I'm consfused? My proposed setup... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old February 27th, 2005, 06:39 AM   #1
Regular Crew

I'm consfused? My proposed setup...

Right heres what i plan to get after a year of research.

XL2 Pal
P+S Technick Mini35
A bunch of Canon EF lenses
And a Follow Focas unit.

Now i read a post recently that said that without decent wide angle lenses i can't get true 16.9. If this is so i would like to know what lenses i should use and if they can be used with the Mini35.( I'm sure they can)

Thanks in advance.
Rabi Syid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2005, 08:31 AM   #2
Inner Circle

The XL2 can do native 16/9, so you shouldn't worry.
The lens hasn't anything to do with the chips that can shoot in widescreen.

And IF you want a wide angle: buy the 3x wide angle lens from Canon.

Good luck.
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2005, 08:46 AM   #3
Major Player

You need to use cine lenses, not still photo lenses. The EOS lenses are meant for a 24mm x 36mm still photo frame, about twice the size of a regular 4:3 cine frame. You would be getting about a 2X magnification with any still photo lenses. Great if you want a more telephoto effect. If you want wide, you'll need to get the cine lenses.

You will want to rent a set of Zeiss Super Speed lenses, or the new Arri/Zeiss Master Primes. These have a maximum aperture of T/1.3. With the Mini35, you loose about two stops of light with the relay lenses. So, you end up with about a T/2.8 max aperture.

Remember to turn on the oscillating ground glass when shooting and then shut it off between set ups. Create a method of shooting so that the camera operator and the assistant are checking to make sure that the mini35 is on/off at the appropriate time. Have extra batteries for it, or rent a larger battery/batteries that can power both camera and Mini35 adapter. Talk to the people at the rental house.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders