July 28th, 2006 10:27 AM

We have the A/B plate on all of our XL series cameras. and we purchased the IDX adapter plate to run the v-locks. You can run the field monitors, and most other needed items all off the same type of battery. Also keep in mind that you gain a 12volt D-tap power port right on the camera for lights, on board monitors wireless devices etc..

Lou Bruno July 29th, 2006 05:57 AM

I come from the video world of very heavy cameras. I find my new XL-2 is front heavy. I purchased the ANTON BAUER plate and saved money by buying the new SWITRONIX 130W battery. I can power my Sachtler light and camera for hours on end now and have a proper balance of the camera.

Jarrod Whaley July 29th, 2006 02:09 PM

I really don't mean to be combative when I say this, but it just doesn't make sense to me to spend $1000 on a battery system if your main reason for buying it is to balance the camera. If that's all you want, then mount a salvaged construction brick on the shoulder rest for free. It may not be as pretty, but your video will look the same either way, and that seems like the important thing to me.

While so many people seem to be very happy with the Anton Bauer setup, I just can't see why it's a justifiable expense. Generic BP-945's are dirt cheap and plentiful. Yes, it's easy to migrate your AB setup to another camera later. But it's also just as easy to buy Anton Bauers when you actually do get a new camera and stick to the $20 batts while they still work. You're only going to end up spending maybe $40 or $60 that way, and you can put off the expensive purchase of schmancy batteries until you really need them--and quite possibly, you never will.

Finally, I just want to add that I'm not trying to argue with those who've bought the AB's and are happy with them. If you're happy, then that's what matters. I'm just reiterating my opinion here for the possible benefit of those who are currently making this decision. That opinion being, in summary, that you'll be more than fine with $20 knock-offs. You'll need to change batteries more often, but you'll also save a boatload of money that can be spent on more essential things.

Greg Boston July 29th, 2006 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarrod Whaley
I really don't mean to be combative when I say this, but it just doesn't make sense to me to spend $1000 on a battery system if your main reason for buying it is to balance the camera. If that's all you want, then mount a salvaged construction brick on the shoulder rest for free. It may not be as pretty, but your video will look the same either way, and that seems like the important thing to me.

While so many people seem to be very happy with the Anton Bauer setup, I just can't see why it's a justifiable expense. Generic BP-945's are dirt cheap and plentiful. Yes, it's easy to migrate your AB setup to another camera later. But it's also just as easy to buy Anton Bauers when you actually do get a new camera and stick to the $20 batts while they still work. You're only going to end up spending maybe $40 or $60 that way, and you can put off the expensive purchase of schmancy batteries until you really need them--and quite possibly, you never will.

Finally, I just want to add that I'm not trying to argue with those who've bought the AB's and are happy with them. If you're happy, then that's what matters. I'm just reiterating my opinion here for the possible benefit of those who are currently making this decision. That opinion being, in summary, that you'll be more than fine with $20 knock-offs. You'll need to change batteries more often, but you'll also save a boatload of money that can be spent on more essential things.

Duly noted. And for the record, I didn't buy a 'brand new' AB system for my XL2. I saved a boatload of money by using our classifieds and buying from a fellow DVINFO member. A win-win situation IMO.

If you don't need them, fine. It all depends on the type of work you do with your camera. But I factored 'camera balance' in my decision as just one of the benefits of the AB system. Interoperability and compatibllity with other equipment was another factor. Migration was yet another factor. Integrity and reliability another factor.

It's good to have choices.

-gb-

Marc Gaudet September 23rd, 2006 03:38 PM

thx chris wow there some who really takes the extra time in life and i would say you get rewarded after a while thx alot nice article

Allen McLaughlin September 24th, 2006 04:34 AM

I bought three of these cheap clones and I'm lucky if I use two on a normal day's shooting...

http://www.cheap-camcorder-batteries...non-bp-945.htm

Richard Alvarez September 24th, 2006 06:54 AM

I've worked with AB in the professional world of ENG, and I love 'em.

I own an Xl2 for my work, and made my decision to go with the 910 dual pack and cheap 945's for power for EXACTLY the reasons Jarrod outlined. At the time, I couldn't afford to buy into an AB system, and didn't see myself needing it for a while. (Still don't. When I freelance for TV stations, they supply the gear.)

I have one 930 (That's what came with the camera, right?) and four 945's. I've shot all day, and not run out of power. The great thing about the 910 is that it charges two batteries. So overnite, I set two batts on it, one in the charger that shipped with the cam, and I'm good to go. And yes, the weight of the 910 and the dual 945's is great balance. I also use the FU-1000 viewfinder, but I use the manual 16x lens.

Like the man said, choice is good.

Richard Day December 22nd, 2006 08:24 AM

Dual Battery Charger

I am a new XL2 owner and have a question about the CH-910 Dual Battery Charger...do I understand it right that this charger holds 2 BP-930 batteries and will mount to the bracket that was supplied with the camera? The bracket mounts on the back part of the XL2.

Thanks,

Richard

Chris Hurd December 22nd, 2006 09:35 AM

Hi Richard, yes that's correct, and it holds any two BP-9xx batteries in any combination. You could have two BP-945's, one 945 and one 930, etc.

Richard Day December 22nd, 2006 09:44 AM

Dual Battery Charger

Thanks Chris, I thought so...but wanted to make sure.

Happy Holidays!

Richard

Eb Samba December 22nd, 2006 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Day
the CH-910 Dual Battery Charger...do I understand it right that this charger holds 2 BP-930 batteries and will mount to the bracket that was supplied with the camera? The bracket mounts on the back part of the XL2.

Yes
The CH-910 holds two battery packs and can charge them one after the other. Once the batteries are charged, the CH-910, with batteries in place, can be simply attached to the bracket(which is mounted to the back of the XL2) and then connected directly to your XL2. This will give you twice the recording time of just one battery. It can be used with any combination of Canon BP-900 series Lithium-Ion batteries.

Keep in mind, it makes the Camera a little heavy, but you will get use to the weight. The extra weight at the back will help balance the weight of the camera. With the 20X lens attached, the frontend of the xl2 is the heaviest part of the camcorder. The extra weight at the back will be a counter-balance.

Brandon Katcher December 22nd, 2006 05:16 PM

Does anyone have a picture of the dual battery on their camera?
Thanks,
Brandon

Owen Hughes April 26th, 2007 05:32 AM

V-lock type batteries

I recently worked on a gig using the XL-H1 and this camera had a v-lock type battery on the back and despite making the camera heavier, it made the long shoot easier as it was balanced better on my shoulder.

I'm now looking into getting such a battery for my XL2, does anybody have any suggestions of good buys for such an item

Cheers in advance

Owen

Owen Hughes May 2nd, 2007 08:33 AM

Nobody know of anything then?

Graham Risdon May 5th, 2007 03:04 AM

Hi Owen

I use IDX v-locks on my Sony kit (DSR-450 etc.). They do 2 versions, the more expensive allow batteries to be piggy-backed for longer duration. Take a look at http://www.idxtek.com/

Alternatively, Hawk-Woods are a UK company taht are cheaper and make lots of bits - power taps etc for v-locks. See them at http://www.hawkwoods.com/

Hope this helps

Graham

Owen Hughes May 6th, 2007 02:34 PM

brick?

Thanks Graham.

I've looked at the IDX systems before and they seem to suite my requirements the most. Bit pricey for me at the moment but I guess it'll go on the wishlist with a whole host of other things.

I guess I could just strap a brick to the back with some gaff in the meantime

Thanks again,

Owen

Graham Risdon May 7th, 2007 02:15 AM

Hi Owen

If it's just a weight issue then the brick wins hand down !!

Paul J Carey May 11th, 2007 12:20 PM

Recommend a 2nd Battery

My apologies if this is in 342 other threads, but can anyone recommend a reputable website that sells extra batteries for the XL2? I am shooting my first wedding in about 3 weeks and need at least one more battery (I currently only have the one that came with the camera).

Thanks in advance everyone!

- Paul

Adam Drescher May 11th, 2007 12:52 PM

Batteries

Hi, Paul

B&H Photo And Newegg.com are very good websites I buy everything from B&H. Hope this helps.

Digital Direct Productions
Adam Drescher

Canon XL2, Sony Vegas 7.0

Jarrod Whaley May 11th, 2007 01:14 PM

You can get aftermarket BP-945 knock-offs for around $20 on Ebay, including shipping, and they work every bit as well as the much more expensive Canon-branded batteries. I have one of these that I've been using at least once a week (and often more) for over three years and I have had exactly zero problems with it.

Paul J Carey May 11th, 2007 02:53 PM

Thanks fellas. Assuming the battery that came with the camera will last me about 2 hours, what battery would you recommend for shooting the whole day (wedding)?

Ryan Mueller May 11th, 2007 03:23 PM

Hi Paul,

I shot a wedding last weekend and used a Digital Concepts BP-941CL and it lasted the entire wedding and reception. Actually, I haven't charged it yet and have still been shooting for a good portion of today also! I have seen it around for about $30.00. Hope this helps.

Bill Westbury May 11th, 2007 05:29 PM

Zotz Digital sells the Lenmar LIC941 for about $70 and this is supposedly the same battery as the BP-945 (made at the same facility, not a knock-off). I have 2 of them and they work very well. If you are in Washington, they are in Oregon, so you should be able to get them fairly quickly....

Bill

Matt Newcomb May 11th, 2007 06:33 PM

I bought 3 BP-945's and I can got about a day and a half before I need to change them. Good batteries just give you one less thing you have to worry about.

Alex Dolgin May 12th, 2007 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Westbury (Post 677600)
Zotz Digital sells the Lenmar LIC941 for about $70 and this is supposedly the same battery as the BP-945 (made at the same facility, not a knock-off). I have 2 of them and they work very well. If you are in Washington, they are in Oregon, so you should be able to get them fairly quickly....

Bill

BTW Lenmars carry 3 years warranty, I do not know of any other makes that do.

Brandon Katcher May 14th, 2007 11:18 AM

Buy the cheap batteries off ebay. I got 7 of these for a week without electricity, and they worked great. The best one for me was a 7000mAh, like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/10HR-BP-945-BP94...QQcmdZViewItem

They may not last quite as long, but for 1/10th the price...

Brandon