Recommended way of lugging XL2 around (bag) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old January 9th, 2005, 06:51 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Recommended way of lugging XL2 around? (bag question)

Hi all

I had a nice bag for my xl1 but the xl2 does not fit so I sold it off with the camera when I was selling it.

So, now, I have a bag of tricks, cables, tapes, filters, batteries, mics, chargers, etc etc in a shopping bag and a loose xl2 in my car. Not good. I need a bag/case to hold the lot. What do people use. I'd also like it to cost less than €150 if possible. Ideally, I'd like to keep everything in one bag as I can just grap it and go and know I have everything there.

Cases I guess are fine but you have to cut the foam to fit everything in and it's not great for all the little bits and pieces. So I guess a bag is the best option. If anybody know where I can buy a decent bag in Europe it'd be great as we're getting screwed with import duty in this country if stuff comes from the states.

Thanks in advance...
Donie
Old January 9th, 2005, 07:07 PM   #2
New Boot

I have a Portabrace CTC-3 that I used for my XL1s with a MA200 adapter and the XL2 fits perfectly. I highly reccomend it, I took it to India and London recently. I carry it in my car almost daily. It has several pouches for tapes, batteries, etc. I'm sure there are other brands Kata, for example. I am not familiar with them but they are highly regarded.
David M. Geary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2005, 07:13 PM   #3
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by David M. Geary : I have a Portabrace CTC-3 that I used for my XL1s with a MA200 adapter and the XL2 fits perfectly. I highly reccomend it -->>>

Hi David

I searched online and found that bag, looks good, a bit expensive so I'll have a look around and see if I can buy in Europe. Many thanks for that.

Donie
Old January 9th, 2005, 07:43 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Ps

My original bag was Lowepro COMMERCIAL AW DV bag.

http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Shoulder_Bags/superior/Commercial_AW_DV.aspx
Old January 9th, 2005, 09:46 PM   #5
Tourist

I own the Canon System Case HC-3200 for all three of my XL2s and it protects the cameras very well. Although it is pretty large and bulky, it allows for ample storage for accessories beneath the camera and secures the camera within the case extremely well. It also has key locks on the case which is a nice feature.

-Brady
Brady Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2005, 12:16 AM   #6
Major Player

I just got the Portabrace Quickdraw bag for my XL2 and love it. Very quick access, but still feels like it has a lot of support for the camera and other items. Big enough pockets for a camera light, batteries, shotgun mic and/or tripod plate, cables, etc.

http://portabrace.com/asp/ProdDesc.asp?DescCode=CC

It fits the XL2 w/ 20x lense AND the CH910 battery mounted on back. No need to take anything apart...which you gotta' love.

Kevin
Kevin Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2005, 11:02 PM   #7
Major Player

I have the Lowepro AW Commercial Pro bag too. But I found the bag a bit too small to cope with the XL2 completely assembled with the microphone and 20X lens and the bracket for holding the Anton Brauer Gold Mount adaptor. I have to remove the mic to make the camera fit into the bag. Even then the camera can't really go in straight - but a bit slightly "sideways".

TS
TingSern Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2005, 02:16 AM   #8
New Boot

Does anyone use the Petrol Bag made for the xl1-s, i was scoping that out because it came with the rain cover, i was wondering if the xl2 with 20x lens on would even fit.
Jason Hakala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2005, 06:18 AM   #9
Tourist

Donie,

I went to a local fishing tackle shop (mainly carp stuff) and purchased a "Fox" tackle bag which is waterproof and also has a rubber base so no problem putting it down in the wet. This cost about £45, a snip compared with my tailored "Tamrac" and also has enough room, side pockets etc, for my Canon 100-400 EF lens, spare batteries etc etc. You may have to remove the XL2 lens hood depending on what else is in the bag, otherwise a bargain that does the trick.

I also bought a fishing trolley (presumably something not seen across the Atlantic Ocean but certainly seen across the Irish Sea) on which I can strap both the bag and my Gitzo tripod, with the trolley "big wheels" meaning I can use the outfit in rough terrain leaving both hands free (for me) to use binoculars as and when required,

Ron
Ron Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2005, 06:22 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Hi Ron

Sounds good, we really get ripped of on bags and stuff just cause it lugs an expensive camera. Your bag sound partical and would be a great choice for me as I do a lot of outdoor stuff.

However, I've orders a CTC-3...

Thanks for the info
Donie
Old January 11th, 2005, 01:47 PM   #11
Regular Crew

i am currently using the petrol bag and the xl2 does fit - however i do have to take off the mic in order to get it in the bag.... but w/ lens attached it does fit .....
Ronnie William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2005, 04:02 PM   #12
Regular Crew

I was given a KATA CCC-10 for Christmas for my XL-2 and can report it works well. The camera can fit fully assembled and it protects well. I can store an extra lens, filters, recharger, batteries, and even my Nikon 4200 digital still camera in it. Fit in all the overhead bins I tested except for 1 commuter plane.

Very nice.
Old January 13th, 2005, 06:05 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Love my Tamrac 2249 bag. Fits the 20X with mic no problem. It also has a compartment in the front for an extra lens.

Here's a pic of the inside of the XL2 compartment:

www.andrewoh.net/images/tamrac.jpg

Notice the cutout for the eyepiece.

BH link:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=196396&is=REG
Andrew Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2005, 10:42 PM   #14
Major Player

I'm really liking my Porta Brace HKP-3.

www.portabrace.com/asp/ProdDesc.asp?DescCode=HV

It will hold just about everything. I can kinda get the matte box, ff and everything else in there. It gets a bit crowded. There are some D rings that I affix my AC pouches to.

It can be a carry bag and when you unzip one side, it becomes a backpack. This is very handy as I am often running around and I can pretty much toss it in there and move, I haven't tried it with the matte box on and in full studio rig, but it will most likely require a partial disassembley. It is a bit pricey, but spending a few hundred bucks to protect my $5K investment is worth it.

I put a Domke wrap over the area where the tie down belt goes over the camera and make sure the camera's WB and gain knobs are pushed in, so they won't snag, or break.

A Pelican Case is also good, but it's a bit on the bulky side. The 1650, or 1620 with wheels and pop up handle are great.

If you can get a cheapo rolling suitcase, that might be good for car travel. Just add some padding and stiffeners, Do not check it on a plane. Strictly for walking, or the car. Go Pelican if you're going to ship it, or beter yet, get a carry-on sized bag. Check for restrictions before you fly.

Double check stuff, the XL2 is a few inches longer than the XL1, so some things designed for the XL1 are now being touted as being for the XL2 as well. Not always the case. The HKP-3 comes with a divider, but there's no room for it. I just jam everything in there. But I make sure that nothing will get smashed.
Old January 16th, 2005, 04:10 AM   #15
New Boot

Hi all,

I have just received the KATA Backpack BP502.
It's like it is build for the XL2 with room for all the cables, batteries, mics etc.
It's not a small bag but that is the compromise you have to make.
You can place the whole camera insite the bag without changing anything. On the back there is a special place for a laptop, for me that is important because i often take my Dell Latitude D800 laptop with me.
In the inside you can change all the appartments so you can fit allmost anything in the bag.

Don't forget this is a back made by professionals for professionals.

Just go to www.kata.com and you will see the different bags

Obed.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders