Was Your XL2 Box Factory Sealed? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old November 30th, 2004, 12:18 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Was Your XL2 Box Factory Sealed?

Just a quick question. My XL2 arrived tonight. Inside the Fed Ex packing box was the XL2 box. Although the XL2 box was closed using a flap system, it wasn't actually taped shut. There was no tape. Is that normal, or does Canon factory "seal" the box with some sort of packing tape.

The camera seems fine and works well. There's no evidence of anyone actually ever using it before. But is there some way to find out if the camea has been used before, say by accessing the tape drum, or camera operational hours?

Thanks much.

Douglas
Douglas Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2004, 12:45 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Douglas. When I recieved mines, it wasn't taped up either. Just the packaging box then the Canon box. I even took pictures of the package for insurance purposes. If you want to see how it looked when I first opened the box, visit these links:

http://www.dvfilms.net/images/xl2box3.jpg
http://www.dvfilms.net/images/xl2box2.jpg

Hope this helps,

Sid
Sid Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2004, 01:13 AM   #3
Major Player

I don't think there's any kind of "official seal" from Canon, if that's what you mean. The flaps keep the box closed. I received mine in the same way.

If you purchased your camcorder from an authorized Canon dealer, you should have no worries. All the sponsers for DVInfo are authorized sellers, for example. If you purchased elsewhere however, well...

Speaking of FedEx: how was your box delivered? Any signs of damage in the corners? How about the Canon box itself?
Christopher Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2004, 02:52 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Fed Ex appears to handled the box reasonably well. There's no sign of outer box breakage and the XL2 box inside was entirely fine.

THanks for everyone's input. It puts my mind at ease.

Douglas
Douglas Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2004, 04:44 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Douglas,

No taped seal on mine either, and Zotz (my retailer) says the open the box to remove the registration card to send to canon anyway.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2004, 01:39 AM   #6
Major Player

My Canon box showed some signs of damage in two seperate, opposite corners of the box. The corners were crushed slightly as was the external box.

Camera works fine and everything appears to be in order, but this will happen occasionally for shipments to Hawaii. Next time I order, I'm going to insist on extra styrofoam.
Christopher Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2004, 11:32 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I know that you said XL-2, but none of my XL-1 boxes were taped shut. They were interlocked cardboard as they were made to be and double boxed for shipping. No issues. It does seem like such a high priced item would be taped shut though.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2004, 06:06 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I've noticed from those pictures that the new XL-2 boxes have gone environmental, brown bag look that is. I guess that's how they kept the price down to 5000K, not using all that high gloss paper and color print like the original XL-1 came in. Ha, ha, ha....
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2004, 05:01 PM   #9
Regular Crew

UK model, no seals and no damage, although the cover on the BNC and video out ports is a little slack!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders