XL2 Awesome, but shipped with the wrong lens at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old September 29th, 2004, 05:27 PM   #1
Regular Crew

XL2 Awesome, but shipped with the wrong lens

I have to start out with, "I love my new camera". The resolution is phenomenal (for DV), the colours are brilliant, the set-ups and menus (although you have to go deep for some commonly used functions) are intuitive.
My only complaint is with the 20X lens. I'm not saying the lense is bad, on the contrary, it is an excellent piece of glass. I just don't think that this is the lens this camera should ship with. I wish I bought the body only kit so that I could have afforded to buy the 16X (Manual for me). I have found that the 20X lens, at it's widest, is too much of a telephoto for normal use. Unless you are a sports videographer, this lense is too long for daily use. Even if you are a sports vid pro, once you get into any interview situations, you have to be pretty far away for a 2 shot.

What I think would be the ultimate set-up:
Ship with the 16X or 3X (up to the buyer)
purchase the one you haven't got and purchase a tele extender.

Now that I have the 20X, I still need a 3X and will eventually purchase a 16x manual.
Old September 29th, 2004, 07:00 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I can't say that I would want to give up the 20x, its pretty awesome. With that said however, I had just sold my XL1s and was in the process of selling my XL1 when I got the XL2. After a night of playing with it I had a somewhat similar revelation, weight being another deciding factor, and ended up keeping the lens off of my XL1. Though it did drop its price and was quite a hit to the pocketbook, gotta say I think it was the right decision. Variety is the spice of life, but if I had to choose, I'm pretty sure I'd hafta go with the 20x, at the end of the day its just a better lens.

- Ray
Old September 30th, 2004, 03:11 AM   #3
RED Code Chef

I'm wondering why you bought it then Evan? All the focal lengths
from the lenses where available the minute the camera was
announced. You can see that the lens isn't that wide (nor the
16x manual!). Then you could've waited for the body only version
and got it with the 3x and/or 16x lens.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2004, 10:09 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I guess I jumped the gun a little then, didn't I?
Old September 30th, 2004, 10:17 AM   #5
Major Player

<< I have found that the 20X lens, at it's widest, is too much of a telephoto for normal use. Unless you are a sports videographer, this lense is too long for daily use. Even if you are a sports vid pro, once you get into any interview situations, you have to be pretty far away for a 2 shot.>>

You don't have to be far away at all. If I have a moment I could post a grab of a two shot interview I just did w/ a pair of Olympians at Lake Placid. I was in a perfectly normal setup for it. The USOC head was able to stand and smile gleefully at the "gorgeous image" (his term). on my field monitor, my sound man was able to watch the same monitor and monitor level (thanks to the new XL2 VF meters)

The amazing range of the lens allowed for a 10 hour day of documentary footage following athletes from close ups where you can see the sweeat on their brows to the longest shots from the top of the 120 meter ski jump at Lake Pacid.

No...this is the right lens. There were a few times that I turned to my crew and wished I had a 25-30mm lens for really tight moments, but that just reminded me to order a 3x lens today before the next segment.

Going back to the 2 shot comment. Not only was I in ideal position for a great 2 shot that included the teams Verizon shirt logos at the request of the USOC, but I could instantly go tight for closeups and get nice, fairly shallow DOF of the indoor luge facility for that particular interview segment.

I wish I could post a couple of grabs here for you.
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2004, 03:17 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Clearly I stand corrected.
I Still wish the choice of shipping lens were up to the buyer.

I guess on the one shoot I have done so far, I just had the need for a wider lens and needed to share my thoughts. I hate being unprepared.

A 3X will be in my bag by next week.
Old September 30th, 2004, 05:28 PM   #7
Trustee

Slightly OT question..

Sorry to be a bit OT but Jim, out of interest, do you shoot 16:9 or 4:3 with your Xl2?
Everyone is talking about the 16:9, but for my purposes, I'm probably going to use 4:3 more so I'm interested in comments regarding the quality of it. The general feeling I get is that most people seem to consider the 4:3 subpar and for my type of use, maybe another camera would be best.

Aaron
Old September 30th, 2004, 06:07 PM   #8
Major Player

Just to put things into perspective,

How much are the 3X and the 16x manuals? And the 20x itself?

I may as well ask how much is the body only.... let's see if we can figure out how much cost savings or bank breaking this could be.
Ronald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2004, 06:56 PM   #9
Major Player

<<Sorry to be a bit OT but Jim, out of interest, do you shoot 16:9 or 4:3 with your Xl2? >>

Only in 16:9 so far.
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2004, 04:02 AM   #10
RED Code Chef

<<<-- Originally posted by Evan Fisher : I Still wish the choice of shipping lens were up to the buyer. -->>>

The choice IS UP to the buyer. You can order the body only kit
with the 3x or 16x manual or whatever you want. Just not now.

And a wide angle attachment will be available (.7x already is)
for the new lens as well.

You DON'T have to buy it with the 20x full. That's a choice you
make or in your case already made. I think it is unfair to blame
Canon for this.

Sure we would like a wider 20x or 16x lens, but it isn't there.
Get the 3x lens, that's what it is here for. I'm glad we AT LEAST
HAVE THE CHOICE to select a lens which best suits the person
using the camera!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders