Best case for XL2? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old September 7th, 2004, 04:35 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Best case for XL2?

Any recomendations for a camera case?
Old September 7th, 2004, 07:22 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Best Case

The slightly larger size of the XL2 means that standard soft cases, such as the Kata XL-1 series case, may not fit right now. Zotz is checking to see if it will work. I'm planning on buying 2 cases; 1 soft for daily use and a custom hard travel case for trips. You want to disassemble the camera during airline travel, etc. since any rough handling can put a strain on the lens mount.

I'm betting Kata will have an appropriate case soon.
Old September 7th, 2004, 08:23 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Paul,

When you say the "Kata XL-1 Series case", which specific Kata case are you referring to? I just ordered a Kata CCC-10, thinking this would be big enough for the XL2. Does anyone out there with an XL2 have this case? Does it fit? Thanks.
Joel Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2004, 09:04 PM   #4
Trustee

I was at samy's this weekend trying to find a case for my xl2...the Kata bag ---( I'm not sure the number, but it was next to the Canon xl1 case, and appeared like it was the right size)---didn't work as far as I was concerned...the camera fit inside, but closing the flap was barely possible in my opinion...I was concerned about pressure on the viewfinder-mic assembly.

I ended up buying the Lowe-Pro AV commercial. The xl2 fits in it nicely and it has a few nicely placed pockets as well as a rain cover. I carried it around all weekend...nice bag.

Barry
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2004, 09:50 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Does the Lowe-Pro AV commercial also have room for an extra lens (3X Wide Angle + 20X)?
Old September 7th, 2004, 09:58 PM   #6
Trustee

It's a bit of a squeeze, but I was able to comfortably fit

the xl2 w/ 20x mounted
3x
16x manual

Barry
Old September 7th, 2004, 10:01 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks Barry,
Could the case be the AW Commercial?
Old September 7th, 2004, 10:12 PM   #8
Trustee

Greg..

Actually its the Commercial AW DV....(thanks for making me look this up...I paid $100 too much for the bag...damn)....the AW bag is for still cameras. Now it is essentially the same exact bag with out all the foam dividers (the DV only has two...the AW is like a small tenament block inside)...looks like you can get the DV a little cheaper.

Barry
Old September 8th, 2004, 05:39 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Barry,

Do you remember how much the too small Kata case cost? If you can't remember the model number, then maybe I can figure it out based on the price. Thanks.
Old September 8th, 2004, 06:19 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Nevermind Barry,

According to the dimensions of the Kata CCC-10, and the Canon XL2, it should fit. And Zotz is selling the CCC-10 with the XL2 in one of their custom packages.
Old September 8th, 2004, 09:06 AM   #11
Trustee

Joel,

I'm not sure what case I was looking at, but it was most likely the ccc-10...the camera fit fine lengthwise, but the lid is a sloping zippered half moon, and it was severly impeded by the viewfinder...I probably could have gotten it closed, but I didn't want to try..

Barry
Old September 8th, 2004, 09:17 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Barry,

Here is a link to CCC-10:

http://www.kata-bags.com/Item.asp?pid=7&cid=65&perentId=1&ProdLine=1

It doesn't look like it has a "sloping zippered half moon" so I am hoping you were looking at a different bag.

Sorry to beat this into the ground, but I won't be getting my camera for another month or so (since I ordered the body only kit), so I want to make sure my bag works. I definitely wouldn't want to force the viewfinder in. Thanks!

PS. If anyone is interested, B+H has these bags on sale for $165 in their Used section, even though their condition is marked as "N" which means they are brand new and still in the manufacturers packaging. It's a pretty good deal.
Old September 8th, 2004, 10:27 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Hi Barry,
I am getting ready to order the Commercial AW DV....one last question.

Do you have to adjust the mic for the camera to fit?
Old September 8th, 2004, 11:55 AM   #14
Trustee

No, the camera fits into it perfectly...although I believe the bag was made for the xl1(it has a tage that says "perfect for the xl1") it seems to fit the xl2 even better.

Barry
Old September 8th, 2004, 12:05 PM   #15
Trustee

Joel..

yes this is a different bag, and it looks like it will work just fine...the bag I saw isn't on their website...so perhaps it has been discontinued...it was like their DV bag, only bigger.

Barry
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders