Traveling with XL2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old October 29th, 2004, 04:33 PM   #1
Major Player

Traveling with XL2

How do you all transport your XL2? Fully assembled or in their seperate parts (body, lens, viewfinder, microphone)?

I was wondering how you all travel around from location to location. I'm not concerned about flying just yet, just driving between shoots. I have a Pelican 1650 case with padded dividers that I plan to use, and will only be using one lens for now.

Is it okay to have the camera fully assembled when you travel around? I've only had an AG-DVX100A before.
Christopher Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2004, 06:35 PM   #2
Inner Circle

When I was schlepping around the Xl1 at work, it was in a pelican with Pick-out foam padding. We carried it pretty much assembled, lens and viewfinder attached. It snuggled down real nice in the cavity that was plucked out for it.

I am about to go shopping for a case for my new Xl2. I'm curious, why did you get padded dividers instead of foam?
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2004, 08:38 PM   #3
Major Player

Re: Traveling with XL2

I have on order a Kata case that is made for the XL2 assembled. It's first task will be a trip to the Phillipeans.

Visit their web site. It is most likely a little cheaper than a Pelican and can go anywhere - except the water.

DBK
Old October 30th, 2004, 06:06 AM   #4

I'm using the same PortaBrace case I used for the XL1s. Works just fine and transporting the assembled camera is a breeze.

Jay
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2004, 07:35 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Darren,

Do you have the model number for the Kata case or is it the same one that is used for the Xl-1s?
Hart Boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2004, 09:11 AM   #6
Trustee

Chris. I use a Tamrac hard case designed for a 35mm setup forgoing on planes. I take the entire camcorder apart and pack it in using the form pads that came with the case. In the car I use a Tamrac bag designed for the XL-1s. Even in this I take the viewfinder off. This is the most vulnerable part of the entire camcorder. It takes 30 seconds to put it back on. Also, in the car I carry it on the back seat with the strap going through the headrest. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2004, 07:18 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Jay, about the PortaBrace....

2 Questions.....

What model number is it...and would it fit the XL2 with the FU-1000?? Just curious.
Chris Staab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2004, 08:27 PM   #8

Chris--

The model number is CTC-2. To be honest with you, I don't know if it would fit with the FU-1000 or not. I'm trying to remember how much larger, if any, it is than the new standard viewfinder.

You could call the folks at PortaBrace (802-442-8171) and ask them. They're easy to reach and willing to answer questions.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Jay
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2004, 09:05 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I just got back from 2 weeks in Hawaii. I packed my camera disassembled in my Kata ccc-10 case and it fit easily in the overhead bin. Other than that, I usually keep it fully assembled in that same case.
Old October 30th, 2004, 09:44 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Thanks Jay.

The FU-1000 is a good bit larger than even the new stock viewfinder. Thank you for the phone number and I'll research the model as well. Thanks again for your reply.
Chris Staab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2004, 08:21 AM   #11
Inner Circle

I have the FU-1000 and the Double Battery pack mounted on my XL2 with the 16x manual lens. It looks like anything I buy is going to need to be at least 24 inches long by 10 inches wide by ten inches high. IF I load the cam in completely assembled.

I am thinking at this point the Pelican 1650 is the only thing that will hold it?
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2004, 11:16 AM   #12
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Hart Boyd : Darren,

Do you have the model number for the Kata case or is it the same one that is used for the Xl-1s? -->>>

I believe it is the same as the one used by the XL1s.

I also have an older portabrace that I use too.

DBK
Old October 31st, 2004, 06:04 PM   #13
Major Player

I've decided to keep my camera mostly assembled between drives but will remove the viewfinder and lens for longer trips or if I ever need to get on a plane.

Richard, I went with padded dividers instead of the pick-n-pluck foam for several reasons. The foam will occasionally leave dust particles on equipment. Not a lot but enough on areas that tend to rub against the foam whenever I insert or remove the camera, on the microphone of my AG-DVX100A for example.

I also went with padded dividers because I only have two Pelican cases, and I find that whenever I purchase new equipment, I have to cut or adjust the foam accordingly. With the padded dividers, it's just a matter of moving dividers around instead of buying more foam or plucking out more custom fit compartments. I purchased an XL2 recently - with the padded dividers, I won't have to buy another foam set.

The padded dividers does have its drawbacks though. The foam, when cut correctly, provides better support and protection in my opinion. And you only have so much ways to fit equipment with the dividers. This is why I decided to use BOTH foam and padded dividers for my case. Check out the photo below:

Pelican 1650 Padded Dividers & Foam Blocks

What I did was take some of the Pelican foam I had remaining from previous cutouts, measured them to account for the negative space surrounding my camera, then enclosed the foam in a durable but soft fabric to keep dust from catching on the XL2's knobs, buttons, etc. In the picture, I lifted one of the blocks so you can see how I enclosed the foam with fabric.

I plan on attaching velcro strips to the blocks so that they hug the walls even more. This way, I can also move the blocks around.
Old October 31st, 2004, 06:12 PM   #14
Major Player

Here is a picture of my Pelican 1650 with XL2 (14X manual lens already attached), Chrosziel mattebox, and other equipment. I am still planning the case out, hence the reason for the empty spaces. Note how much space the camera takes if you want to travel fully assembled.

I don't have the on-board microphone attached because I have a seperate audio bag with boompole and shotgun microphone. The on-board microphone is easy to install anyway.

The way I have the camera positioned allows me to move the case vertically, on its wheels, with the weight placed on the shoulder mount end. The 1650 comes with wheels. Even if I do carry the 1650 more like a suitcase, the viewfinder does not sit on the floor at all. The foam block supporting the camera is too thick.

The narrow gap above the camera is where I keep my 4X4 filters and french flag.

Pelican 1650 Case
Old November 1st, 2004, 12:16 AM   #15
Major Player

I just ordered a Zero Halliburton 129c hard case for the XL2 and extra goodies. Pretty much the same size as the Pelican 1650 with custom cutted foams but in aluminum.

I prefer disassembling the body, viewfinder and lens whenever transporting it. If the case takes a serious hit and the lens is mounted on the XL2, it can put unwanted stress on the lens mount. I wouldn't want to end up with an alignment problem. When the lens is removed, it is more secure. Anyway I will always use 2 lenses so I will be switching between them a lot anyway and cannot anticipate which lens I will need next, so I prefer having both lenses sit snuggly by themselves in the case. Same goes for both the CRT and LCD viewfinders.
David Lach is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders