DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   My baby! She won't wake up Eeeeeek! :~( (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/38679-my-baby-she-wont-wake-up-eeeeeek.html)

Mark Sasahara May 1st, 2005 10:13 PM

It's a prosumer camera and it's MiniDV. It is what it is.

Like I said before if this was a serious problem, then we would have heard from other people by now, this is a pretty popular forum for XL2 people. You are number three.

Since getting my camera back from Canon in March, I've shot a bunch of jobs with my camera. I've put it on standby and plugged & unplugged the audio and video ports with no ill effects so far. I do feel a twinge of anxiety sometimes, but I keep shooting.

Yes it is troubling and frustrating, but as I said: it is what it is. Please let me know if you are selling your XL2, I'd like to have a back up.

Anthony Marotti May 2nd, 2005 06:04 AM

Hi Mark,

Yes, I agree, it is what it is. It is a low priced camera, but I expect more from a company like Canon. I am a consumer advocate, so a critical eye is in my nature.

I think that I will sell the XL1 and the XL2 as a package after this shoot and replace them with a Sony DVCAM unit. I'll have to see how I feel after this shoot.

The XL2 hasn't even got 5 hours on it, and the XL1 may have 20 hours. I am a "clean and care fanatic", so the XL1 is like new as well.

What do you think they are worth??

Thanks for the reply !

Mark Sasahara May 2nd, 2005 08:46 PM

Not sure about the XL1, but the XL2 being brand new, should fetch a decent price. You may want to separate the cameras, though.

Anthony Marotti May 3rd, 2005 02:58 AM

Hey Mark,

Thanks for the reply.

I'll share my thoughts after this shoot :-)

Bill Zens May 5th, 2005 11:07 AM

She's Back

My repaired XL2 came back today. Thanks very much to Canon who expedited the repair. When I first called in, I talked to a receiving tech who told me they very busy, and maybe I should call back in a couple days. Lead time, she says, is usually a couple weeks!!!

They called me however the next day, and this technician understood the sense of urgency, and asked me a couple questions about my setup, and hinted that they'd make repair a priority.

That they did...I got the Camera back in my hands less than 36 hours after his call.

Mark Sasahara May 5th, 2005 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Lach
You sure? I use a shotgun mic that is powered through phantom power and even though my camera appears to be fine right now, I do remember that soundman on my last gig that kept pluging and unpluging the XLR cable without turning the phantom power off when I had my back turned (even though I told him not to do so). I'm afraid now. If this issue is power related, pluging and unpluging a powered XLR cable carelessly might have weaken the master fuse. Hope not, or that soundman will be hearing it from me! ;)

That won't do anything to the camera, not sure about the mic. The soundman should know enough not to f with your camera with out your say so and supervision. He'd have a fit if you messed with his gear.

The phantom power on/off during unplugging is a good question for the audio forum. Do a search first, this may have already been addressed.

Mark Sasahara May 5th, 2005 12:45 PM

Bill, glad to hear that it was quick. Canon does very well by their customers. No problems since I got mine back from their NJ service center. I've run 26 hours of tape through it since and she's rollin' like a champ.

I just recently made a little sheet where I keep track of the maintenenace and usage on the camera. This way I can keep an accurate count of hours between head cleanings and under what conditions the camera was used, etc. Okay, so I'm a little meticulous.

Bill Zens May 12th, 2005 12:55 PM

Bent 1394 Pin

Hey all, I found out the cause of my camera's failure, and thought I'd pass it along, for your info.

I got my XL2 back last Thursday, shot some video and went to transfer it to my computer. Sure enuf, just like the previous week, it was not loading video from the camera to the computer...This time, though, I notice the computer does not even recognize the camera...So I switch the camera to different 1394 ports on the computer, (all the while, putting her in standby and being real careful...) and still nothing...Pretty soon, I have that nasty smell of death (Fried electornics), and a camera that won't power up.

She's gone again.

This time, tho, I believe I have locallized it, and I asked Canon to specifically look at the 1394 port and test it on the computer. They confirmed the problem rested with the 1394 in the camera, saying I had a "bent pin" there, which has been fixed. I don't know how the "bent pin" happened, but my existing 1394 cable is finding a rapid route to the trash can, and a new one will take its place.

This problem is easily identifiable, and doesn't need to fry your camera before you know it's there. When attaching the 1394 to the Camera, your computer should immediately recognize it...Generally the computer will "ding" at you, then pop up a notification balloon on the computer that a dv device has been found. My computer didn't do that, and didn't see the camera, and I knew it didn't see it...I just kept fiddling around with it...

If you don't get that "connected" message, unplug your camera, and run like hell. My problem was, I kept the XL2 connected thru the firewire (probably 3-4 minutes), it was running just fine, except the computer didn't see it. Eventually, I guess, a power surge made it's way into the camera and zapped it.

Anthony Marotti May 12th, 2005 01:16 PM

Hello,

I am happy that you may have found the problem, sad that it took this anguish to do so.

I am skeptical though, sorry about that, but I didn't think that the signal that passes through the firewire port was powerful enough to... well, cause a fire :-o

I just don't think that you would get enough current through there to cause a short. I hope for your sake that you are right and never have this problem again !!

Yes, if you don't get recognition immediately through your firewire port, disengage, something is not right.

Good luck and please keep us informed :-)

Mark Sasahara May 12th, 2005 03:42 PM

Sorry you had to suffer the same fate twice, but glad that you were able to localize the problem.

All the best, -M

Kind of wishing the master fuse was user replaceble, or resetable.

Matthew Nayman May 12th, 2005 09:38 PM

Now that's a "FIRE WIRE"

What... no applause?

Sigh

Marty Hudzik May 13th, 2005 09:30 AM

I don't know if you are aware of this or not but in the mid nineties after Sony had success with the VX1000 and was starting to market the less expensive "home" DV cameras to the public, they did a survey of the target market and actually found that most people were afraid of the term "firewire" as it made them think it might catch something on fire. Seriously. Therefore Sony rebranded the firewire feature of these cameras with the term ilink in an effort to make the consumer feel more safe using it.

Matthew Nayman May 24th, 2005 09:09 AM

Takes A Bow...

Seriously, I fried my 3x lens by taking it off with the camera still on (oops, that little red light is far too small, and I am far too forgetful at times). Eitherway, crossing Contacts and Bent pins are the bain of my existence.

Matthew Cockrell June 2nd, 2005 08:29 AM

When a Camera dies, Ressurect it.

My XL2 has done a two scary things. 4 horizontal bars across the screen, a sudden loss of all vital signs. But in the end it was all solved by removing the battery and taking out the small internal battery, forcing the camera into a hard reboot. You will lose all stored settings in doing this but it is better than the alternative.

Matthew Cockrell

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Sasahara
So, there I was, shooting B Camera for a music video. Got my rig running, getting close ups of the talent. I'd been using it for the last three days. Everything is just grand. Even got tape of Emma Bunton aka Baby Spice on day one. Mark's a hero, not a zero.

During a short break I'm showing the camera to one of the crew and the camera shuts off. Okay, I'll just hit the standby button. Nothing. Push it again, still nothin'. Huh? Did the battery go? I'll get another. Pop that in, nothin'. Shit! What's wrong? How about another battery. Nothin' Turn it off, turn it on..."Hey we gotta roll tape here, can you roll"? Nope, the camera won't power up.

AC Adapter? Turning on and off, pushing buttons... Still nothin'. Let it cool down, maybe something really simple I overlooked. I'll go back to Gaffing and come back later. Sorry, B Camera failure. A Cam has to do it all now.

Later and then the next day, much testing of batteries and various power sources and still the camera won't power up and she won't barf up the tape neither. I didn't drop it, I didn't abuse it. I have been babying my little baby since I got her and she just won't wake up- More "waaaah waaaahing" from Mark. I even checked the internal #2025 battery and that was okay too.

I sent it to Canon earlier today. Better call 'em and let them know it's coming. At least it's under warranty and Chris From ZGC is going to help ride herd on that by checking in with Canon and helping it along. Thanks!

I'll keep y'all posted. Anyone else have their XL2 just die?

Keith Paisley October 10th, 2005 04:18 PM

another data point

Sorry to revive a rather dead thread, but I figured I'd register my experience for the potential benefit of others. I got my XL2 last November and have used it sparingly since them. I'd say I may have shot a total of 10-15 hours with it. Imagine my surprise in August when I was halfway across country shooting with it and midway through the day it just died. There was no warning whatsoever. It died halfway through our day - I had about 30 minutes worth of footage on the tape at the point it crapped out (I had shut it off during lunch, and after lunch it wouldn't power up at all). So obviously we couldn't get our tape out before returning it to the Canon service center. They turned it around pretty quickly, but when I got the camera back, the first thing I did was check the footage on the tape and unfortunately it was useless - nothing but a stuttering mess.

Even more unfortunate is the fact that now there were two new problems with the camera too. There was something wrong with the viewfinder connector, so there was no image on the EVF. I could wiggle the connector a little bit and sometimes it would "stick" and the EVF would stay on, but it made the camera nearly useless. Unfortunately, I was days away from another crosscountry trip and I absolutely had to have the camera, so I decided to live with it and then send it back upon my return. One other weird problem was some sort of "growth" that appeared inside the optics of the the eyepiece. At first I thought maybe it was something on the outside of one of the lens elements, but it was definitel internal. It almost looked like mold or something growing between the lens elements. Pretty disappointing. I store the camera in my office in a storm case and there's a large dessicant pack inside the case, so I don't think it's seen any excessive moisture. I sent it back in and got it back about a week later and all seems well for now. I'm leaving on Thursday for Japan and I'm praying that nothing goes wrong with it because there's nothing worse than lugging all that gear through airport security and checked baggage and then have it fail on you