Film Festival XL2 Footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old May 16th, 2005, 07:24 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Film Festival XL2 Footage

My friend Cassidy and I entered a 24 hour film festival. Everything used in the video had to be completely original. Music, footage, etc. and you had 24 hour to write, produce, shoot, and edit the entire piece. It had to be under 5 minutes.

They gave 4 requirements that they drew from a hat to maintain your work had not been done prior.

Object: Spork
A line: "You ate sand? That's right"
Theme: If I knew then what I know now

We were the only team to produce a music video. We wrote the entire song from approximately 9:30 P.M. to 3 A.M. And began shooting at 3 A.M. until 1 P.M. and then edited from 1 P.M. until 9:30 P.M. when it was due.

http://www.brighterpeople.com/cass/if_I_only.html

Last edited by David Eggerichs; May 16th, 2005 at 11:56 AM. Reason: spelling
David Eggerichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2005, 08:45 AM   #2
Major Player

Killer. Isn't it great how limitations produce good work?
Old May 16th, 2005, 11:31 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Very nice. The ending totally caught me off guard. I loved that. That's a great piece. I never would have guessed that was only made in 24 hours. Well done.
Brent Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2005, 12:58 PM   #4
Major Player

man, I like your stuff. Even that one you guys put out a few months ago where you guys were eating pizza was neat.

great job in 24 hours.. I could only dream of coming up with something that creative.

who did the music? and which program did you use to do it in? Curious.

thanks
Adam Rench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2005, 07:16 AM   #5
Regular Crew

music

Adam, thanks...

I use reason 2.5 for all the instrumentation.... it's really an amazing app.. here is the link.

http://www.propellerheads.se/

and michael, your absolutely right, nothing is purer than quick improvisation...

Cassidy Bisher
www.motivitypictures.com
Cassidy Bisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2005, 07:54 AM   #6
Major Player

Cassidy,

Very cool program. Looks quite a bit like Pro Tools does. Do you write your own musis, play it on a keyboard and then record it with Reason?
Old May 17th, 2005, 08:03 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Reason 2.5

adam,

You can hook up a midi controller and play it (i don't have that lavishness).. but i write in all the notes, i play them on my guitar to find the melody...

the cool thing about reason is that it has real sampled instruments.. you can have a 40 piece orchestra to score your stuff... really amazing.

It's not the real thing but what's a guy supposed to do in bluffton indiana?

Use reason, thats what!
Old May 17th, 2005, 08:05 AM   #8
Major Player

haha. That's awesome! Did you use that program for the music in that one piece that you did a few months ago when you were eating pizza? hehe. I loved the music for that one.
Old May 17th, 2005, 08:10 AM   #9
Regular Crew

ah that music...

no that was from the alias soundtrack... i love it too... buy the disk, the whole thing is amazing...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...music&n=507846
Old May 17th, 2005, 08:16 AM   #10
Major Player

hehe.. just ordered it. thanks for the link. yeah, that music was incredible. I have pro tools and Acid Pro 5. That's why I was so interested in your music. You guys really did a good job in such a short time period. Bummer you're not closer to Chicago. I would love for you guys to work on my new movie. :) I have the XL2 as well.
Old May 17th, 2005, 08:17 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Adam

well, that's the cool thing about digital music, you can score it anywhere you live!

cass
Old May 17th, 2005, 08:50 AM   #12
Major Player

yes.. that's true. Hey, if you are interested, email me. I can send you the script to see if you would like to help out. currently, it's me.. and .. let's see.. me, and I think I got me to help out, and there's Joe too, hehe.

Right now, I'm doing the following.

Financing
Writing
Casting
Directing
Editing
Special Effects/titling
Scoring
Recording a few classical pieces that my friends can play on their violin (using pro tools)

I did find a DoP but I most likely wont trust him to do the lighting so I might be doing that too, haha.

ahh.. I need to learn how to delagate. heh
Old May 17th, 2005, 10:08 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Compositing

One thing i did in After Effects with this video was composite 2 of my own bodies in with the same shot... if you look closely, you can see my environment being affected by daylight differently than the background shot that was filmed 2 minutes before that. Daylight is terrible when trying to composite, i tried my best with color correction hopefully the human mind misses that...
Old May 20th, 2005, 06:40 AM   #14
New Boot

Hey Adam, email me (lalchak@hotmail.com) if you need an inexperienced hand for holding mikes etc. Would love to get some real experience.

I am in Madison and thinking of shooting a film myself this year. I am working on the script right now. Probably will end up doing everything like you.
Lal Chakraborty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2005, 07:17 AM   #15
Major Player

Cass, did you do the composite in the video by the car scene? If so, I couldn't tell you did it there. If not, where did you do it?
Adam Rench is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders