Smooth at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old September 4th, 2004, 12:49 AM   #1
Major Player

Smooth

16:9, 24p, 1/48, the nicest dv image I've seen straight out of the camera....really smooth and clean images. Before I say what I really like so far, what I don't like: for 5K Canon didn't need to cheap out on the buttons and knobs. I'm sure every buyer would opt to spend the extra buck to have better/tighter feeling controls on the iris, gain, aspect ratio etc.

Other than that it's built really nicely, and more redesigned than I expected. It's kind of a futuristic Italian racecar thing going. The lens is really solid and FAST, I mean incredible in low light and very sharp and accurate. The manual focus and zoom servos are very nice, and I haven't shot anything but manual primes and cine zooms for a long time. I had absoltely no trouble pulling focus in really low light...even at 860mm.

New vf is cool, bigger and more resolute...nice 16:9.

Just got a little chance to program a preset with cine gamma, cine color and some little knee, pedestal adjustments, nice results in the little time I've had. Absolutely beauiful images...camera and glass.
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2004, 05:59 AM   #2
Wrangler

Is the improved auto focus perforamnce a lens thing, or the result of improved focus assessment/processing in the body, in which cast the focus performance with the older 16x should be improved as well. Or maybe some of both. Anyone know?
Old September 4th, 2004, 06:20 AM   #3

In short, it is both.

Will you see "better focusing" with the older 16X XL IS II lens on the new XL2 due to the newer focusing assessment/ processing in the body of the XL2? Good question. I have not done such a test yet. (Yet...) Possibly, but probably not as significant as with the newer 20X XL IS lens.

Jim, do you have the older 16X IS II lens in your arsenal at all?

- don
CREATE and NETWORK with http://www.bosfcpug.org
and also http://fcpugnetwork.org
Don Berube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2004, 10:07 AM   #4
Major Player

<<Jim, do you have the older 16X IS II lens in your arsenal at all?>>

No, only the the 14x manual, but I could definitely see using the AF (which I haven't ever used on a camera) to accurately track moving shots...that's something I'll play with when I get a chance.
Old September 4th, 2004, 10:24 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Jim,

How does the 14x manual hold up?

Thanks.
Joel Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2004, 10:50 AM   #6
Trustee

Jim

to add to what you said about the "cheaping out". While the camera does maintain its overall high build quality, I was surprised that the connector covers are made out of a harder, seemingly easy-to-break, plastic, rather than a more rubberized material...I just checked my dvx and gl2 and the material is similar on both, but the xl2 seems a little more plastic-ey.

Have you noticed that the viewfinder vertical swivel seems a little loose...it won't fall on its own, but it in an hour's shooting on a tripod I probably had to adjust it 4 or 5 times because it would move downward as I put my eye up to it. Also is there a rattle in your viewfinder?

Glad to hear your summation of the image quality pretty much jibes with what I'm seeing.

Barry
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2004, 11:06 PM   #7
Major Player

<<Have you noticed that the viewfinder vertical swivel seems a little loose...it won't fall on its own, but it in an hour's shooting on a tripod I probably had to adjust it 4 or 5 times because it would move downward as I put my eye up to it. Also is there a rattle in your viewfinde>>

Haven't noticed the swivel Barry or the rattle. Doing a bunch of hand held and tripod natural light stuff, got some very nice footage today in a few locations.
Old September 5th, 2004, 08:04 AM   #8
Inner Circle

I heard from a rep once, that the viewfinder swivel is intentionally designed to be a little "loose"... so that the viewfinder is not left UP, and exposed to sunlight. ????
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders