Line Level to XLR inputs at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old June 21st, 2005, 04:12 PM   #1
Tourist

Line Level to XLR inputs

I have an XL2 and a Sony FP24 Field mixer. I am having some problems when I put the line level input into the XLR input on the back of the camera.
1. When I send a tone to the camera, it sounds fine and I am able to set the levels
2. When I use my microphone signal it sounds distorted.

I have tested the microphone/FP24 signal on a line level input on my speakers and it sounds great. I also tried sending the line level output into the RCA jacks on the side of my XL2 and it sounds great.

Why can't I use the XL2's XLR jacks for a line level input?
Is there a mic level/line level switch some where that I am missing like on many cameras?

Joe Dockery
Mount Si High School
Snoqualmie, Washington
Joe Dockery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2005, 04:27 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

This is an old question that I suppose I need to put into the FAQ.

The XLR jacks on the XL2 are mic-level only. Many people, myself included, feel that this is a serious oversight on behalf of Canon. Your most convenient recourse is to route the incoming line-level audio to the RCA audio input jacks on the XL2, as they alone are line-level. Your other alternative is to impose a third-party impedence changer in between the camcorder's XLR jacks and your incoming audio signal.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2005, 07:03 AM   #3
Tourist

Thank You

Chris,
Thank you for taking the time to respond.
Luckily I have a couple XLR to RCA adapters.

Joe
Joe Dockery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2005, 07:20 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
This is an old question that I suppose I need to put into the FAQ.

The XLR jacks on the XL2 are mic-level only. Many people, myself included, feel that this is a serious oversight on behalf of Canon. Your most convenient recourse is to route the incoming line-level audio to the RCA audio input jacks on the XL2, as they alone are line-level. Your other alternative is to impose a third-party impedence changer in between the camcorder's XLR jacks and your incoming audio signal.
Why? Does that mixer not output a choice of line or mic level?
Tim Durham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2005, 08:45 PM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

If your incoming audio source offers a choice, then you're in business... choose mic-level and you're good to go. If your source is line-level only, then you'll have to use one of the workarounds I've described above.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2005, 09:11 PM   #6
Tourist

Pad for line input

Chris,
I have the DVD tutorial about the XL2 and he says that he thinks you need a 50 pad for line in. Here is my dilema, I am going to video a crusade in Brazil in August. There is a good chance that they might be able to give me a line in from the mixer. I think I might be better off with a line in that a shotgun mic. I have no idea where I will be able to set up.I just want to be ready. I visited the B&H site and found only one inline attenuator from Shure that is adjustable, but it is adjustable from 10,15, and 25. Do I need to look else where or can I use this with that attenuator on the camera?

Thanks in advance
Dwayne
Dwayne R Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2005, 09:19 AM   #7
Inner Circle

How about this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

Make sure it doesn't unbalance the signal though. That would suck.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2005, 05:13 PM   #8
Major Player

Marco,

Just re-read this post today and found your link isn't active at B&H any longer. Do you remember what it was you were pointing to as the solution?

Also, if the XL2 requires a 50dB pad to bring Line-In down to Mic-In levels required for the XL2 aft XLR connections, can you just add two 25dB attenuators in line? Does that equal one 50dB attenuator?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders