Time Code Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old July 2nd, 2005, 12:38 PM   #1
Major Player

Time Code Question

I'm a little confused about the time code settings. In the manual it says to use drop frame, 29.97 for the actual running time and then when you're editing use non-drop. If I'm shooting at 30fps, why wouldn't I stick with the non-drop for the shoot and for post? please forgive my ignorance on this, but I must make sure I do it correctly from the start. I know that 29.97 is the actual frame rate for NTSC, so I assume that is why I need to select the drop frame time code in the Canon menu.

Thanks for any assistance with this!

Lucinda
Lucinda Luvaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2005, 02:19 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

For a good link, see http://www.editorsguild.com/newslett...6/tipdrop.html

As you have suspected, it's really better to stick with DF especially if you're creating programs over 15min. in running time.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2005, 03:26 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Of course the reason for drop-frame is so the displayed timecode tracks close to the actual program running time. If you're not concerned about fitting the program into an exact time frame target such as broadcast progamming must do, it really doesn't matter whether you use drop or non-drop as long as you're consistent. Drop or non-drop doesn't change anything about the video stream, just the numbers displayed above the frames in the timeline. With non-drop those numbers won't represent accurate running times as measured by a stopwatch but unless you're a broadcaster, who cares? For most uses it doesn't matter if a "1-hour video" actually turns out to be 00:58:45 or 01:03:37 in length
Steve House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2005, 03:29 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks Chris,

As always, I appreciate your timely help! I have downloaded the info and am reading it now. I've used both drop and non-drop and my films are from 3 minutes to one hour.

In the article it says that you can shoot at 24p and then make a 30p timeline. Will the quality be altered as a result of having fewer frames? I ask because someone on the forum said that if you do the above, when you go to exporting the film, it will look lousey. I have a friend here who told me I could shoot at 24p and then make a 30p timeline. I'm only doing this as a stop gap measure until I can get Final Cut Pro.....

What do you think? would it be ok to shoot in 24p and then make a 30p timeline?

Thanks for your help Chris!

Lucinda
Lucinda Luvaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2005, 03:31 PM   #5
Major Player

Thank you Steve! yes, actual running time is important to me, so I'll go with the drop frame. It's just that in the manual it says to use the drop frame to shoot and non-drop for post. I find that a bit confusing. Probably because it's so hot here and my brain isn't working as well as it should...not until late in the afternoon, that's for sure!

Lucinda
Lucinda Luvaas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders