Theoretical question, what if Canon used the whole XL2 chip for 4:3? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old July 25th, 2004, 07:28 PM   #1
Wrangler

Theoretical question, what if Canon used the whole XL2 chip for 4:3?

Would you then be able get even better 16:9 using an anamorphic adapter?
Michael Wisniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2004, 11:08 PM   #2
Barry Wan Kenobi

Completely theoretical, so impossible to state an absolute answer.

Anamorphic adapters introduce difficulties of their own (astigmatism, primarily, but also limitations on use of filters and other such). However, a full-surface-of-the-chip XL2 with an anamorphic adapter would maybe provide higher quality... we don't know, because the chip is megapixel already and we don't know what compromises in the image there will be from that decision. However, it'd be fairly easy to judge once the camera comes out: put a DVX/anamorphic up against an XL2/native and if there's a significant picture quality difference (assumedly in the DVX's favor) then the answer to your question would probably be "yes". If there's no discernable difference, or if the XL2 is better, then the answer would likely be "no".
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2004, 06:28 AM   #3
Major Player

Hmmm.... I don't think this test is ok. Because is not posible to use whole chip.`In 4:3 you use the center arrea (with lines of pixels turned off above, beneath and lateral of this arrea) and in 16:9 you still get lines of pixels turned off above and beneath the used arrea.
I read that canon will provide an SDK kit for programers. Maybe this way someone could activate&use the all area of the chip? (you'd also get a wider pic).
Old July 26th, 2004, 07:32 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

The SDK will do many things, but I seriously doubt that it'll activate non-firing pixels.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2004, 05:25 AM   #5
Major Player

But it would be nice!
And if you could get all that raw data out from the big (resolution) CCD to a computer... :)
Old July 27th, 2004, 10:21 AM   #6
Trustee

I wonder if you could turn it into a 4:4:4 camera.
Peter Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2004, 08:47 AM   #7
Major Player

You know, that SDK could mean a lot! I'm positive we'll see some third party apps for this camcorder! Those apps will be in your accesories bag with the tripod and all! :)
Does anyone know about any other camcorder with such a feature? I'm curios what others have done with that camcorder!

Although it could also be a useless feature! I mean, in a Sony, where you get all kind of features software disabled, an SDK could bring it all to life! But Canon gives you all from the begining! So maybe an SDK would not necessary bring new features to the camcorder! :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders