XL2 Follow Focus Blocks Zoom Lever - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old June 16th, 2005, 03:13 PM   #16
New Boot

Thanks for the great picture Rainer. I sent it off to ZGC.com with all of the info and they are going to contact Chrosziel directly to get the larger gear for me.

I'm surprised this hasn't come up before as many others must have the 16x Manual Lens witth the Chrosziel DV Studio Follow Focus rig.

www.TheSquirtBrothers.com
Tripp Stapleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2005, 11:01 PM   #17
New Boot

Potential Buyers

Hello!

Would it probably be wise to hold off on buying the focus drive and Follow Focus Rig until the 206-15 gear becomes more readily available? I've been in the market for an XL2 and this seems like a good tool to have for more precise focusing, but wouldn't mind getting it at another point (for $$$ reasons, mainly :)) if it means maximizing its utility with the XL2.

Thanks so much for your help!
Alex Bornstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2005, 12:41 AM   #18
Major Player

It seems that ZGC, B&H and other retailers in the US have stocked quite a few FF rigs whereas the dealer I bought it from doesn't stock them. So they had to order it from Chrosziel and it came with the (probably) new 206-15 gear. As Tripp already mentioned, it is neither on their website nor in the catalogue.

Anyway, it is strange that nobody has reported this problem so far.

Rainer
Rainer Hoffmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2005, 02:00 PM   #19
New Boot

Just a little bit more info on the Chrosziel Follow Focus rig and gear and how it blocks the zoom lever on the Canon 16x Manual Lens. I've got ZGC & 16x9 Inc (16x9 seems to be a direct USA Chrosziel distributer) in the process of contacting Chrosziel to find out what the availability is for the larger diameter gear which won't block the lever. In the mean time, here was the initial respionse from 16x9:

"This is a common problem. To use the follow focus with this lens, the zoom stick must be unscrewed out. Most people do not realize that the zoom stick is removeable. It will be a bit stiff if it is the first time you are removing it as they put an antivibration non permanent thread lock fluid on it."

Old June 23rd, 2005, 05:46 PM   #20
Contributor

That's strange--I've never seen a lens whose zoom lever couldn't be unscrewed. Still, I wouldn't force it. Could it be threaded backwards?
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2005, 06:35 PM   #21
Major Player

PLIERS!

The silly zoom stick is removable.
Old June 26th, 2005, 12:06 AM   #22
New Boot

Yes, it's definitely removable, just needs a little forcing. The point is that I don't want to remove it b/c I like having a zoom lever. And, there appears a way to keep it by using the larger diameter gear. However, for those who are ok with removing the lever, see above suggestion: pliers.

Old June 26th, 2005, 03:11 PM   #23
Major Player

I think you'll find that having an electronic means of zooming will give you a smoother, more fluid zoom. I will sometimes switch off the electric zoom and use it manually to quickly get a focal length, but I prefer to use an electronic means of zooming during an actual shot.

On the XL2, you can vary the zoom speed over a pretty good range of speeds. Unless I'm going for a snap zoom, or something funky, I'm using the built in zoom.
Old June 29th, 2005, 11:55 PM   #24
New Boot

Good point Mark for the auto lenses. But my issue is with the 16x Manual lens which is manual zoom as well as focus. So I'd prefer to keep the lever if I have to touch the lens.

Old June 30th, 2005, 06:22 AM   #25
Wrangler

Tripp,

The 16x manual lens is both servo and manual zoom. The focus is manual only. When you place the 16x in servo mode (selector on lower left side of lens), it works just like the auto lens, even via lanc control.

That selector, by the way, is just a mechanical engage/disengage of the zoom motor.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2005, 10:12 AM   #26
New Boot

Greg, you couldn't be more right. I thought I might have missed something after my post b/c I went and looked at hte lens and the 16x does have what looks like a a big servo box on the side. But I didn't look underneath for the switch. I stand corrected, with servo control, the lever is basically unnecessary.

Tripp Stapleton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders