Bad Balance at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old January 17th, 2005, 08:56 PM   #1
New Boot

Bad Balance

First time i handled the XL1 a few years back i was surprised at how badly balanced the thing was. Besides being front heavy, it seemed to pull to the left really hard and my right wrist was sore from having to pull it back level. I found that it helps to support the left side of the camera with thumb of my left hand on that little nub with the shutter and iris controls. Looking at the brochure for the XL2, i noticed in the overhead photos that the lens port is not centered on the camera body. I've had my hands on every class of camera from a Bolex to a Betacam to an Arri 535, and every one of those and every other camera i've ever handled did have the lens centered on the body, except for the XL series. Anybody have a clue why?
Carl Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2005, 02:08 AM   #2
Wrangler

Carl:

I can't explain the off-centering of the XL series myself, although I have wondered at it a bit. However, I would speak to the weight distribution of many 35mm cameras, such as every Panavision camera since the Panaflex and the Arri BL's, that have side-mounted motors causing the center of gravity to shift as much as several inches off the center of the lens port.
Old January 18th, 2005, 07:43 AM   #3
Major Player

Whatever the reasons for the design it is definitely true that the center of gravity is such that unless I am really conscious of what I am doing the camera will roll right into my neck. This happens even though I too keep my left hand on that protrusion that mounts the iris control. I've got lots of otherwise beauriful footage with tilted horizons.
A. J. deLange is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders