Film look preset at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old April 5th, 2010, 09:39 AM   #1
Tourist

Film look preset

I've been looking on these forums as well as other websites and I have found preset managers but only for PC and not Mac. I'm looking for a good traditional "film look" preset. If anyone could help I would really appreciate it. Sorry if there is a similar thread around here. I searched, but could not find one. Thanks.
Alex Smoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2010, 10:44 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I don't think there is a preset manager for Mac, actually, at least not one that I've ever found.

What are you after, concerning your 'film look' specifically? Deeper color, more depth of field, crushed blacks, or?
Matt Cikovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2010, 11:00 AM   #3
Tourist

I don't the specific terms but I don't like unnatural colors. I remember one preset a while back had a red that looked way too artificial. As far as black goes, I like the blacks strong and shadows definite. The more classic/traditional the look the better. Once again, I don't know the specific settings, I'm just looking for a preset to start with and edit the settings from there.
Old April 5th, 2010, 11:01 AM   #4
Tourist

Yes, I am looking for more depth of field. What does "crushed blacks" mean?
Old April 5th, 2010, 11:19 AM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

Depth of field is controlled by the lens. Custom presets won't affect it. And are you sure you're looking for *more* depth of field? Most people complain that these small-sensor camcorders have too much depth of field and they're usually looking for a way to get less, that is, they want shallow depth of field with a narrow plane of focus, which is the opposite of what you're saying.

"Crushed blacks" refers to loss of detail in dark areas of the image; where very dark grey or anything nearly black is rendered as black.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2010, 11:33 AM   #6
Tourist

Yes, I believe I'm looking for crushed blacks. And I'm not concerned with DOF at the moment. Just looking for some preset settings to start with. I had a decent one a while back but lost it.
Alex Smoot is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders