DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Batteries for XL2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/28915-batteries-xl2.html)

Jarrod Whaley May 14th, 2007 11:47 AM

I have got to agree with Brandon. If you can get a perfectly functional battery for $20, why would you want to pay more?

If you're the type of person who feels more comfortable with pricey things, then by all means go with what sets your mind at ease. It just seems to me that at $20 a pop, even if your battery is a dud, you can get another one and you've still spent less than you would have spent on Canon- or Lenmar-branded batteries.

I might add though, even though I've already said it, that I have never had even a minor problem with these cheap batteries--nor have I ever heard of anyone else having trouble with them.

Paul J Carey May 14th, 2007 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarrod Whaley (Post 678959)
I have got to agree with Brandon. If you can get a perfectly functional battery for $20, why would you want to pay more?

If you're the type of person who feels more comfortable with pricey things, then by all means go with what sets your mind at ease. It just seems to me that at $20 a pop, even if your battery is a dud, you can get another one and you've still spent less than you would have spent on Canon- or Lenmar-branded batteries.

I might add though, even though I've already said it, that I have never had even a minor problem with these cheap batteries--nor have I ever heard of anyone else having trouble with them.

Thanks for the advise Jarrod and Brandon. I actually found 3 Lenmar batteries on Ebay for a total of $40. I'm feeling good about that price. I should hopefully have them within a week or so.

Mark Sasahara May 14th, 2007 02:03 PM

B&H sell BP-945 batteries made by a couple different mfrs. If you are shooting a wedding I suggest that you have at three to five, so you can go all day and have one on the charger.

I have the Anton Bauer Gold Mount on the back of my camera. With two Hytron 50 batteries, I can go pretty much all day. The A/B mount has a power tap, so I can run a light off the battery. This will cut down on battery run time, but it's convenient, since I don't have to have a battery belt for the light. For more than one accessory, the P-Tap Multi has three outlets. All your accessories must have the P-Tap, but you can easily modify all your accessories. Again, this will consume battery power, so you just want to be sure that you can plug in your charger somewhere close. I suggest the Titan Twin Charger, it can simultaneously charge two batteries.

The A/B battery on the back also helps balance the camera, since with the FU-1000 and manual lens make it front heavy.

There have been numerous discussions about this. Try an advanced search for "Anton Bauer", or "battery", "batteries".

Any new gear you get, test and familiarize yourself with the gear well before the job.

www.antonbuer.com

Adam Bray May 14th, 2007 06:30 PM

I got a couple BP-495 6000 mah knock offs from East Coast Photo for $40.00 each. I have never had any problems with them.

Mary Luoto October 19th, 2007 03:36 PM

XL2 battery question

I bought a battery for my Xl2---thought it was a Canon battery, but on the battery itself it says "for Canon BP-945-LI-ION 7.2 Ultra Hi- Power" apparently not a Canon, but a Canon impersonator. Has anyone used this battery? Would it be safe to use a non Canon battery in my Xl2?

Bill Hamell October 19th, 2007 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mary Luoto (Post 761575)
"for Canon BP-945-LI-ION 7.2 Ultra Hi- Power" apparently ... Has anyone used this battery? Would it be safe to use a non Canon battery in my Xl2?

From the description it is impossible to tell what battery you bought, however I use after market batteries exclusively, you should not have a problem with it.

Bill

Mary Luoto October 19th, 2007 06:42 PM

XL2 aftermarket battery

Thanks for your input. I no longer have the packaging for the battery that may have had a brand name on it and there is no name on the battery other than being marked "for Canon". My concern is non Canon products that may void Canon"s warranty if used and a problem occurs with the camera. I bought the battery from B&H and asked for a Canon battery when I placed my order, but did not realize until sometime later that it was actually not a Canon battery. I was wondering if anyone has used an after market battery and had any problems with the Xl2 camera functions.

Martin Catt October 20th, 2007 05:09 PM

I've got three genuine Canon batteries and three after-market batteries. I swap them around contantly, and haven't noticed any differences in run time, recharge times, etc. All have been flawless. I suspect they were made at the same manufacturing plant, as the finish is identical except for the Canon logo.

Hope that helps. It sure saved me a few $$$.

Martin

Jasmine Marie Adams October 21st, 2007 06:57 PM

just keep in mind it may not have as much juice in it as it says it does.

Mike Teutsch October 21st, 2007 07:41 PM

I have about 7 batteries, some Canon and some after market. I have 4 BP-945's, two Canon and two others. Never had a problem and in fact the non-Canon batteries last longer.

Mike

Joseph Andolina October 23rd, 2007 09:29 PM

I was given a 3rd party Canon compatable battery for a project I was hired for. And with the one I was given, I had a problem with accurate readings of how much time was left on the battery. It would fluctuate from fully charged to hald charged back to fully charged. I don;t have that problem with my Canon batteries.

Sprague Theobald January 14th, 2008 09:22 AM

Dual Battery 910 setup.

Hi,

I, as several others that I've read here, have a very small issue with this otherwise amazing camera; weight distribution. My searches here have shown me that the dual battery 910 setup will help a lot with this but so far I haven't found an actual description of how to attach the unit. I have the accessory plate which is screwed to the back on the camera and I hang my lav receiver on that. Does the 910 clip on that as well? Velcro? Cables needed? etc,? (I'm not a real clever guy and would hate to order it to find out I ordered the wrong thing). If someone knows of some pics which may show how it's to be set up I'd really appreciate it.

Many thanks in advance,

ST

Bill Ravens January 14th, 2008 09:32 AM

The 910 comes with slotted holes on the back plate, probably to hang off an AB type mount. I've never seen what this mates with, however. I have been hanging the 910 from my belt, as it also incorporates a belt clip.

Sprague Theobald January 14th, 2008 09:43 AM

Hi Bill,
Thanks for getting back to me on this. That's great, it sounds as though I can use the clip, as I do with the lav, to clip onto the back of the mount. How does the power get from the battery holder (in your case on your waist) to the camera? Is there a cable with shoe on the end that fits into the place where the battery normally sits on the camera?
Thanks,
ST

Jonathan Kirsch January 14th, 2008 10:23 AM

Traveling with batteries

From b-roll.net...

There's talk (and some confusion) about what kind of Li-Ion batteries, and how many, can be brought with you when traveling due to new law that went into effect Jan. 1. It's generally agreed that you can NOT have any Li-Ion batteries in checked baggage, and only 2 in carry-on (with the terminals taped and put in separate zip-loc bags). Anyone here travelled in the last two weeks? Hear anything?

I've got 4 BP-945s and a A/B Dionic that I travel with. Going to Argentina in two weeks. I'll check with the airline before I go, but just seeing if anyone had trouble with TSA yet.

Jonathan

Tony Davies-Patrick January 15th, 2008 05:13 AM

I certainly hope not!

I travel all over the world each year and have never had trouble so far taking batteries. You certainly shouldn't have trouble with baggage in the hold, especially if they are seperated from equipment inside the bag.

I'll be flying out to Africa again next month and will be carrying a tonne of batteries including 945's and large Ni-Cad units etc.

Michael Nistler January 18th, 2008 02:18 AM

Hi Jonathan,

Here's the scoop:

---

Also see: http://safetravel.dot.gov/whats_new_batteries.html

TSA Lithium Battery Regulation

Spare batteries are the batteries you carry separately from the devices they power. When batteries are installed in a device, they are not considered spare batteries.
You may not pack a spare lithium battery in your checked baggage
You may bring spare lithium batteries with you in carry-on baggage
Even though we recommend carrying your devices with you in carry-on baggage as well, if you must bring one in checked baggage, you may check it with the batteries installed.
In addition, there are limitations placed on the quantity (amount of lithium content) of batteries that you can transport. These quantity limits apply to both spare and installed batteries, and include the following:

“You can also bring up to two spare batteries with an aggregate equivalent lithium content of up to 25 grams, in addition to any batteries that fall below the 8-gram threshold. Examples of two types of lithium ion batteries with equivalent lithium content over 8 grams but below 25 … [include] 130 watt-hour ‘universal’ lithium ion battery [and] 160 watt-hour lithium ion battery for professional audio/visual equipment.”

---

Now then, your BP-945's are 7.2 volts and 4500 ma (4.5 amps) = 32.4 watts. So yes, you could easily pack two of your BP-945s in baggies. Unfortunately, the TSA regs don't seem to accommodate carrying on more than two lithium loose batteries - geesh! Since batteries in devices don't count under the 25 gram limit, be sure to keep whatever you can plugged in to your cameras, etc.

I've heard discussion of some shrewd videographers who plan on packing batteries in battery chargers, thinking they can circumvent the new regulations! If I was in a pinch, I'd only try this maneuver with checked luggage and not a carry-on where I have face-to-face negotiations. Of course, each person's mileage/luck with TSA may vary...

Incidentally, the reason for the zip-locked bag has nothing to do with prior baggie rules for fluids, etc. The battery zip-lock baggie rule seeks to avoid inadvertent battery terminal shorts which could lead to a fire. Obviously, if your batteries were discharged, carrying a bunch of them would be okay since there would not be a fire hazard. But since it's impractical for the TSA to validate everyone's battery charge status, they're forced to make terse regulations. And that's why they aren't concerned by batteries plugged into a device (ostensibly, no shorting problem) - got it now?

BTW, it's probably not a bad idea to have a write-up on hand to show the TSA you're an astute videographer and can demonstrate your carry-on batteries meet reguations (hopefully the volt/milli-ampere specs are on the batteries).

Good luck, Michael

Jonathan Kirsch January 18th, 2008 10:06 AM

Good info, Michael.

I recently spoke with some freelancer friends who do quite a bit of travelling and say they simply taped their terminals, took 3 BP-945s each (2 in baggies, 1 attached) and a A/B brick carried on and they had no probs.

I'm headed to Argentina in two weeks so I'll be able to tell more personal experience after I get back from there, but, as Michael suggested, I'll probably bring some documentation on the batteries.

Jonathan

Jonathan Kirsch February 10th, 2008 04:35 PM

Just got back from Argentina this morning...

No troubles in Denver/Chicago (US) or in Buenos Aires/Mendoza (Argentina). TSA/security never even stopped the x-ray machine to question all the toys I had in my camera bag, let alone wonder if the batteries were safe. I gave two to the other producer (who was on a different flight out of BA) but haven't talked to him yet.

Jonathan

Michael Nistler February 11th, 2008 01:23 AM

Thanks for the follow-up, Jonathan. The TSA specs aren't all that clear and I get the feeling their enforcement isn't a game of hardball.

Hope you had a fun trip, Michael

Nick Royer February 17th, 2008 12:21 AM

Canon Batteries for XL2

Does the Canon Bp-970 work on the XL2? I have the 930 and 945 now and I'm going to buy a GL2 as a second camera, so are the batteries all interchangeable between the two?

Chris Hurd February 17th, 2008 01:14 PM

Batteries are fully interchangeable, and backward and forward compatible, among the Canon XL, XH and GL series camcorders.

Guy Godwin June 2nd, 2008 08:43 AM

Has anyone tried the Ikan IBC-945? It is listed as a replacement to the BP-945.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...t_Battery.html

Jason Vick February 28th, 2009 08:27 PM

Power 2000 8000mAh Lithium-Ion Battery

Folks,

I'd greatly appreciate your advice on this.

Just bought a BP-970, 7.4 v, 8000 mAh Lithium battery. This is a battery with the largest power capacity in the market.

Is it safe to use it with my Canon XL2?

Do you folks use this kind of battery on your Canon XL2?

Thanks much!

Jason

Marco Leavitt March 1st, 2009 01:00 AM

No worries. I have used Power 2000 (and Lenmar) batteries for years and they are great. There is no reason to buy Canon batteries. However, if you ever have to ship the camera to Canon for servicing make sure you only send Canon batteries with it or it will void your warranty.

Steve Barazza October 29th, 2009 07:02 PM

Battery Will not connect

Hello out there!
the battery for my XL2 was working fine. Has a full charge and all of a sudden it wont make contact with the camera. Ive tried the other two batteries and they work fine. Tried reconnecting several times with same result...any thoughts?

Michael Nistler October 30th, 2009 03:15 AM

Steve,

Perhaps if you posted a pix of the connector and contacts, that would help us. Or give us a more detailed explanation of the problem "it won't connect..." Does the battery latch into position or wobbles lose? Is the battery seated firmly? When you connect the battery to the charger, does the charge or fully charged light come on?

If I had to guess at the primary places of failure, I'd say the battery case was damaged (dropped/cracked) or the metal polarity pins are bent/damaged. Once I had a pin that wasn't fully seated in the battery housing - I used a small jewler's screwdriver to carefully insert it back in the retaining slot; it's been fine ever since.

Sadly, I'm in the process of selling my beloved XL-2s and gear. As you know, these are great cameras with beautiful lens and offer excellent audio recording. I could go on and on but then I'd never be able to part with them!

Good luck, Michael

Steve Barazza October 30th, 2009 02:25 PM

Battery Won't connect

Hi Michael,
Everything seems to be physically ok with the battery. No cracks no damage and to the contacts. There is slop when the battery is latched into place. It's not tight like the other battery which works fine. Is there anything I can do to tighten it up? I tried to push it in tighter with my hand and it still would not make sufficient contact. It seems to be hanging a little lower than the other battery as well. Can I make any adjustments?

Thanks

Michael Nistler October 31st, 2009 01:47 AM

Steve,

Hmm, it sounds like there is a problem between the metalic battery terminals and the connectors on the camera housing. This connection should be the friction point that allows the housing to lock in place.

We're under the impression that using the connector from the power supply to the camera makes a good connection. If so, then we can assume the two sets of spring loaded pin-head shaped prongs inside the camera body are doing their job.

If so, that only leaves the battery. And if the battery doesn't mate with the camera body, then it shouldn't mate with the battery charger either, right? And your other battery connects fine to both the camera and the battery charger, correct?

So this leaves only the questionable battery. In that case, there's something amiss with the metalic battery terminals - those two silver-colored vertical strip connectors. Give them a close visual inspection and I'd guess one of the pins is bent, broken, etc.

Good luck! Michael

Peter Sheridan July 18th, 2010 10:29 AM

Batteries for the Xl2

Hello all, I have BP-930 standard battery with my camera and am thinking of buying a 945 (I dont really want to mount any batteries at the rear) Will I need a different charger than the standard one supplied with the 930? Also has anyone had any NON Canon batteries that they can reccommend..............Pete.

Piotr Zubik July 18th, 2010 03:55 PM

Hi,

You don't need a different charger to charge 945 batteries. The stock one will do. I have used Non-Canon batteries and, generally, not experienced any problems other than that one of them almost died for no reason - it will last about 20-30min before fully discharged. Therefore, I bought another one and it's good, lasts longer better than my other no-name batteries, though I haven't used it a lot yet.

Martin Catt July 18th, 2010 07:00 PM

I've had my XL2 for almost four years now. I still have ALL my Canon-brand batteries (four, all BP945's) and they work pretty much as well as they did new. Of the four after-market batteries I bought, two wouldn't hold enough charge to run the camera 30 minutes within 6 months, while one failed outright. That was when I decided that while expensive, the genuine Canon batteries were worth the extra money.

I bought a pair of Lenmar-brand chargers, mainly because they could run off a car's lighter socket for charging on the road. They appear to work just fine, but I use them only when I have to. I prefer using the Canon charger when time permits.

Martin

Robert Muncie July 19th, 2010 06:20 PM

I have three of the Lenmar long life batteries and get several hours off each one. Cost wise, looking at 70 bucks so affordable as well

Peter Sheridan September 9th, 2010 11:17 AM

Removal of battery?

Hello All, on reading the instructions for my XL2 regarding battery installation/removal on page 11 it states
"Remove the battery pack after use" Does this mean remove battery everytime after using the camera?
Or is it ok to leave the battery in place............Thanks Pete.

Edward Carlson September 9th, 2010 12:06 PM

It's mainly so you don't draw power from your battery when the camera is turned off. The camera draws a little bit of power even when it's off. Also you don't want to accidently bump the on switch and drain your battery. Frequent deep cycling of Li-ion batteries is detrimental to them. I leave mine on sometimes, but usually take it off if I know I'm not going to be using the camera for a while.

Allan Black September 12th, 2010 01:58 AM

Really .. not saying you're mistaken but that's first time I've heard that one.

The battery keeps charging the cams internal lithium battery while the cam is switched off. You have to take it off to recharge it of course, but if you remove the battery and leave it off long enough, (a month I think) the internal battery goes flat and you lose all the cams custom settings.
Cheers.

Don Palomaki September 15th, 2010 05:32 PM

I suspect it may be a precaution related to long term storage. It may be that there is no "automatic low voltage shut off" when the camcorder is off, and it might be possible to end up with "reverse charge" on a weak cell in the battery, not good, over time.

If you are talking about a few days, probably not an issue, but if yoare talkign about months it is likely another stroy.

Roberto Conte November 19th, 2010 12:04 PM

Batteries failure?

Hi everybody, can anyone help me please?

I have an XL2 with 3 batteries.
When I connect 2 of them to the camera, the camera doesn't power up.
Using another battery, the camera works so I guess it's the batteries at fault.

When I put those batteries on the standard CA-920 charger, the light flashes a couple of times and then remains lit but batteries doesn't charge.
With the third battery no problem.

Those 2 batteries (original BP-930 and BP-945) work until one week ago, the only thing I did was a test with a digital tester to measure the Amps.

Any suggestion to make them work again?

Thanks for any reply.
Ciao
Roberto

Chris Soucy November 19th, 2010 02:34 PM

Hi, Roberto...........

Hmm, think you may have "terminated with extreme prejudice" I'm afraid.

Those batteries have an intelligent chip on board which measure all sorts of things (which is where so many "knock off" batteries come unstuck).

One of those would be current drawn, and a test with a meter may have taken them so far into the red zone they shut down to prevent what (they believed) may have been a catastrophic camera melt down otherwise.

If that is so, and I can't think of any other explanation, they're stuffed, quite frankly.

Sorry.

CS

Roberto Conte November 22nd, 2010 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Soucy (Post 1589749)
Hmm, think you may have "terminated with extreme prejudice" ... a test with a meter may have taken them so far into the red zone ... they're stuffed, quite frankly

Hi Chris, thanks a lot for explanation.
I supposed I did a mistake, but I hope there was way to fix them...
Do you know if Canon service could fix or repair them?

Bye and greetings from Italy
Ciao
Roberto