DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   24p questions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/34265-24p-questions.html)

Georg Liigand December 14th, 2005 09:30 AM

If you're doing a normal project with no intention to transfer it to film later on, then keep recording in normal interlaced mode. That's the best for motion.

Kevin Kocak December 14th, 2005 09:34 AM

You might have a little better luck with 30p

Alexis Vazquez December 14th, 2005 09:56 AM

Thanks to all for the info.

Mike Teutsch December 14th, 2005 10:19 AM

Alexis,

If you read the manual, it does recommend 30p for sports.

Good Luck---Mike

Ash Greyson December 15th, 2005 02:23 AM

30P is GREAT for sports, you can also kick up the shutter for crystal clear action. That being said, I just shot a bunch of horses in 24P (not 24PA) and it looked great. The thing about 24p is that it will really expose any fault in shooting, framing, moving, etc. You have to be a very experienced operator for 24P to look good in some situations.

ash =o)

Giuseppe Palumbo December 24th, 2005 03:16 AM

Thought 24p wasnt interlaced?

Well, i shot my first music video last night with the XL-2. I opened a new 29.97 Video project in vegas and began capturing. I noticed that the video was/looked interlaced. I'm use to the frame recording of the GL2 so im not sure what the deal is. Am i supposed to capture another way or Is it all the same. Also, i know this isnt really the right forum but what if i export to 24fps in Vegas 6. Will the footage look any different.

Justine Haupt December 24th, 2005 03:17 PM

I'm not familiar with Vegas 6, but in v5 it has to be set to capture 24fps. You have to check "custom frame rate" and pick "24.000 (film)" from the dropdown in options > preferences > capture tab from the video capture window. Hope that helps... I've never had a problem with it.

Giuseppe Palumbo December 24th, 2005 04:36 PM

So when filming in 24p, u have to capture in 24p? i didnt think it was like that though...

Ash Greyson December 25th, 2005 03:35 AM

It depends... what 24P mode were you in? 2:3 or 2:3:3:2? I usually just shoot in 2:3 and work in a 60i timeline. capturing is nothing special. If you shot in 2:3:3:3 then you need to capture it in 24P to remove the extra info. In that case you would want to edit in 24P as well. I suggest you shoot and work as I do... no learning curve, just the 24P look...

ash =o)

Giuseppe Palumbo December 25th, 2005 09:38 AM

I shot in the regular pulldown settin 2:3. And am using a normal 60i timeline and everything, i dunno though. i'll be posting frames from the shoot tomorrow though, so you can check em out and tell me what you think.

Justine Haupt December 25th, 2005 11:12 AM

Oh! You said you're in a 60i timeline... it should be the "NTSC DV 24p Widescreen (720x480, 23.976 fps)" template in the Project Properties.

Giuseppe Palumbo December 25th, 2005 11:21 AM

ohh, ok, well im glad i didnt start editing yet...BTW, still it looked interlaced when capturing...Anything big? or dont worry about it and just edit int he 23.976 timeline?

Chris Hurd December 25th, 2005 05:11 PM

The way 24fps works on a video camera, you do get an interlaced frame every four frames or so. Perfectly normal, that's how it works, nothing to be concerned about.

Matthew Nayman December 26th, 2005 03:10 PM

I am probably wrong here, but I will post anyway (cause I am a jerk).

I believe that the XL2 does not truly record 24p, but it is instead interlaced to fit on a DV tape. If you shoot 2:3:3:2 you can extract a true 24 fps from it, and put it on film or a 24p DVD. However, I believe that even the 2:3:3:2 is not truly progressive scan.

I have always been curious. Do the CCD's actually record the frame in progressive or is it all interlaced or does it take 4 progresssive frames and one interlace frame?

Could you bypass the interlacing by recording right onto a hard drive (i know you can bypass the mini DV compression).

Matt

Richard Hunter December 26th, 2005 06:31 PM

Hi Matt. The CCDs do capture a true progressive frame, but the data has to be split in order to fit onto the DV data stream which is interlaced. If your NLE knows how to handle it, the progressive frames will be recovered properly during the editing process.

Regarding bypassing the interlacing process by recording onto hard drive, this is not possible because it is the DV data stream that is recorded to the hard drive. Therefore the progressive frames still have to be interlaced in order to fit the DV format.

By the way, since it is the DV data that is recorded to hard drive, it is not possible to bypass the DV compression like you say. You could possibly capture the analogue S-Video signal uncompressed if you have an external capture device. This will probably give you a better colourspace compared to DV 4:1:1 (or 4:2:0) video, but the bandwidth will be lower due to filtering so overall I am not sure which would give better results.

Richard