DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Traveling with XL2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/34195-traveling-xl2.html)

Kevin Gilvear November 1st, 2004 07:31 AM

I like the look of the pelican 1650. Affordable price too. Where do you buy the padded dividers?

Richard Alvarez November 1st, 2004 08:25 AM

Zero Halliburton... great cases. I have a "diplomats briefcase" that was a limited edition in anodized burgundy alluminum. Never fails to get comments. I also happen to know that Halliburton cases are the most stolen cases in air travel. Nothing says "Expensive contents" like a Zero Halliburton.

In that regard, I knew a photographer who used to label his camera case "Surgical Specimen Samples" to discourage people from messing with his gear. 'Course, this was in the pre-aids days, I doubt you could travel with a case labled as such nowadays. (ALthough a simple BIO-HAZARD label might do the trick)

Dave Morrison November 1st, 2004 01:12 PM

I had a buddy who used to ship his lighting gear in large aluminum cases. He stenciled "Plumbing Parts Samples" on the outside....never had any problems with theft.

dave

David Lach November 1st, 2004 01:33 PM

Yeah the bio-hazard label is indeed a neat solution. I agree that those cases, although made to handle a lifetime of abuse, look like they're carrying an expensive stack of diamonds or something similar.

The best precaution to take, other than insuring the camera, is to put the used tapes in an other inexpensive looking bag. That way if the XL2 gets stolen, your footage won't.

Christopher Go November 3rd, 2004 07:21 PM

Kevin, when you purchase a Pelican case you have the option of buying one with foam or with padded dividers. Look no further than DVInfo's own sponsers to buy Pelican or any other kind of case and supplies for your camera. Click on the link here for where to buy.

Richard Alvarez November 3rd, 2004 07:44 PM

I just bought a Pelican here in Palo Alto. I had to have it for a flight tomorrow.

I took my camera in, and looked at the 1650, and the 1620. Curiously, they had two versions of each. The Foam padded versions, and the adjustable divider versions. The divider versions, were actually DEEPER than the foam versions. I laid them side by side to be sure.

I wound up buying the divider version of the 1620. Took it home, and dissassembled the xl2. I have the body, 16x lens, BOTH the color and BW viefinders, assorted adapters, batteries, microphones and cables all tightly strapped in. I even took the greay foam "box" out of the case, and put egg crate padding between the lined case and the wall of the box to give it extra padding against the sides.

Looks snug and safe. Now then, I went to buy a lock for it, and saw the "TSA Approved" airline locks "No MORE cut LOCKS"

WTF? I haven't flown with locked luggage in a while, are they cutting them off now? This version allows them to use a MASTER key to unlock and inspect it... whats the point in that once it's gone from the desk?

Am I missing something here? Can I just open it when I check in, and lock it in front of the clerk?

An answer before the early morning flight would be appreciated team.

R

Joel Guy November 4th, 2004 07:34 AM

You might have already taken off, but I'll answer anyways.

Yes, it's now part of airline security. Once you check in and get your ticket, you have to take your checked luggage to a security area, where the bag is sent through an X-Ray machine. If they see something suspicious in your bag, they won't hesitate to cut the lock. After they do it, they slip a paper note inside your bag, letting you know that they've cut your lock and searched inside. This has happened to a couple of friends of mine.

It's been about 6 months since I've flown anywhere, so it might be a little different now. But if I were you, I'd still watch out for my lock!

Kevin Gilvear November 5th, 2004 02:48 AM

I can't decide between the pelican 1620 and the 1650. The 1650 is cheaper from B&H and looks fine. Does the 1620 have anything else that this doesn't to warrent a higher price tag?

Christopher Go November 5th, 2004 05:16 AM

Never noticed the price difference before, thought the 1650 would be more expensive. According to B&H Photo specifications for the 1650 is:

Exterior: 31.5 x 20.8 x 11.5" (800 x 528 x 292mm) (LWD)
Interior: 29 x 18 x 10.5" (736.6 x 457 x 266.7mm) (LWD)

While the 1620 is:

Exterior: 24-5/8 x 19-5/8 x 14" (622 x 495 x 355.6mm) (LWD)
Interior: 22-1/4 x 17-1/8 x 12-5/8" (614.6 x 431 x 317mm) (LWD)

Both come with wheels and a handle to roll the case as an option. However, the 1620 appears to have a longer retractable handle.

Go with the 1620 if you need a case with more depth, like the retractable handle, and want the case to be slightly lighter at 22 lbs.

The 1650 if you need more length in a case, but is heavier at 30 lbs. Otherwise, they're both very similar.

Christopher Go November 5th, 2004 05:22 AM

I dropped my girlfriend off at the airport recently and I was thinking about how 9-11 has changed our lives. No loitering at all anywhere near the check-in lines, for example, and I had to move my car promptly under orders from one of many security guards. Also noticed all the heavy barriers standing in the way of the once open walkways to prevent any vehicles from careening out of control into the airport proper.

And now cut locks? *sigh*

Anyone have any problems with their XL2s themselves with airport security?

Kevin Gilvear November 5th, 2004 06:20 AM

Thanks Christopher, might go for the 1620 then.

Are you not allowed to take a camera onboard with you to put in the above compartment? They allow a certain weight right? Surely better than leaving the case somewhere you don't know. I guess it depends on overall size.

Kevin Gilvear November 10th, 2004 12:15 PM

Hi again fellas. Last time I'm gonna bug anyone about cases but I need a definite one out of either the pelican 1620 or the
Porta Brace CTC-2 Traveler Camera Case which is here:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=152653&is=REG

i spoke to the salesman on the phone at B&H and he said it was a good bag but now I'm trying to decide which of the two to get.

The Pelican does look great with its dividers and all, and would be suitable for flying with. I am going away to japan in January.

The porta brace looks much better for carrying around, however my concern lies with the fact that it screams "hello there's a camcorder in here" which means I'll worry if it goes into storage. So will this fit in an above compartment?

Overall out of these two which would be the best to go for? As always your help would be much appreciated.

Kev

Richard Alvarez November 10th, 2004 12:48 PM

Okay, Here I am in Houston, shooting a documentary.

Regarding my flight in from San Jose. I took two locks with me. One heavy duty padlock, and one "luggage combination, TSA approved" padlock. You could probably cut it with garden shears...

Anyway, I weighed in and asked the attendant if I could lock the case. SHe said "Let me see if they want to X-ray it" then she grabbed it, and sent it through the conveyor belt. I stepped aside, as she was VERY busy, After about ten minutes, she looked up and said "Oh, let me check on your bag." She dissapeared, then stuck her head out and gave me the "Thumbs up". I asked "Can I lock it?" . SHe said "OH! I thought you did lock it. She reached across the counter, grabbed the heavy padlock and dissapeared. SHe came out and said "I caught it just in time, it's locked.'

I had a layover in Phoenix, with a change of planes.

I got to Houston, and the case was still locked with the padlock.

I am using the Pelican 1620 with the grey dividers in it. I have really grown to like this arrangement over the piick and pluck foam padding. I am able to reconfigure and reorder the packing as I need it durring the week.

The camera and all the accessories in the box came to just under fifty pounds. WHich was the maximum weight for one piece of luggage on the American West Flight.

For what it's worth, as an experiment. I also put a tape with footage in my camera case, and one in my carry-on to test the effects of x-rays on the tapes. Both cases were x-rayd with the exposed tapes in them.

No damage to either of the tapes.

Hope this helps others with their travel plans.

Kevin Gilvear November 10th, 2004 12:59 PM

thanks that does help a bit, the pelican certainly sounds worthwhile. i still can't decide though. the other bag works out cheaper to ship for me also. it looks like its well padded enough too , hmmm

:/

Richard Alvarez November 10th, 2004 02:21 PM

For my piece of mind... If the case is out of sight, I want it to be waterproof and crush proof. I have visions (nightmares) of a luggage handler dropping it off of a transport. I feel more comfortable with the camera in a Pelican or similar hard case.