DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Canon 3x wide angle lens (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/32598-canon-3x-wide-angle-lens.html)

Marty Hudzik February 23rd, 2005 07:49 AM

Thanks!
I has actually found it already by searching on the Canon site for XL1 and then in the doenloads I found the manuals for the accessories. The mthod to find these was very convoluted so I couldn't post the link as it wouldn't work without going through the 5-6 step process on their site.

Marty

Kevin Janisch March 2nd, 2005 03:44 PM

Canon doesn't recommend using the 3x Wide Angle Lens with the XL2?!?!?

I was inquiring about the 3x Wide Angle Zoom for an XL2 that I plan on purchasing in 2 weeks from ZGC and Christine replied:

"Regarding the 3x Wide angle lens, I must let you know that Canon doesn't recommend it with the New XL2 cameras.
It was originally designed a few years back for the original XL1. Since then the cameras have improved but the lens
hasn't. You are better off with a Century Precision adapter either the .6x or the .7x. We have been told by Canon they will
not be introducing a new one. "

Has anybody else heard about this? Everything I've been reading on the board states that the lens on the XL2 is superb, aside from the focus problem.

If I go with the Century adaptor, what are my options as far as filters (polarizers, ND, etc.)? Thanks.

A. J. deLange March 2nd, 2005 04:15 PM

On their website where it describes the XL2 under the list of features is a paragraph which says "Within the Canon XL system alone there are four lenses: the new 20x OIS, 16x OIS, 16x Manual, and 3x Wide." If that can't be considered a recommendation I guess I wouldn't know what to call it.

Bruce S. Yarock March 2nd, 2005 09:09 PM

I bought the 3x wide lens a month after I bought the xl2. I hardly take it off now, because I'm doing mostly interviews. It's a great lens, and I'm happy I bought it. ( Don't know anything about the century lens, except that it would make the 20x lens even more front heavy.
Good luck.
Bruce yarock

Tony Davies-Patrick March 3rd, 2005 04:09 AM

Past discussions on this forum (check "Search" for X 3 lens) give some indications that there may be a few problems matching the XL2 to the Canon X3 lens - such as not showing the full field of view, and some back-focus problems (I have not tried the combination, so forgive me if I'm wrong on this).

What I can't understand is why Canon have not released a new wide angle lens, or at least an updated version of the X3 lens. Wide angle lenses are a very important part of filming, and it just seems strange that the wide-angle section of the system is weak, compared to the telephoto.

One lens that I'd buy in a heartbeat, would be a true wide angle or X3 manual version lens.

Pete Bauer March 3rd, 2005 08:46 AM

I'm with both Bruce and Tony. I bought the 3x and have been happy using it. On the other hand, expert users have longed for improvements in certain areas, like the much-discussed back-focus issue...no quibbles with creating a market demand for better and better stuff!

The 20x is a wonderful lens, but is simply too long for a lot of purposes. I can't imagine trying to get by without the 3x. Sure, the Century wide angle adaptor is an option. Personally, though, I'd rather use the interchangeable lens architecture of the XL system than put even more heavy layers of glass way out in front of the CCD.

Bruce S. Yarock March 3rd, 2005 03:57 PM

I'm still waiting for an opportunity to put my 20x back on the camera...
Bruce Yarock

Frank Aalbers March 3rd, 2005 09:03 PM

Did a REAL Canon representative say that ? Or is it just someone trying to promot Century Optics lenses ?

Richard Alvarez March 3rd, 2005 09:22 PM

The original poster , posted a remark, made by a retailer, referencing a coment made to them by Canon.

So the original poster is a third hand account.

Greg Milneck March 3rd, 2005 09:32 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Richard Alvarez : The original poster , posted a remark, made by a retailer, referencing a coment made to them by Canon.

So the original poster is a third hand account. -->>>

Translation:
"The Canon 3X is currently out of stock....we do have plenty of the Century Wide Angle adapters in stock though"

I have the 3X and we use it as often as the 20X....no problems here...wouldnt live without it in the kit.

Chris Ward March 4th, 2005 09:24 AM

I just wanted to add that we used the 3X wide angle lens with the XL2 on a recent shoot and that it performed very well. Although the 16x manual servo is our primary lens, I wouldn't shoot without the 3x.

Kevin Janisch March 4th, 2005 09:42 AM

"Translation:
"The Canon 3X is currently out of stock....we do have plenty of the Century Wide Angle adapters in stock though"

I have the 3X and we use it as often as the 20X....no problems here...wouldnt live without it in the kit."

Greg,

This is not the case. I have had nothing but excellent experiences with ZGC (thank you DVI for the recommendation). I bought my Xl1s last February from Christine and was so satisified that I shot her an email this past week to get a quote for the XL2. Her honesty is refreshing as instead of just giving me the quote for the 3X and pulling in an additional $1200, she relayed information they got from Canon. They do have the 3X in stock and when I mentioned I was a member of this community, I got a discount on the XL2. No complaints here.

Everything I've read here on the board states that the 3X is an excellent lens with the XL2 with the added resolution (with exception to the back focus issue) so I was suprised by Christine's statement. Anybody have any experience with the 3X with the XL2 shooting landscapes? Any frame grabs or footage would be greatly appreciated. Many Thanks.

Kevin

Lauri Kettunen March 4th, 2005 12:08 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Kevin Janisch : "Anybody have any experience with the 3X with the XL2 shooting landscapes? Any frame grabs or footage would be greatly appreciated. -->>>

Kevin, like many others, I was surprised about your comment. I've been shooting landscapes with the 3X lens and XL2 and been very satisfied with the result. Some time ago I posted one frame taken with 3X & XL2 to www.koillismaa.fi/~lkettune. If needed, can add footages as well, but really don't recognize a real problem with the XL2 and 3X lens.

I would also be bit surprised, if Canon came out with a new 3X lens, for the reason that the next XLx is not going to be a SD format camera, and, in my understanding, they will have to design new lenses for the HDV format cameras. Thus, it's difficult to conceive they produced a new 3X lens only for the XL2 markets. (Of course, what Canon will do, does not depend on my speculation.)

Kevin Janisch March 4th, 2005 02:30 PM

Lauri,

I was suprised as well. Thank you so much for the frame.

Rachel Oliver March 6th, 2005 06:31 AM

3X ND strength?

Hi;

Can anyone tell me the strength of the 3X wide angle's internal ND?

Olly