Tape drop out problems with XL2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old September 30th, 2004, 02:49 PM   #1
Tourist

Tape drop out problems with XL2

This may belong in another forum, but I'm having this particular problem with the XL2.
In looking over my tapes, there are a few moments where the tape drops out--you know, the image flickers and the sound cuts out for a second. This has happened with other cameras I've used, but they were rented cameras that I assumed had taken quite a beating. This is a brand new XL2. What causes this problem and is there any solution? Fortunately I was only doing some videography and the blurred sections can be cut out, but what if I was shooting a film? This could totally ruin footage. Is this a problem with tapes, the camera? Any help appreciated.
Eric Shimley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2004, 04:08 PM   #2
Trustee

I'd probably start out by running a head cleaner to see if thats the problem. If that doesn't fix it, then perhaps either your xl2 (or playback deck...) has a head alignment issue, and one or the other may need to be sent in for an adjustment.

I've seen a few glitches, but mostly when starting up a tape, or at a cut point in the footage...none yet in the middle of a clip.

Barry
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2004, 03:38 AM   #3
RED Code Chef

Which tape brand are you using? You might want to try another
brand as well (with headcleaning before switching brands!).

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2004, 05:29 AM   #4

I've had no such problems with the XL2.

Along with what Rob said, it may be the quality of tape--cheap, bottom of the line consumer level tape--instead of the brand.

Tape, regardless of the quality, it the cheapest element in the mix. Since I shoot for clients, I use the Sony Digital Master tape (I had been using the DVCAM). The odds of getting any dropout with this tape are none to slim. Yes, it's cost more. So what? You get more!

The Sony Excellence tape costs around $8.00. The Sony Digital Master tape costs about $17. Do you want to run the risk of screwing up a $5,000 shoot and ruin your chances for future work just to save a measly $9.00?! Not me, brother!

If you are going to shoot professionally (video or film, it makes no difference), if you are going to charge professional prices, then use professional materials and delivery professional footage.

Just my two cents.

Jay
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2004, 07:38 AM   #5
Trustee

Jay are these the tapes your'e talking about?

http://www.taperesources-store.com/store/prodinfo.asp?number=DV60X%2DS&dept=6
Nick Hiltgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2004, 07:42 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Ahh, more confusion. When our Xl1 had to go in for servicing, the first thing out of the Canon reps mouth was "You're NOT using sony tapes are you??? Stay away from them"

Seriously.

Hard to know who to listen to.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2004, 07:55 AM   #7

Nick--

Same tape minus the chip:
http://www.taperesources-store.com/store/prodinfo.asp?number=DV60%2DS&dept=6

Richard--

All I can say is I've used nothing but Sony tape in each XL I've ever owned and not had any problems. Whatever brand you use, use the highest grade and stick to it. Don't jump around from brand to brand or you will run into problems.

Jay
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2004, 08:56 AM   #8
New Boot

Here is a link to the Sony Digital Master Tape at Tape Resources.

http://www.taperesources-store.com/store/prodinfo.asp?number=DC40DM%2DS&dept=5

Bob Cetti
Audio Video Services
Old October 5th, 2004, 12:58 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Stupid question, but these are brand new tapes you are using, recorded on SP? I use Panasonic 83 min. professional grade. No problems (knock on wood)
David Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2004, 01:02 PM   #10

Yes, David, I only record in SP. If the Panasonic tapes are serving you well, don't change! Panasonic and Sony use two different kinds of lubricant, the fromer dry and the latter wet. Mixing the two tape brands will cause problems with your recording heads.

Jay
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders