XL2 and Video Editing Software - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old October 19th, 2004, 10:52 PM   #16
Barry Wan Kenobi

Yeah, let me try to clarify:

All DVX footage, all XL2 footage, in fact ALL DV footage of all types, is recorded as 60i on tape (talking NTSC here).

The DVX and XL2 can "flag" the video stream to let 24P-aware editors know that the footage could be reconstituted to 24P, if the user so chose to do so.

Vegas captures the file exactly as it's written on tape, which means that on the hard disk, it's a 60i file with 24P flags intact. (as I understand, FCP doesn't do it that way, it forces you to decide whether you want the footage to be treated as 24P or 60i upon capture).

So let's say you shot some 24P footage. In Vegas, you could start a new 24P project, select "allow pulldown removal", and drop that captured file right on the timeline. You would now be editing the pure 24P data stream, reconstituted to its full 24-frame-per-second glory.

Let's say you also wanted to edit some 60i footage, and you thought this 24P footage would look good in it. You open another project, this time selecting 60i, and disabling "allow pulldown removal". Pull in that 24P footage and drop it on the timeline, and Vegas will edit it just like it was recorded to tape: 24P footage with 2:3 or 2:3:3:2 pulldown, meaning it's now a 60i video file (but retaining the look of 24P).

Hope that clarifies things.

As far as slow-mo goes, slowing down 24P footage won't really give good results no matter which way you try... 24P is the worst format to use for slow-mo. You want to use 30P in a 24P project, played back at 80% speed, for perfect (but mild) slow-mo, and 60i in a 24P project (at 40% speed) for glass-smooth (but somewhat lower resolution) slow slow motion.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2004, 05:05 AM   #17
RED Code Chef

You can get the Vegas 24p guide from: http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.co...ctinfo/24p.pdf

(or if that doesn't work: http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.co...p2.asp?DID=441)

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2004, 07:47 AM   #18
Major Player

24p and slow motion

<<<-- Originally posted by Barry Green : Yeah, let me try to clarify:

As far as slow-mo goes, slowing down 24P footage won't really give good results no matter which way you try... 24P is the worst format to use for slow-mo. You want to use 30P in a 24P project, played back at 80% speed, for perfect (but mild) slow-mo, and 60i in a 24P project (at 40% speed) for glass-smooth (but somewhat lower resolution) slow slow motion. -->>>

It's my understanding that there are excellent post tools for reconstituting frames for slow motion. Any suggestions? Would Avid Xpress Pro be a good choice,? Some sort of third party plugin? Or simply a stand alone package?
Frederic Segard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2004, 08:19 AM   #19
Major Player

Twixtor is in my opinion the best plugin for that job. But it's best to use it in After Effects because since it is a morphing based plugin, you will need to draw a matte around your subject to avoid background distortion.

But it can really give great results, no matter how slow you want it to get, since it creates extra hybrid frames of movement that were not there before. You will lose a bit or resolution though.
David Lach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2004, 08:24 AM   #20

Another good reference 24P site is Adam Wilt's at:
http://www.adamwilt.com/24p/index.html
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders