XLR connections on XL2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old November 28th, 2004, 07:45 AM   #1
Regular Crew

XLR connections on XL2

Hi,

I want to buy an xl2, but I have a question abaut the audio.
Does anyone know if you can switch between a microphone signal op a line in signal on the xlr connectors on the xl2?

thx
Tim Commeijne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2004, 08:13 AM   #2
Major Player

I tried it ... the XLR connection for XL2 is meant for microphones only. Have to use the RCA connectors. On the other hand, it MIGHT be possible to turn on Mic attentuation and check if the signal is still okay?
TingSern Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2004, 10:48 AM   #3
Regular Crew

No, it is MIC ONLY.
Old November 29th, 2004, 04:53 AM   #4
Wrangler

If it is similar to the MA-100 front end, signals in excess of around -10 dB will be well into clipping. BEst to stay with mic level singals, i.e., on the order of -30 dBV or lower. If using line-level XLR sources, add an appropriate attenuator into the line. Readily available from professional sound dealers and relatively expensive.
Old November 29th, 2004, 05:51 AM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

And again, as TingSern Wong has already pointed out, both sets of RCA jacks on the right side of the camera are set up for line-level inputs.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2004, 06:23 AM   #6
Trustee

I wanted the option of taking sound off of a mixing board via the xlr inputs. I bought two "line to mike pad" barrell converters, which were $30 each, and they work fine. They are made by "PSC" ( i got mine from Trew Audio). Now I have the option of using either the rca's or the xlr inputs.
Bruce Yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2004, 08:03 AM   #7
Major Player

Are there any real significant advantages to using XLR for LINE voltage input as opposed to RCA?

I understand that XLR is excellent for microphone because of low impedence, so the wire from microphone to mixer/input device can run for 100's of meters long.

But, LINE voltage is significantly much higher and don't have the noise problem of a long run of cable. In any instance, if I want to use LINE voltage, it has to come in from a mixer nearby ... where a normal RCA cable will be more than enough.
TingSern Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2004, 08:30 AM   #8
Trustee

I don't know if there is any difference in noise between the two, but I need the option of being able to use either ( depending on the board situation).
Bruce Yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2004, 05:56 AM   #9
Wrangler

The advantage to balancd lines (usually XLR) is noise cancellation. To simplify a bit, Long lines are more likely to pick up stray electrical and magnetically induced noise thatn short lines. Balanced lines by their geometry and electrical connection tend to cancel this noise. With the same cable, the noise level induced will be the same, however, with line level signals the nosie ends up 30-60 dB lower relative to the desired signal than with mic level sources. The potential benefit of balanced is not as significant in this applicaiton.

Only you can judge if it is worth the additional cost and gear in your applications. But in general for relatvely short runs (say, a few feet) in electrically quiet locations balancd is not needed on line-level signals. (Consider the typical home HiFi - which does not used balanced signals for anything - even the turntable pickup, which is about mic level).)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders