Soft Carry Case at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old February 19th, 2005, 05:52 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Soft Carry Case

Extreme difficulty finding a soft carry case for my XL2.

Googling produces only SC-1000 and SC-2000 from the canon range, which are initially advertised as being for the xl1s (would presumably also accomodate the XL2), but when you click on 'specifications' it says explicitly that 'it is for most canon camcorders, EXCEPT FOR the xl1s'!!!

This is true for every website i have visited. Can anyone provide the correct information?

Also, which soft cases do you use, and which do you recommend?
Jon Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2005, 06:11 AM   #2
Trustee

Jon,
I was having the same problem finding a soft carry case for my FX1.
Then I read about www.cpcases.com - they are UK based and have a wide range of broadcast cases and bags.
Since both cameras are about the same size, I'm sure you'll find something that will suit you.
I always prefer to have the case a tad larger anyway, to add accessories etc.

Robin
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2005, 06:47 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I love my case. It's the Kata ccc-1. Soft yet strong and durable. check it out. And I have an XL-2.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=162746&is=REG
Old February 19th, 2005, 09:34 AM   #4
Wrangler

Regarding the Kata bags -- I have a "Panda" backpack/trolley-roller for my GL2 and I'm quite happy with it. Very convenient, configurable, and capable bag. Nicely designed, and while I'm not meaning to recommend it for XL2, it COULD do nicely as a carry-on bag for the XL2 if the mic/viewfinder assembly is removed. I would only assume that the bigger Kata bags would be similarly well-designed.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2005, 11:48 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Sakar Mach-10 Soft Case

I have the Sakar "Digital Concepts" Mach-10 case for my XL2. (Google for it if you're curious.) It came with a bunch of padded velcro dividers, all of which were promptly ripped out to make room for that large beast of a camera. It was necessary to loosen the mic clamp and slide the mic in all the way, but other than that, it's a pretty good fit. What I didn't like about it is there's really only room for the camera itself inside the case, and the outside pockets are about useless for anything but a few sheets of paper. So I found myself carrying the spare batteries, charger, etc. in another smaller case I had kicking around.

I'd love to have a hard case, but my current budget simply doesn't allow for spending $300+ on a fancy box to put my camera in and even if I could afford it, that seems overpriced by a factor of 2 or 3. The Sakar case can be had for well under $100.

-cw-
Charlie Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2005, 11:53 PM   #6
Major Player

Porta Brace. Made in the US, but I think they are available in the U.K.

I have the HKP-3 Hiker Pro and it's great. It can be a regular carry bag, but if you roll up the panel, it becomes a backpack.
http://www.portabrace.com/
U.K.

Search the website using the Photo Gallery. Lots of great stuff.

Found it- Porta Brace in the UK:

Pyser-SGI Limited
Fircroft Way
Edenbridge, Kent TN8 6HA

Phone: 440-173-2864111
Fax: 440-173-2865544
Email: sales@pyser-sgi.com

Cheers.
Old February 20th, 2005, 04:15 AM   #7
Regular Crew

thanks

thanks everyone for contributing. some good leads for me and my detectives to follow up!
Old April 2nd, 2005, 12:41 PM   #8
Regular Crew

new discovery

having decided that companies who charge upwards of £200 for a doggone BAG are full of the brown stuff, i chanced upon this:

http://www.dvinfo.net/canon/articles/article11.php

scott barber is a legend!

now, if he could only show us how to make century lenses out of $20 toolboxes...
Old April 2nd, 2005, 03:39 PM   #9
Trustee

I hate metal or hard plastic cases for carrying equipment. Soft, but extremely well-padded bags allow me to carry a lot of heavy equipment in comfort to anywhere in the world, in all types of conditions. I sometimes may use large, pro-grade Pelican cases on expeditions such as rafting down the Zambezi rapids, but more often I enclose the equipment inside large 100% waterproof soft bags when I'm travelling by boat/canoe/kayak.

I use the Kata CCC-1 bag on most of my location shoots (the tripod is fitted to the top of the bag underneath the carry handles and strap), but when I am flying (carry-on baggage), or trekking to remote regions, I also use the LowePro Nature Trekker rucksack (with extra padded large lens case, plus a tripod holder clipped to the outside).

For shooting during severe rainstorms or snow conditions etc, I use a large Kata waterproof rain-cover, which allows me to continue filming in any weather.
Old April 6th, 2005, 08:59 AM   #10
New Boot

Does the XL2 fit in it fully assembled?

<<<-- Originally posted by Mark Sasahara : Porta Brace. Made in the US, but I think they are available in the U.K.

I have the HKP-3 Hiker Pro and it's great. It can be a regular carry bag, but if you roll up the panel, it becomes a backpack.
Andrew Gold is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders