Possibility in seeing XL2 bit earlier - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old August 6th, 2004, 09:58 AM   #16
Trustee

Thanks, Kaku, for taking the time to explore all our questions, and for provide a very nice analysis of the camera....

<<Barry, I thought maybe the GL2 users had more detailed impressins of fluorite lens since they have experience in the lens with the material, not to mix up the ability of the type of the lens. But come to think about it, GL2 has nothing similar to compre. Our impression of fluorite lens by swithing between x3 lens might explain the difference well.>>

I've always felt that the flourite lense on the gl2 is superior to the 16x IS-II lens on the xl1s...and while I own the 3x lens...I think I've used it once, as I really dislike the image I've gotten from it. How was your feeling about the 3x on the xl2...do you consider the image to be acceptable? (albeit lower in quality than the new 20x)

Barry
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2004, 10:09 AM   #17
Trustee

I'm glad that I could be a help.

The footage was very good.
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2004, 10:41 AM   #18
Trustee

I know it's a bit off topic but any word from the Canon guys on a release date? I know the end of August- beginning of September. I was hoping that maybe you might have heard some inside info on a more concrete accurate date.

Thanks again!
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2004, 10:52 AM   #19
Trustee

Marty,

The dealer person mentioned it will be after 20th. I did not make any special request about getting it earlier. I don't push those things. However, they might bring the demo unit few days before for me to look at more. Sorry did not answer sooner.

Barry,

New lens seemed to be brighter than x3 lens. But I thought I still need the x3 lens for indoor shooting. The widest perspection with x3 looked very nice and wide.

Forgot few things to mention.
Canon people appreciate feedback from users in U.S. and other world. They said the most improvements are based on the user feedback in U.S..

They mentioned that XL2 is 16:9 native. They commited more for the future format than trying to make the XL2 based on 4:3. Great move.
Old August 6th, 2004, 04:55 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Kaku,
You have my most sincere thanks. You have done a tremendous job reporting to the community here on your experience with the XL2! I am very pleased with what I've heard from you, and this bolsters my determination to pay off my bills and purchase an XL2 to accompany my XL1s on future shooting endeavors. I thank you again Kaku for your effort on enlightening the community!!!
Christopher Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2004, 09:07 AM   #21
Major Player

Kaku.

Did you happen to observe whether the shoulder pad could be removed?
Old August 8th, 2004, 09:18 AM   #22
Trustee

I thought I read here before that it is not designed to be removed. However with a trusty screwdriver it could be taken off anyway.
Can anyone confirm or deny this?
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2004, 02:25 PM   #23
Obstreperous Rex

I can confirm that it's not intended to be removed.

To remove it you would need not only a screwdriver, but also some wire cutters. Ouch, there goes the warranty!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2004, 06:09 PM   #24
Trustee

The shoulder pad has two channels of XLR connectors, so as Chris says, it is not intended to removed.
Old August 8th, 2004, 06:14 PM   #25
Major Player

Bummer. As a wild life shooter, I don't like to carry any unnecessary equipment. And if there is one item I don't need , it's this one that can't be left behind.

Thanks Kaku, and Marty and Chris.
Old August 8th, 2004, 09:41 PM   #26
Trustee

kaku,

do you feel that the 3x on XL2 has more resolution than 3x on the Xl1s? i just got one of those 3x lens. i wanna keep it for the XL2.
Old August 8th, 2004, 10:17 PM   #27
Trustee

What I can say at this point is that, there was cleaer difference in the new lens and the x3 lens. I can't say x3 works better with XL2 than XL1 and XL1s for sure, but the new higher resolution ccd will improve the image over all. So I would say your x3 lens would be usefull. I would hope Canon comes out with the new version of x3 lens in the future.
Old August 9th, 2004, 07:22 AM   #28
Trustee

thx for reply.
Old August 9th, 2004, 09:47 AM   #29
Trustee

no sweat.

I found out that Canon Japan is having a preview event on 27th of Aug..
Which means XL2 won't be available until then.
Old August 9th, 2004, 10:10 AM   #30
Trustee

I really hope it isn't long after that! I have a few jobs in the 2nd week of September and was hoping to use it for those!
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders