16:9 lcd screens - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old October 27th, 2004, 09:40 AM   #16
Tourist

Check out Chris' link again, it should be listed as #1.

7 Inch LCD Monitor with VGA, Touch Screen (619GL-70NP/C/T)
Clifton Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2004, 10:24 AM   #17
Trustee

<<<-- Originally posted by Clifton Cline : Check out Chris' link again, it should be listed as #1.

7 Inch LCD Monitor with VGA, Touch Screen (619GL-70NP/C/T) -->>>

But is this the one that Lawrence Stevens actually bought? Chris makes reference to this model but then says he prefers the panasonic as it has underscan. I don't get the impression that he actually has this model or even used it. I am trying to find out exactly which on lawrence is actually using as when I search Ebay I get some different brands.

Thanks,
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2004, 12:55 PM   #18
Regular Crew

You're right - I do not have the Lilliput model precisely because I could not verify that it had an underscan feature. I am less concerned about sharpness for focusing purposes as I prefer to use a tape measure to check my focus.

The Panasonic model fits most closely with cost and usage for me and while I don't own that one yet - I suspect I shall in the next few weeks.

http://www.lizardlounge.com
Chris Mills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2004, 08:18 PM   #19
Trustee

<<<-- Originally posted by Chris Mills : You're right - I do not have the Lilliput model precisely because I could not verify that it had an underscan feature. I am less concerned about sharpness for focusing purposes as I prefer to use a tape measure to check my focus.

The Panasonic model fits most closely with cost and usage for me and while I don't own that one yet - I suspect I shall in the next few weeks. -->>>

Chris,
I am guessing you are either using the manual lens or some variant or the Mini35. There would be no practical way to use a tape measure with the stock len that I know of.
Old October 27th, 2004, 09:16 PM   #20
Regular Crew

12v battery

In regard to the 12 v battery from best buy: it's the Vector pocket power recharchale portable battery, goes for about $30.Look in the automotive section. They sell fast
William LiPera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2004, 05:27 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Hi guys
I have just got back from holiday and have had no internet access for a week!

The lilliput screen I bought does not have an underscan feature, however it is cheaper than the panasonic, and I think it is great.

As regards to the battery. Basically all these screens take a 12V input via a pretty standard adaper/jack. What you need is a lead acid battery (like a mini car battery) with a 12V output. These basically can provide a constant current for quite a while, and may last a few hours. You are looking at the Amp Hours of the battery So you want something like 12V with 1.2 Amp Hours. That means it will drive a 12V device that draws 1.2Amps for an hour (assuming the battery is 100% efficient) The lilliput screen draws about 0.6-0.8Amps, so the spec of the battery mentioned above will power it for roughly 1 - 1.5 Hours. I velcro tha battery to the back of the screen, so it is one complete unit. Basically to make it work you need the battery, the jack and a wire that connects the battery to the jack (that then goes into the screen) JUST MAKE SURE you do not get the polarity wring. Look at the mains adapter for the lilliput screen a a reference, as you could cause the screen to permantly not work!

This company is in the UK, but it is where I got my batteries from (and the connectors)

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=27088&TabID=1&source=15&WorldID=7&doy=31m10

Have a look around the site

Good Luck!

Lawrence
Lawrence Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2004, 01:25 PM   #22
Major Player

What about a way to mount the Monitors to the camera. What are people buying to achieve this?

DBK
Old October 31st, 2004, 01:47 PM   #23
Trustee

I use a little bracket that can tilt and swivel and slides into the hot shoe. It can be adjusted for any viewing angle.
Sometimes, I'll clamp it to the tripod if I need the monitor to be remote from the camera - when using a track for example.

Robin
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2004, 01:54 PM   #24
Trustee

So the lilliput monitor that has the higher res is easy to judge focus on? That is my main concern. Try as I might I cannot always tell 100% for sure if I am in focus on the little 2" LCD/EVF. especially in 16x9 where it gets even smaller. A lot of my shooting environments do not allow me to take a CRT field monitor with me. SO I would really like a hi res LCD without paying the big bucks for the panasonic.
Old October 31st, 2004, 05:28 PM   #25
Regular Crew

You will never find the perfect monitor.
If you find it's not right for you you can always re-sell it on ebay (as I mentioned previously) and lose around $10 for trying.

Also for attaching to the xl2, I found the metal bracket you fit to the back of the camera great! Just stick velcro to the surface facing the rear, and you can velcro the back of the monitor to it. It is even roughly at the right angle for the screen!
Lawrence Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2004, 06:13 PM   #26
Trustee

<<<-- Originally posted by Lawrence Stevens : You will never find the perfect monitor.
If you find it's not right for you you can always re-sell it on ebay (as I mentioned previously) and lose around $10 for trying.

Also for attaching to the xl2, I found the metal bracket you fit to the back of the camera great! Just stick velcro to the surface facing the rear, and you can velcro the back of the monitor to it. It is even roughly at the right angle for the screen! -->>>

I wasn't asking if it is perfect. BUt wanting your opinion on being able to use it to focus. Is it better than the LCD/EVF on the XL2? As good as the LCD on the DVX? OPinions are always welcomed. I won't hold them as fact!

THanks!
Old October 31st, 2004, 06:19 PM   #27
Regular Crew

The viewfinder on the xl2 is pretty good
I would say this is even better

It is worth it :)

Lawrence
Lawrence Stevens is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders