DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   My baby! She won't wake up Eeeeeek! :~( (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/38679-my-baby-she-wont-wake-up-eeeeeek.html)

Richard Alvarez February 17th, 2005 09:23 AM

I wouldn't leap to that conclusion. The problem might be with the pair of FU-1000 viewfinders, that overdrew when powered up. Both Mark and I were using them.

As I said, drawing a particular conclusion would be a mistake.

Anthony Marotti February 17th, 2005 09:31 AM

Very True!

Mark Sasahara February 18th, 2005 10:13 PM

Yeah, at this point it's pretty hard to really pin down exactly what the cause is. All we have are my camera and Richard's camera and our anecdotal/coincedental evidence. It seems that different things lead to the main fuse popping, but we don't really know.

No one else has replied with a similar experience. If it were a bigger problem we would have heard from other users by now, I should think.

Bill Zens April 27th, 2005 08:13 PM

Panic Mode

I am getting ready to log a tape today on my computer, have the XL2 plugged into Firewire and AC power, at my desktop station. I move the cam, and re-adjust the Firewire, then start with some software setups, ignoring the camera while she runs...But the camera, it... just...is...DEAD!!! Worst, yet, there's that happy, telltale smell of fried electronics wafting over the back.
You know that sinking feeling you get when you know that something's really messed up...Well I've got it.
I found this thread in the forum, and this master fuse sounds like the problem. I am using the standard setup (20X lens, etc) , and am not using the B+W viewfinder. I think maybe this has something to do with the firewire, as I did not power down when I plugged/unplugged 1394. That's the only consistency I see with the other two problems.
So now, I guess I've gotta send it back to Canon...I'm leary in sending it to LA if they'lre gonna find an excuse to blame me/charge me for it; is NJ better? Also, in shipping it, I'd rather use my original XL2 packing...box, etc, and perhaps overwrap. Or should I use something else?
Worst thing is, this is in the middle of a new project, tape is stuck etc. I'm like 'ohmygod, ohmygod, ohmygod...", and I'm not anywhere close to being a teenager.
I got my gear from Zotz, and I'll call Brian tomorrow. Maybe he can calm me down.

Chris Hurd April 27th, 2005 09:25 PM

Bill, it's still under warranty so you won't get charged. Brian will take good care of you,

Mark Sasahara April 28th, 2005 04:41 AM

Yeah, I think that when you are plugging or unplugging firewire, lens, battery, or viewfinder, power off the camera. Audio and video ins/outs can be plugged and unplugged w/no problem.

My camera didn't have a fried smell though.

Send to Canon, you are under warranty, so you shouldn't have any problems.

Richard Alvarez April 28th, 2005 07:57 AM

EMPATHY.... sending it out to you buddy...

Brian at Zotz will do you right... absolutely. He's a stand up guy in a bent world.

Send it to Canon in NJ, just because it's closer to you.

There's always the possiblility that Canon will claim "User Error" or "abuse"... at which point you are screwed.

No 'fried smell' when mine blew either.

Sooner sent, sooner back. Good luck

Anthony Marotti April 28th, 2005 11:47 AM

Hello All,

This problem isn't just an isolated case, and it is quite severe IMHO. If it should crop up for me, I would consider it quite severe indeed. I am about to travel across the US to do a job with an XL1 and my newly acquired XL2, if it fails I will be more than upset!

If I knew of this problem sooner, I would have purchased a different camera!

If Canon doesn't do something to correct this problem, I feel that it could be fodder for a class action suite.

Even if Canon fixes the camera for free, and pays for shipping both ways, downtime is way more costly! This should be field serviceable, or the cause should be routed out and all of our cameras recalled and fixed (loaners provided for free).

This is horrible!

Richard Alvarez April 28th, 2005 11:50 AM

ANthony,
The latest failure, does not seem related to mine or Marks. So it's hard to say what 'problem' needs to be fixed. My new Xl2 hasn't had the problem. Maybe they have fixed whatever element it was... I don't know.

Anthony Marotti April 28th, 2005 11:54 AM

Hi,

I thought the problem was restricted to the XL2 ??

This seems to be a correctable problem. All of the cases I have read about, Canon only had a guess to what caused the fuse to blow. A fuse shouldn't blow unless it is protecting the camera from a severe problem. If it were a severe problem that blew the fuse, Canon would know the cause... get it?

So they have to shore up the circuitry so that the fuse ONLY blows when actually protecting the camera!!

That is my point, but I hear what you are saying!

Thanks!

Arlie Nava April 28th, 2005 12:33 PM

this is scary, Xl2s blowing up fuses and nobody has a clue why! Maybe connecting and disconnecting firewire without turning the XL2 is the culprit but i never had that problem with other cameras. It is even more dissapointing when you consider that the XL2 is a high end miniDV camera. <ost low end cams don't have this problem. I think canon has to be informed about this problem. If they claim that not turning your camera off when connecting/disconnecting firewire is a user abuse, i think that's 100% BS! IOt spells weak electronic design as far as i am concerned. I do hope my unit will be more cooperative.

Bill Zens April 28th, 2005 01:40 PM

Brian has calmed me down quite a bit, and I am returning the camera today. Brian does feel that it is related to the DV cable, and that plugging and unplugging in a "hot" situation is not recommended.

Although I've had the camera just over a month, I have been doing this kind of "hot" switch in the past with no affect. In fact, Page 101 of the user manual titled:

Connecting to a Computer Using a DV (IEEE1394) Cable

States:

"If the computer freezes while you have connected the camcorder, disconnect and reconnect the DV cable. If the problem persists disconnect the interface cable, turn off camcorder and computer, turn camcorder and computer back on and reconnect them."

According to this, it looks like Canon is OK with the hot switch as well...Me, I'm going to turn my camera off in the future (when it comes back) whenever plugging something to it.

John Plunkett April 28th, 2005 01:57 PM

It's probably common knowledge around here, but I would get real familiar with the wiring schematics of wherever your editing station is located. Connecting two units together that are drawing bi-polar AC current can result in some wicked damage!

David Lach April 28th, 2005 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Sasahara
Yeah, I think that when you are plugging or unplugging firewire, lens, battery, or viewfinder, power off the camera. Audio and video ins/outs can be plugged and unplugged w/no problem.

You sure? I use a shotgun mic that is powered through phantom power and even though my camera appears to be fine right now, I do remember that soundman on my last gig that kept pluging and unpluging the XLR cable without turning the phantom power off when I had my back turned (even though I told him not to do so). I'm afraid now. If this issue is power related, pluging and unpluging a powered XLR cable carelessly might have weaken the master fuse. Hope not, or that soundman will be hearing it from me! ;)

Anthony Marotti April 29th, 2005 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Plunkett
It's probably common knowledge around here, but I would get real familiar with the wiring schematics of wherever your editing station is located. Connecting two units together that are drawing bi-polar AC current can result in some wicked damage!

The only way to use AC on the Xlxx is through the AC Converter/Power Supply, which isolates the camera from AC, so that wouldn't be it.

And if anyone dares to tell us that plugging a firewire cable into the camera will cause a fuse to blow... and that is OK... They are crazy to think that anyone would buy that.

This is a serious problem, and Canon has other problems as well such as a peculiar tape transport/recording system that can only semi reliably share tapes with other Canon cameras, bending lines recorded to tape due to some focusing or sharpness aberration, etc.

I liked Canons because I always had Canon and Nikon 35mm cameras and I liked the lenses and camera quality. I can get some great images from the XL series and I like the odd look of the camera. For a small Prosumer camera, it looks more professional than the smaller competitive cameras. For my business, looks do count. I use hi-end cameras on some shoots, but if the budget is tight, I go MiniDV, but the client still expects Hollywood. The look of the XL is slightly deceptive and the camera looks more expensive than it is.

But all of that is mute if the camera fails in the field!

I have had record inconsistencies, straight lines of buildings come out bent horribly and other annoyances. I think Canon needs to fix our rigs.

I think that my next inexpensive camera will by DVCAM and I will not buy another Canon product in the future unless Canon addresses these issues.

After this next shoot, I am going to put these cameras up for sale :-(