Need Help Fast, Have a Shoot this weekend at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old May 23rd, 2005, 07:58 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Need Help Fast, Have a Shoot this weekend

I was measuring my XL2 for a Dry Box last night. I had used the camera all day, (no problems), I took the lens off and the view finder to try and arrange the parts in a more compact space. I then reassembled the camera and went to record the sunset, and the view finder would not come up. The three LED's at the bottom of the view finder light up according to the correct setting, but I get no picture in the view finder. Canon says they have never heard of this happening with the XL2, They say it will be a 3 day turn around, but only if I foot the bill for overnight delivery both ways in order to get the camera back by this weekend. Can anyone help me????????? The camera is less than 2 weeks old and B&H Photo won't take it back. Any ideas..???
Chris Fritsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2005, 09:12 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hello Chris,
Did you ever get this resolved? I heard of this happening before on this post.
But, I never seem to hear of a resolution.
Ed Bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2005, 09:21 AM   #3
Regular Crew

It just happened yesterday, you are the first to respond, Canon just wants me to send it in on my dime, overnight just so I can have it back by this weekend. No one has really helped, their answer after telling me to remove both batteries and then put them back in, is to box it up and send it back, HUGE incovienance, I have only had this camera for 12 days!!!!
Old May 23rd, 2005, 09:41 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Chris.

Does the CAMERA power up? In other words, does the light on the mode dial power up?

If so, then it sounds like a viewfinder problem. Can you rent a viewfinder locally? Can you take your camera somewhere and try a differnt viewfinder? Those two options might allow you to shoot this weekend. Otherwise, send it ALL back to canon.

A couple of us on this board had complete power failures, which were blown internal fuses. After this happened to me twice, they replaced the camera. No problems so far. But in my case, there was NO power at all to the viewfinder or the camera body. Your situation sounds different.

Good luck.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2005, 09:54 AM   #5
Wrangler

Chris,

That does sound like an odd problem, in addition to distressing. The trouble shooting that you can do is probably pretty limited. Here's about all the steps I can think of to suggest:

1. (Silly I know, but CHECK...we all do silly things sometimes) Make sure the lens cap is off, ND filter off, and aperture isn't stopped down to "closed" and see if you have an image in the viewfinder in a brightly lit situation. (Maybe best to set to an Auto mode to ensure the aperture isn't stopped down to closed).

2. If no image, carefully check for dirty contacts or bent pins in the connectors.

3. If hardware looks pristine and you have access to another XL2, see if the owner will let you swap viewfinders to see if it works (although I have to admit I wouldn't let you plug my viewfinder into your camera knowing that your viewfinder had just died for unknown reasons, but I'm selfish!)

4. If all else fails, you're stuck sending your camera back to Canon since B&H's return policy on video gear is 7 days:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...e&Q=return.jsp
Might have to rent one if the shoot this weekend is important and you aren't sure about getting your camera back by then.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2005, 09:54 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Yes it powers up, the three LED's even light up when switched from A to Manual, there is just no LCD picture..????
I capture using FCP, and when the camera is on I can view through the capture process, just not through the Viewfinder..????
Does anyone in the Atlanta area now where to rent XL2's?
Also is there suppose to be a clicking and "mechanical" noise when the camera boots up, the noise comes from the lens, ( I assume it is the servo's, but I am just asking, it is kind of loud..???
Old May 23rd, 2005, 09:59 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I checked all that, even when I turn it to VCR, I don't get the "blue" screen, that shouldn't be affected by any Fstop or Apature setting.
(And Yes the lens cap was off), a sure way to check is to open the menu, but, no success..????
Oh well, it turns out that they will foot the overnight to get it back to me by Friday, so I am only stuck paying overnight one way, not good, but it could be worst..?????
If you ever call Canon support, ask for Troy, He is the man for actually helping you, everyone else there just delt me to someone else.???
Old May 23rd, 2005, 11:21 AM   #8
Obstreperous Rex

Have you made sure that the EVF cable is firmly seated in its socket on the camera body?

You should be able to find an XL2 for rent in the Atlanta area.

Canon service splits the shipping costs with you. You get it to them on your dime, they send it back to you on their dime.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2005, 12:14 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Yeah, I unpluged and pluged several times, like I said, if it wasn't plugged in then the LED's shouldn't even light up, but thanks for asking.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 06:46 PM   #10
Trustee

Check for bent or broken pins in the connector...
Old May 23rd, 2005, 08:26 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I did that also, doesn't matter now, it was sent out this afternoon, thanks for the info though.
Old May 24th, 2005, 07:38 AM   #12
Trustee

Chris, contact Showcase Camera and Video in Atlanta they are on Chesier Bridge road. Not far off I-85. Take the Lenix treet exit, (if coming from the north) and turn left for a couple of blocks. It will be on your left next to the Tara movie theater. Their number is 404-325-7676. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2005, 05:13 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Thank you for the info on Showcase, it helped a lot. I recieved an e-mail from Canon and I should have the camera back by Friday afternoon, that is great turn around and overnighted to me on their dime. I was not thrilled about the $87 insured overnight expense there, but they are picking up the return send so I am thankful.
Old May 25th, 2005, 08:55 AM   #14
Trustee

Chris, I had the XL-1, and now have the XL-1s. How do you like the XL-2? Did you have the XL-1s or is this your first Canon? What type of shooting do you do? Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2005, 09:00 AM   #15
Regular Crew

The XL-2 is my first Camcorder. I co-steward an outdoor adventure ministry that does climbing, caving, hiking and camping. I purchased the camera to film trips and events for the youth groups as well as to do other filming work.
I have only had the camera for 12 days, so i am still learning it.
Chris Fritsche is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders