Canon Germany gives MSRP: 5499,- EUR (gulp) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old July 15th, 2004, 05:28 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Canon Germany gives MSRP: 5499,- EUR (gulp)

Avaibility will be end of September, recommended price is 5499,- EUR, which is a hefty 1000,- EUR increase compared to the XL1s.

So start saving up!

Source: http://www.canon.de/presse/infos/vid/xl2/
Sebastian Scherrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2004, 05:54 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Well, 5499 EUR is 3,671.93 GBP(£) in the UK, so it looks like I won't be able to afford an XL2 anytime soon :(

Maybe if I sell my current cameras and... computer, TV, house... shoes, clothes, food etc. ;•)

But seriously by the time I can afford this, a worthy 3CCD HDV cam will have been released with true 16:9, 25p, 1 inch chips harddisk recording, satelite navigation, internet access, built in microwave, toaster....

Don't you just love technology ;]
Dave Croft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2004, 06:11 AM   #3
Regular Crew

hefty price tag

Frankly, in my opinion this is just sick.

Even the DVX-100, which is not easily available in Germany and considered "pro-gear" over here is only about 4100,- EUR, 1400,- less then this "prosumer camcorder".

Btw, the US price being 4999 is "just" 4.044,50,- EUR.

So, live in NTSC-Land or better be rich!
Prices may drop later, though.
Sebastian Scherrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2004, 08:00 AM   #4
Trustee

There will be PAL ones available from US stores I'm sure. Maybe not immediately but sometime. They will probably be cheaper thatn buying locally.

Aaron
Old July 15th, 2004, 10:23 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Pal just always seems to be more expensive, maybe cause of the higher resolution. In Europe there is also VAT (very annoying tax ;) so we have to pay significantly more than our NTSC cousins across the pond.

There is also extra tax on any kind of dv recorder over here (which is why many consumer cams have no DV in, unless you pay more for the DV in enabled version).
Dave Croft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2004, 12:40 PM   #6
Trustee

I am indeed somewhat disappointed in the price of the XL2 even for the NTSC version. With lenses being separate (and very expensive), and the camera insides not really having anything incredibly different from what's already out there in the DVX100A and other high end cams, I am wondering if these prices are justified.

I'm hoping they'll actually be a lot less on the street, like $4000 with lens.
Peter Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2004, 04:57 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Just wait 3 months from day of release and you`ll find this camera on sale for a damn site less than the rrp. Sellers will start competing for your money and you`ll get a camera at a price its worth. Just in time for your Christmas list :-)
Andrew Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2004, 06:19 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Let the pricing battle begin!

Well, as 5499 is a steal (just for the record, that's 6 850.10 in USD), I might go abroad to get one if I can sort out all those warranty issues. Shouldn't be much of a problem as long as I stay in Europe. I live by the Swiss border - strange enough, but it seems like our usually expensive neighbours can be quite a bargain when it comes to DV camcorders...

IMTO, the price tag was to be expected - it happens when hyped up stuff like the XL2 becomes available.
Guess they want to cash in on the geeks as much as they possibly can. *g*

For the poorer geeks not willing to go in debt for a DV camera
(like me *g*), I expect (and very much welcome) a heavy pricing battle a couple of months after the XL2 made it's debut, and hope for a price that's a little less off the ground.
Sebastian Scherrer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders