Traveling with multiple cameras at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old June 14th, 2005, 03:13 PM   #1
Major Player

Traveling with multiple cameras

I've followed most of the threads on travelling with a XL2 and a GL2 but have a slightly different problem. I just got my XL2 and I also got a Pelican 1510 case. Like others have noted, it fits - barely. So, that will work. I also have a Lowepro Computrekker bag for my GL2. The problem is that I have to start out my flights on a small commuter airline and the computrekker won't fit in the overhead bin or under the seat and I won't gate check it. So far, there has been a spare seat they were willing to seat belt it into (the reason I went with the Pelican 1510).

Now I'm looking at taking an extended work/pleasure trip to Peru. So, I need to haul the XL2, GL2, GL1, accessories, lenses and a D20 still camera with lenses plus 2 tripods with me. I'll check the tripods but am trying to figure out how to safely get the rest of the equipment into two carry-on bags. I'm meeting the crew in Peru so there won't be anyone else to schlep a carry-on bag full of photo gear. Or is this a case of biting the bullet, taking a chance and checking some of the camera gear (the GL1 is for back-up)?

Finally, is there a concensus yet on which backpack works best for the XL2. I'll need a way to haul it into the field once I am in Peru.

Thanks.
Jeff Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2005, 04:05 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Just a notice if you decide to check in your GL1 or any other electronic equipment:

Remember to inform the airline that your checked in luggage contain electronic equipment! If not, there is a chance that it will be removed for a manual control. If it does, then it will be delayed, and will probably not reach the same flight as you.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2005, 09:50 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Jeff, the "official" rules or travel are 1 carry-on per traveller (that will fit in the overhead bin) and one item (like a laptop) that will fit under the seat in front of you.
The overheads range from 20-23" deep, by about 14-16" high, depending on the aircraft. I regularly see many travellers successfully sneak on two items that will fit into the overheads, with the second piece of luggage not overly big and eyecatching. (It's gotta look like it might fit under the seat, which is only about 6-8" tall, 18" deep and 12-14" wide)
In order to do that you've gotta make sure you board the airplane early (most airlines seat from back to front, so if you get a seat towards the back and wait near the check in station, you will usually sit early...) and then make sure as you are going down the aisle towards your seat you don't get too greedy in getting an overhead above your seat. They are not always available.

Generally speaking, any overhead will do, whether it's over row 10 in the front, or row 30 in the back.

Summer travel is always the worst and most crowded, so it's a bit of a crap shoot...biggest thing is get on early, and don't be too obvious about the extra piece of luggage.
(Of course, you could just send the GL2 thru the luggage, pack it well, and insure the heck out of it, then don't worry about it.)
Bill Zens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2005, 07:17 PM   #4

How about Int'l FedEx with long shackle padlocks on your Pelican case? Master lock makes them, I think, but the hardware store might have to special order them. They can be ordered keyed alike. I would hate to see the bill - a couple hundred. I don't know about customs and if it would be delayed by them. Let us know how it worked out for you.
Old June 17th, 2005, 12:16 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Nowadays, you've got to be very careful about aggressively locking your baggage and then checking it on the plane. Homeland security opens and manually checks a large percentage of luggage, and HD locks would absolutely alert them, and the bolt cutters would then come out. I think you could walk it into the inspection area, hand them the keys, let them look at it, then relock it, but I'm not sure.
The real problem with airlines is not theft (which certainly can happen) but lost luggage (which always happens...)
Bill Zens is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders