Getting an XL-2! Now, about the accessories... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old January 4th, 2005, 01:39 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Getting an XL-2! Now, about the accessories...

OK, after reading every thread on every forum ever, I've finally decided to get the XL-2. This will be my first camera purchase (did most of my work on borrowed cheapies and rented PD-150s). I'll be using the camera primarilly for filmmaking, with the occasional music video thrown in (gotta get paid somehow!). I've spent so much time reading about the details of the cameras, I haven't done much reading on anything else. I need a little help picking out the rest of the setup:

2. Lens: Probably going to get the 20x with the camera, the 16x manual, and the 3x manual. Any reason I need the 20x? Could I do without it?

1. Tripod and Head: I am completely clueless here. I've never purchased one. I'd like a decent tripod and head that can hold the XL-2 and a mattebox/filterholder/follow focus (eventually). It seems like the tripods with the spreaders at the bottom are more stable, but I really have no clue. Any advice here would be much appreciated.

2. Mattebox/follow focus: The Crosziel looks sweet, but 3 grand might be pushing my budget. Any other options?

3. batteries: Best for the price?

4. Monitor: LCD or tube? I've read that the panisonic 7inch is pretty good, and the price is decent.

Anything else I should deffinately have? Thanks a lot for the help, it is much appreciated.

-tm
Jason Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2005, 01:58 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Jason,

Welcome aboard. You're asking some fairly common questions which have already been discussed before here in some degree of detail. All you need to do is start browsing through the threads and make your replies where you see fit. For instance, here's one discussion about XL2 accessories, etc: that's just like yours:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=36981

Roll up your sleeves and dig in! There's a lot of great info here.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders