Using the XL Adapter & tamron 500mm at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old October 1st, 2004, 11:02 AM   #1
Major Player

Using the Xl Adapter & tamron 500mm - Ammended

One of the reasons I bought the XL2 was to use it for some nature documentary stuff, and I was keen to be able to add the XL adapter and use some longer glass.

The first one I tried was the Tamron 200-500 zoom. I headed down to the park and did a comparison of the 20X that came with the camera vs. the Tamron.

The long glass was great at getting in close, but the image seems a little soft for me.

Tell me XL adapter users, is it inherent in the XL adapter, or is it the lens I choose, and I do better with rreal Canon glass.

Please advise.

If someone wants to host the clip for me, I'd be pleased to email it. It's 11 seconds long, and sits in 2.7mb of space(Quicktime sorenson3 as HQ as I could make it)

DBK
Darren Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2004, 11:12 AM   #2
Trustee

My guess is that the problem is the tamron lens. The 200-500 isn't one of their best lenses, and all 35mm lenses are essentially designed to deliver a much larger field of view on a larger sensor or film. By cropping to less 1/7 of the diagonal field of view...you are exposing the lens's weaknesses. Clips I have seen from Canon 35mm Lenses show that they are as good as, and possibly better than, the IS II lenses of the xl series.

Additionally, by shooting for the moon with a 500mm lens that is now equivalent of 3500mm and counting...you are bringing a lot of atmospheric elements into the picture, which could also be degrading your picture.

what fstop were you using...?

Barry
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2004, 11:18 AM   #3
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Barry Goyette :

Additionally, by shooting for the moon with a 500mm lens that is now equivalent of 3500mm and counting...you are bringing a lot of atmospheric elements into the picture, which could also be degrading your picture.

what fstop were you using...?

Barry -->>>

I tried a few different f stops, almost all the way closed. The distance between me and the birds was about 100 yards, that's not that far away.

I'll give it another try this afternoon.

Thanks for the response.
Old October 1st, 2004, 11:36 AM   #4
Trustee

I'm still almost willing to bet that its the lens, but try an fstop in the middle of the range...you may need to shoot in the shadows to get this.... By stopping down all the way, you could be introducing some softness.

Depending on the atmospheric conditions (hot or humid weather)...100yds can be a very long way when you're only looking at an angle of view of one degree or so...but if the view looks clear to your eye, then it shouldn't interfere significantly.

Barry
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2004, 02:17 PM   #5
Major Player

OK,

Tried it again. This time, I brought the heaviest tripod I could find to minimize any motion. It is a clear bright day - tons of light.

I can report outstanding results.

It is sharp and clear at most if not all apertures. My problem yesterday was operator error. The tripod was not as stiff as todays(Proving my earlier statements on the HD1 DVD of over buying a tripod). The focus point is really really small. Possibly 1-2mm of rotation on the focus ring. You need to have a really stable tripod, and be very careful.

If someone can host, I've created a 10 second clip at 500mm using the XL2 of a seagul's head. And I mean head.

Loving this camera....

DBK
Old October 1st, 2004, 03:07 PM   #6
Major Player

One last point.

barry was quite correct when he warned about shooting through alot of air. Looking at some of my footage that is about a mile away, you can see the same effect as heat rizing off a paved road, except in this case, I'm shooting over water, and you can in effect see the wind, as the motion is across the shot.

Still it's an outstanding shot, and the effect is useable.

Sorry, I'm just pretty excited about this combination.

DBK
Old October 1st, 2004, 03:17 PM   #7
Warden

Darren you can send me the clip and I'll make it available.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2004, 06:06 PM   #8
Warden

Here is the link to Darren's two clips.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders