Chrosziel or Century Optics Matte Box for XL2? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old July 8th, 2005, 06:24 AM   #1

Chrosziel or Century Optics Matte Box for XL2?

Looking to get a matte box for my XL2. I've looked around the forum and would like to know if any of you had opinions over which one works best with the XL2? I'm a little bit partial to the Century Optics right now, just because I think I will be using Schneider Filters and I like the idea of keeping the filters and matte box within the same brand. But should that even be a factor?

Just looking for your opinions on which ones you like and why?

Last edited by Guest; July 8th, 2005 at 06:49 AM.
Old July 8th, 2005, 07:01 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

It really isn't a question of which one "works best" with the XL2. The Chrosziel is a bit larger, a little more fully featured, comes from an expensive lineage, and is at the high end of the scale. The Century is just fine, not cheap by any means, a little smaller and not quite so pricey. Either one is a good choice for the XL2.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2005, 07:29 AM   #3

If adding a follow focus set-up in the future?

Thanks for the quick info Chris.

Would the Chrosziel be the better option if wanted to add a follow-focus set-up in the near (to distant) future? I was on 16x9inc.com's web site and noticed the different kits you could get.

The second kit (411-50-XLK2) included a lightweight support system:

• 4x4 DV Sunshade [clamp-on system]
• French Flag [402-26]
• 4x4 Fixed filter holder [402-04]
• 4x4 Rotating filter holder [402-04]
• 104:85mm Step-down ring [411-23]
• 85:72mm screw-in step-down ring [S1001-8572]
• 104mm Clamp adapter
• Center Bracket [420-02]
• Lightweight support [401-43]

LIST PRICE: $ 2138
PROMO PRICE: $ 1495

The third kit (411-50-XLK3) was the same as above but offered the addition of:

• DV studio rig/follow focus [206-01S]
• Focus gear drive for use with Canon manual lens only [206-10]

LIST PRICE: $ 3838
PROMO PRICE: $ 3090

So I would guess that you could buy the second kit now and when you are ready to add follow focus, you could aquire the other two components down the road?

Hat's off to 16x9inc for having such an informative web site with pricing.
Old July 8th, 2005, 12:00 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I have wondered for the longest time just what the heck they do in making matteboxes that makes them more expensive than the lens they're attaching to? It's not as if they had any critical optical parts that had to be shaped to Angstrom unit precision. 4 black metal vanes or a square bellows, a frame with hinges to mount them and a couple of channels for filters, and a couple of threaded rings shouldn't cost all THAT much to manufacture. Several hundred dollars makes sense - several thousand just seems ... excessive LOL. Are they made out of pure titanium and hand crafted by blind virgins working under a Druid's tree and only can be assmebled when bathed in the light of the new moon? I know, I know, its the only game in town and you pay what you have to for quality tools so I'll bite the same bullet as everyone else when the time comes for a new one. But I think the manufacturers must be giggling with glee every time one of us parts with our cash.
Steve House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2005, 12:10 PM   #5
Regular Crew

i've been checking them out for a while, as well as convincing myself it's worth it to shade from sun and trick actors and crew into thinking i'm proffessional. The century optics states that it works for all the XL lenses. The Chozziel doesn't advertise or state it but i think some dude on this board talked to somebody from 16x9inc. and they said it does. i think the chozziel looks nicer but it's still another 500 bucks more than CO. so what's up with that promo price any ways? is that just buying everything together?

i'd like to see pictures of the second kit with the 20x and 3x.

anybody know how much of a pain in the ass it is to change lenses with a mattebox?
Robert Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2005, 12:27 PM   #6

Aesthetics...

Definitely the Chrosziel is better looking. Unfortunate that it matters... but it does.
Old July 8th, 2005, 01:48 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Don't forget Cavision.

http://www.cavision.com/Mattbox/4x4E.htm
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2005, 02:05 PM   #8

Cavision

thanks Marco!
Old July 13th, 2005, 11:16 PM   #9
Major Player

i totally agree with steve, from a practical stand point it is very easy to make your own mattebox to whatever specs you want for about $100 i'd save the money and buy a panavision t-shirt instead if you want to look like a pro :)

-Jon
Jon Bickford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2005, 05:47 AM   #10

Totally disagree with your T-shirt opinion... a Panavision cap would be the professional way to go.
Old July 14th, 2005, 07:38 AM   #11
Major Player

ah, sounds quite amateurish to me. An ARRI Cap and T-shirt, that is professional.

Rainer
Rainer Hoffmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2005, 07:47 AM   #12

The downside to that - the client just thinks your an old school video game fan (ATARI)...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders