DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   XLR connections on XL2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/35591-xlr-connections-xl2.html)

Tim Commeijne November 28th, 2004 07:45 AM

XLR connections on XL2

Hi,

I want to buy an xl2, but I have a question abaut the audio.
Does anyone know if you can switch between a microphone signal op a line in signal on the xlr connectors on the xl2?

thx

TingSern Wong November 28th, 2004 08:13 AM

I tried it ... the XLR connection for XL2 is meant for microphones only. Have to use the RCA connectors. On the other hand, it MIGHT be possible to turn on Mic attentuation and check if the signal is still okay?

Greg Milneck November 28th, 2004 10:48 AM

No, it is MIC ONLY.

Don Palomaki November 29th, 2004 04:53 AM

If it is similar to the MA-100 front end, signals in excess of around -10 dB will be well into clipping. BEst to stay with mic level singals, i.e., on the order of -30 dBV or lower. If using line-level XLR sources, add an appropriate attenuator into the line. Readily available from professional sound dealers and relatively expensive.

Chris Hurd November 29th, 2004 05:51 AM

And again, as TingSern Wong has already pointed out, both sets of RCA jacks on the right side of the camera are set up for line-level inputs.

Bruce S. Yarock November 29th, 2004 06:23 AM

I wanted the option of taking sound off of a mixing board via the xlr inputs. I bought two "line to mike pad" barrell converters, which were $30 each, and they work fine. They are made by "PSC" ( i got mine from Trew Audio). Now I have the option of using either the rca's or the xlr inputs.
Bruce Yarock

TingSern Wong November 29th, 2004 08:03 AM

Are there any real significant advantages to using XLR for LINE voltage input as opposed to RCA?

I understand that XLR is excellent for microphone because of low impedence, so the wire from microphone to mixer/input device can run for 100's of meters long.

But, LINE voltage is significantly much higher and don't have the noise problem of a long run of cable. In any instance, if I want to use LINE voltage, it has to come in from a mixer nearby ... where a normal RCA cable will be more than enough.

Bruce S. Yarock November 29th, 2004 08:30 AM

I don't know if there is any difference in noise between the two, but I need the option of being able to use either ( depending on the board situation).
Bruce Yarock

Don Palomaki November 30th, 2004 05:56 AM

The advantage to balancd lines (usually XLR) is noise cancellation. To simplify a bit, Long lines are more likely to pick up stray electrical and magnetically induced noise thatn short lines. Balanced lines by their geometry and electrical connection tend to cancel this noise. With the same cable, the noise level induced will be the same, however, with line level signals the nosie ends up 30-60 dB lower relative to the desired signal than with mic level sources. The potential benefit of balanced is not as significant in this applicaiton.

Only you can judge if it is worth the additional cost and gear in your applications. But in general for relatvely short runs (say, a few feet) in electrically quiet locations balancd is not needed on line-level signals. (Consider the typical home HiFi - which does not used balanced signals for anything - even the turntable pickup, which is about mic level).)