picture of my XL2 rig at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old November 2nd, 2004, 01:48 PM   #1
Regular Crew

picture of my XL2 rig

finished building a steadycam ...heres the xl2 with .6 WA adapter getting a ride.

www.elpez.com/P1010006.jpg

j.
John Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2004, 02:06 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Congrats! the rig looks top notch. Did you build the suspension system? Can you talk a bit about this?
Sebastian Jacome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2004, 02:22 PM   #3
Regular Crew

ya, built everything from Cody Deegans plans.
www.codydeegan.com

Only thing I didnt build was the glidecam. I shot some footage last night, was running around outside. And it was amazing, because as I was shooting/running, the "arm" with the springs, was bouncing all over the place ...I mean, from my point of view, it looked like the camera was jumping all over the place ...so I was disappointed/worried. But when i played the footage back, it was silky smooth. I'm talking glassy. No bounce, No movement. It was perfect. I'll try to post some footage as soon as I can.
Old November 2nd, 2004, 03:00 PM   #4
RED Code Chef

That would be neat if you could John! Thanks.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2004, 03:30 PM   #5
Major Player

What's that? A Glidecam 4000? Any problems balancing?
David Lach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2004, 04:09 PM   #6
Regular Crew

hehe, it's actually a glidecam 2000 pro. ...And yes, I had a few problems balancing. the xl2 is just too much weight for the 2000 pro. I'm thinking about getting the bigger version.

j.
Old November 2nd, 2004, 07:42 PM   #7
Major Player

Yeah the XL2 is too much weight for the 2000 pro indeed. I had to sell mine for that reason. I was planing to buy a V-8 but since the ressources are low after buying the cam, I decided to buy a Glidecam 3000 as a temporary solution which is supposed to be able to handle 4-10 lbs. I did not receive it yet, but I hope it'll be able to handle it.

That vest/arm combo you got there sure looks nice and more useable than that tiny body pod. I'd be very interested to see some footage. Thanks for sharing.

Just curious, could you give an approximate cost for the building (excluding the Glidecam)?
David Lach is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders