Traveling with XL2 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old November 10th, 2004, 02:26 PM   #31
Regular Crew

Thanks. Did you find it easy to carry around with you off the plane? I know it has a handle too though.

If I go for this then should I get silica gel too? i will likely get a peli-lock also
Kevin Gilvear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2004, 03:21 PM   #32
Inner Circle

It is too big to carry on board. It is larger than the accepted carry-on size.

Since the case weighed in at just under 50 pounds, I used the extended handle, threw my carryon on top of it, and used it as a dolly to wheel through the airport. It's got handles on three sides, so you can pick it up any way you like. At fifty pounds, its not something I would carry by the handle any longer than necessary. That's why its got wheels.

You should be able to go to a good photo supply store, and "test drive" one. That's what I did.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2004, 03:25 PM   #33
Regular Crew

Trouble is I'm in the UK and nowhere nearby sells them. I have it in my shopping cart now and I'm a click away from purchasing it. I just wondered if its good to drag all over town with me, wherever i visit.

EDIT: sod it I'll get the pelican. People seems happy with it here. Just hope i don't wear out the wheels :)
Old November 10th, 2004, 07:27 PM   #34
Inner Circle

Kevin,

It's a solid piece of gear. Well made and worth the price. If it's a hard case you want, it's top notch. You won't regret it.
An you wont wear out the wheels.
Old November 10th, 2004, 08:56 PM   #35
Major Player

Hey Richard, that's good to know that the XL2 and Pelican case held up during the trip. I had to pick my girlfriend up recently and when we were at the baggage claim I saw more than a few suitcases and bags come tumbling violently down the chute. We were all wincing from the noise and sight.

Did you have your camera assembled in the case? Think you could show us a photo of your setup? I'm always curious to see how else I can arrange things, especially with the padded dividers.

Kevin, unless you intend on travling with your XL2 as a carry-on, I wouldn't go with a soft case. I think you'll like the Pelican. In their marketing brochures, there's a photo with a train of Pelican cases roped together and trailing a kayak somewhere in the Arctic. Apparently they float and can withstand the subzero temperatures.
Christopher Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2004, 02:30 AM   #36
Regular Crew

Thanks fellas. I will get some foam blocks as well as padded dividers. I found a set of 4. I think putting them in some fabric is a really good idea. Are they easy to cut?
Old November 11th, 2004, 03:03 AM   #37
Major Player

Do you mean the foam or the fabric? Pelican foam comes prescored so its easy to seperate into blocks, but if you don't already have some then you'll have to shop around. Check photographic supplies, art stores, or do a search for "foam" here on this forum. I remember some users finding good alternatives to the Pelican foam.

I went to a crafts store, and purchased some gray fabric, looking for material that wouldn't be too hard to fold or cut yet was smooth and clean enough against equipment. From there I used a tube of Unique Stitch - essentially fabric glue - and simply wrapped the foam in the fabric gift-wrap style. If you can wrap a gift, you can do this.

But it depends on how elaborate you want to get. You could just get old clothing, like a cotton t-shirt, or just place the foam as is.

Here is a photo of the supplies I used: Foam Block Supplies.

The Elmers Craft Bond spray can you see there is spray on adhesive for the foam blocks. Sometimes I glued pieces together to get the right shape before wrapping them in foam.

Here is a photo of the finished product (reposted from earlier in the thread): Pelican 1650 & XL2.
Christopher Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2004, 04:32 AM   #38
Regular Crew

This is what I was going to get:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=cart&A=details&Q=&sku=213482&is=REG

Are they suitable?

What I meant was is it easy to cut sizes. From the pic they look like they need to be tailor cut. I was also going to get some fabric for them, based on the photo I saw of yours a few posts back
Old November 11th, 2004, 07:40 AM   #39
Inner Circle

I'm on the road, and about to go out on a shoot this morning, so I am unable to post any pictures.

I have been dissassembling the Camera to pack it. Of course, this allows for more configurations. I plan to organize the dividers to allow the unit to pack assembled, with the double battery pack attached as well. That is how I use to pack the XL1 I worked with, in a foam box. I was uncertain about the divider solution, as I felt it wouldn't be "tight" enough at first. I have since come to prefer the dividers over the foam.

For cutting foam, I reccomend using an electric carving knife. This cuts absolutely smooth edges, and allows for cutting complex curves and angles. This is an old trick I learned back in my theatre days. (No, don't ask how long ago that was.)
Old November 11th, 2004, 12:17 PM   #40
Regular Crew

I've found a strange little tip about cutting foam. Apparently you wet it, then ring it out and place it in the freezer. Next day take it out and it is just soft enough to cut smoothly. It says not to place it in the freezer when it is soaking or else next day it will be like a brick :)
Old November 15th, 2004, 01:39 PM   #41
Regular Crew

I got hit today with a £75 custom charge from DHL for my Pelican 1620 and extra bits. Thanks for the recommendation but I don't think I'll be using B&H again. I have to wait until wednesday to get my stuff as they had to re-deliver :/
Old November 18th, 2004, 01:13 PM   #42
Regular Crew

I'm having a bit of a tough time sorting out my pelican 1620 and padded dividers - they're a real pain to move around due to sticking so much but the main problem is that i'm concerned about the accessories and camera moving up and down in the box. the top layer supplied is no good to me as the height of the camera prevents me from resting it on top (even without viewfinder attatched). So can I lay the camera on its side, enabling me to put the upper tray on top of it? Looking at y set up it works out better this way, making for an all round tighter fit, but Is it a good idea to keep it on its side during travel or is it best to keep it standing up?

Thanks everyone,

Kev

p.s. i have foam blocks too which i intend to cut to size and put in fabric and then place around the XL2.

Oh and my blocks are odd looking - like they're made up of loads of squares. looks tricky to cut, i hope they don't fall apart.
Old November 18th, 2004, 04:50 PM   #43
Major Player

What would be cool is to get a huge sheet of microfiber cloth to cover the foam. Before I'd do that though, I'd have to try the foam myself and see if I find the amount of dust too objectionable.

"Good taste is the enemy of creativity" - Picasso

Blog: http://www.tonyhall.name
Tony Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2004, 05:02 PM   #44
Inner Circle

I put the body of the camera off to one short side, in a "slot". Then I take two of the larger dividers, and use them to strap the camera down. I stick one side of the divider halfway down the edge of the slot, loop it over the top of the camera, then velcro it to the opposite side. Nice and snug. The viewfinders likewise sit in slots next to it, also velcro'd down in place. The tray sits on top of this, full of odds and ends. All very snug.
Old November 19th, 2004, 12:27 AM   #45
Major Player

Guys, I recently bought foam rubber (actually probably polyurethane foam) from an Ebay seller, "e8ayboy," whose slabs are not pick-&-pluck, but new & high quality.

He lives about 20 minutes from my house, so I drove over to his photography studio to see what he had (& thus didn't pay any shipping). He raised the tailgate of his minivan, which was full of brand-new, dense grey foam slabs. For $60, I bought:

8 slabs @ 19"x16"x3"
4 @ 15"x13"x3"
4 @ 12"x2"x2"

I just now searched under his user name--he's always selling this stuff. He usually has "Buy It Now" prices--no competitive bidding.

FWIW, my Ebay ID is "johnsandel"--just so you don't think I'm shilling for this guy. He just gave me a great deal.

JS
John Sandel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders