XL2 Settings Contest - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old January 12th, 2007, 10:14 AM   #46
New Boot

Well... it looks like Canon has an SDK (software developers kits) for the XL2, that's pretty much ideal. I found a post by Joan Daniel that pointed me to a registration page on the Canon site to become a developer. Says they will e-mail me back after my applicaiton has been reviewed. Then we'll see how easy it is to build little utilities for the XL2.

- Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan Daniel
To get SDK for the XL2
you need to apply as a developer in this address

Download Library
Software License Agreement

say (I mean click) I Agree, and a prompt window with A LOT to fill-in will show up.

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/con...=10875&id=4041

As a Mac User I'm still waiting HA!

Jdaniel
Todd Brassard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2007, 12:35 PM   #47
Regular Crew

Todd, it's great that you are looking into it.

The time-consuming task of exploring the permutations in settings is best automated. In the time it'd take to dial in a dozen different settings by hand, the computer could knock off a hundred if not more. After the program has run for a few hours or a few days you'd have a database of 1000's of settings. Studying how the settings evolve over this huge number of screencaps would be very useful, I think.
Roger Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2007, 01:01 PM   #48
New Boot

The very fact that Canon has an SDK means its possible to write custom software. Blue Barn must have used this kit to put together their presets utility. Now its one thing for an SDK to exist, its another for a programmer to be able to understand and work with it. If the SDK is Microsoft .Net compatible, I have have a chance of working with it. If not, then the learning curve might be to great for a causual investment of time to be enough to do anything with it. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what I have access to once Canon gets around to giving me access to the files.

I can imagine a program where all of the settings are listed and you can pick what settings are static and what settings are dynamic swinging through a range of values. Looking at the list of setting options, I'd approximate there are at least 13 * 13 * 13 * 13 * 4 * 2 * 13 * 13 * 13 * 13 * 13 * 2 * 13 * 13 * 13 * 13 * 5 = 24,230,008,527,380,240 combinations. Whoa! That's a lot possiblities.

Todd
Todd Brassard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2010, 04:41 PM   #49
New Boot

Looking for that "gritty" look

Hey, has anyone tried to translate the 'Gritty (noisy, edgy, contrasty, vivid)' recipe for the XL2 from here: Panasonic Professional Video Products - Applications: Production

I think I have all the recipes for the XL2 that have been posted, but was looking for this one specifically.
If I missed it, please point me...

Thanks
Lee
Lee Stokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2013, 03:58 PM   #50
Tourist

Re: XL2 Settings Contest

Wow there has not been any posts in here since 2010. You know what would be awesome is if you posted a small sample video of your presets. Mike
Michael Podrybau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2013, 05:59 PM   #51
Obstreperous Rex

Re: XL2 Settings Contest

Michael I'm not sure that any of these folks still have their XL's -- but you might get lucky.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders