DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   XL2 Cases....What... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/35926-xl2-cases-what.html)

Travis Maynard December 5th, 2004 12:34 AM

XL2 Cases....What...

I recently recieved my XL2 in the mail. I absolutely love it. It's a great cam, but there's just one problem. THE HARDCASE IS 500$. After spending 4500$ on a cam, the last thing I want to see is a 500$ price tag on the case. The KATA softcase ranges in the 300$ range I believe, so either way I go it's going to be far too expensive just to keep my camera safe. I have no more money to spend out right now and Im getting paranoid keeping my camera just laying around. Is there anyway to make your own case or any alternative cases that are cheaper and that would work well with the XL2? Im kinda desperate and Im low on money... I don't know where else to turn.

Christopher Go December 5th, 2004 01:32 AM

Hello Travis, welcome to DVInfo!

As for a case for your new XL2, you could try visiting Lowe's or similar hardware store and looking for a rugged tool bag of some kind. Depending on what you are able to get, I'd disassemble the camera to pack it for safety since these bags aren't made to hold electronic gear like that. This should also be just a temporary solution until you can afford more.

When it comes to camera budgets, many people forget about a proper case and some other essentials. In a way, these items should be considered a part of the initial budget, and not just a secondary concern. Afterall, it is a considerable investment and you should protect it. $300 to $400 is really a small price should your $4500 to $5000 camera get broken.

So for anyone else looking for a camera right now, figure on adding an additional amount for a good protective camera case.

Hope you're able to find something in the meanwhile, Travis, good luck!

Bruce S. Yarock December 5th, 2004 08:57 AM

I'm really happy with my Porta-Brace. It's big and has good metal protection for the view finder. It was $329. The only drawback is that it's probably too big to fit in the airplane overhaed( not that I fly much).
Bruce yarock

Jim Exton December 5th, 2004 11:54 AM

Check out Pelican cases or better yet Doskocil. They are the same type of case, but Doskocils tend to be less expensive. For general all around carrying, you can't beat these cases. If you are going to be shipping your camera everywhere like a rental house does, you will need something better, but if you are going to carry on or even check your camera, these cases rule.

I have used them to protect super8mm cameras, my CP16R, my GL1, microphones, etc. Couldn't live without them.

Devin Doyle December 5th, 2004 12:03 PM

For maximum protection that won't break the bank, the pelican 1610 case looks like a prime candidate: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=200016&is=REG. I'm purchasing an XL2 in the near future and have done my homework on cases. I think this is the best quality/price point ratio around. If you do a search you'll find what other people are using to house their XL2s.

Travis Maynard December 5th, 2004 12:17 PM

Thanks for the help guys. I'd say that this will only have to be temporary. I will visit Lowe's today and check out what they may have. Then I will focus on affording the official hardcase. Looked at a Porta-Brace on ebay and it looked to be a very nice case. The Pelican also looks very good. I found a few cases similar to the Pelican on ebay. How exactly do cases like that work? Must you precut the foam, or do you just put the camera on the faom and let it kinda sink into the foam? Im kinda ignorant on cases. For now I will visit Lowe's and pick me up a tool bag and some good foam.

Thanks once again for your help!

- Travis

Richard Alvarez December 5th, 2004 12:25 PM

Pelican style cases usually have two options "Pick and Pluck" and Padded Dividers.

For the Pick and Pluck, the foam is pre-scored into individual blocks. You Pick and pluck the blocks away from the layer of foam to form a rough "outline" of the equipment. Then nestle it in.

The padded dividers are just that. They are flexible padded dividers, with male and female velcro ends. You arrange the dividers into sections anyway you like in the box.

Some people feel the pluck foam shreds and eventually falls apart.
Some people feel the dividers don't provide enought support.
Some people buy expensive foam and hand cut it with electric carving knives.

Some people say Tomatoe some say ToMAHtoe...

Travis Maynard December 5th, 2004 01:39 PM

I figured it would be something of that sort. I saw some cases with the padded divders, It seems to me that the pick and pluck method would be easier on your camera. I think I may have an old VHS camera hardcase around the house somewhere, and I believe it's big enough for the XL2. If that's the case I may just end up having to buy some good foam and shape it around in that. I take it that when you put it in your case it's better to disassemble to camera? I have seen some pictures with the camera in the case with it assembled. What would be the best thing to do for the cameras sake?

4500$ is already out of my budget and I should have done some more researching before I got myself into this situation. Thanks a lot guys!

David Levine December 5th, 2004 02:48 PM

Cheap case

Well, this may make me a bit of a heretic or maybe even a fool, but so far, it seems to be working for me just fine
Spending that much on a case just wasnt what I wanted to invest in at this time, so I measured the length of the camera, went and bought a fairly inexpensive piece of luggage with a stiff frame that was about the correct size and pillaged some foam from a old light case I had to line it with. The new case also has plenty of pockets for lens cleaners, tapes, cords, ect. and the camera can be strapped in by the little stretchy cords meant to hold clothes in. All and all I think the casue was like $45, and the foam, while free could have been bought at the hardware store.
Now, I dont know if I would want to trust this kinda setup were I on the road with the camera alot or hiking up to do a shoot, but for the stuff I do, I just dont see any problem. I think the first thing when buying any piece is to really think of how its gonna be used.

Thomas Wagner December 6th, 2004 08:43 AM

Alu Case

Rimowa Case I love it.

http://www.rimowa.de/seiten/produkte_db/gb/detail.asp?Artikel=38403

http://www.rimowa.de/

It is superb! Costs 260 €

Thomas

Marty Hudzik December 6th, 2004 09:08 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Travis Maynard : I I take it that when you put it in your case it's better to disassemble to camera? I have seen some pictures with the camera in the case with it assembled. What would be the best thing to do for the cameras sake? -->>>

I personally tote mine around town in a Tamrac softbag and never disassemble it. It did the same with my XL1 for yearsand never had a problem. I like the ability to "whip it out" if you will and be ready for action. However when I travel long distances and have to take it on a flight or in some kind of industrial vehicle I would reccomend taking it apart and storing it in a foam packed carry case to ensure it is safe.

Jeff Price December 6th, 2004 10:15 AM

HAs anyone played around with the bags made by Petrol? They are cheaper but I haven't seen one to compare build quality to Kata or PortaBrace.

A little warning about Pelican Cases. IF I had to check my camera on the plane I would want one (but locking is still a problem and the TSA locks are no guarantee they won't be cut off). However, some of the larger cases are quite heavy. Add in the camera (the reason you bough the case) and you exceed the wight limits on some airlines.

Weight limits? Well, they were always a problem in some parts of the world and recently many US airlines have started charging for bags that weight more than 50 pounds.

Rick Pavlidis December 9th, 2004 07:22 AM

I actually use a Patrol PCUB-2 and am really satisfied with it.

First of all, it fits into the handluggage-bins of (bigger) aircrafts so you can take it with you, second, due to special protection space you can store the XL-2 directly with VF and MIC mounted (!!!) sou you´re ready to go.

There´s enough space 4 an extra mike, tapes, headphones etc. and the price was about € 300.- ; not too expensive, I think...

Cheers

Rick

Travis Maynard December 9th, 2004 07:35 AM

Ahh, very nice. Thanks a lot guys. Im trying to get some funds now to purchase so I will have some time to do some research on all of these! Thanks once again!

Travis Maynard December 16th, 2004 07:16 PM

Curious to what you guys might think of this. I did some ebay searching and found this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20330&item=3861169626&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Now, would that be something I should get? What may be the Pro's and Con's of that kind of case? Give me all you know! Would you buy it for yourself? Would the XL2 fit in it comfortably?

It's pretty cheap and looks like it will be just dandy for a temporary case.

Thanks!