XL2 owners club (BS) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old July 17th, 2005, 06:27 PM   #1
New Boot

XL2 owners club (BS)

Anyone know how to get to the owners club? I have registered and attempted to down load the “free” software, but to no avail. The only way I have found to get back to the software down load is to register again. This whole thing seems like a bad joke by Canon. I am VERY displeased with them at this point. And no, Canon has not responded to me, and no , I am not talking about the SDK software. :-(

Only the dead should be allowed not to think for themselves! :-)
Michael Von Ditter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2005, 06:59 PM   #2
Major Player

Michael,

I went through exactly the same thing. Read here on where to get the software. Canon's USA website that serves the DV-PC software is hoarked up. I fussed at them about it a few months ago, evidently they blew it off and now you're having the same problem.
Old July 17th, 2005, 09:58 PM   #3
Regular Crew

http://www.canon.ca/dv-pc_recorder/
Brent Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2005, 06:16 PM   #4
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Ray
Thanks for the input......unfotunately that doesn't work either.

Old July 18th, 2005, 06:58 PM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

Works just fine for me. Try it again, maybe?

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2005, 10:20 PM   #6
Wrangler

Worked okay for me too. You do have to answer the questions before proceeding to the download page. Then you must select English or Francais. I selected English and was taken to a page with a link to the PDF manual and the actual software link below it.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2005, 05:09 AM   #7
Major Player

Greg, You didn't go quite far enough to get the failure he (and I) experience.

On the US page I answered the questions and made it to the download page, then successfully downloaded the manual, but the program would not download. The PDF document would download no problem, the actual program would not. Tried about six times several months ago with no luck; tried again this morning, same result. The download window for the program opens and immediately closes.

I finally downloaded on the first try from the European site.
Old July 19th, 2005, 07:51 AM   #8
Wrangler

Yeah, I emailed Canon USA a couple months ago to very directly tell them that IMO their poorly supported web presence is hurting them badly. No question in my mind the video portion of their web site is costing them more sales than it is gaining.

Even if the actual merchandise is great stuff, prospective customers hesitate to trust a big company that can't even get its web site (including the "Owner's Club" if there really is such a thing!) right. So far, all complaints seem to have not impressed corporate management enough to spur any apparent improvements. Hope that changes soon.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2005, 10:33 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick King

On the US page I answered the questions and made it to the download page, then successfully downloaded the manual, but the program would not download. The PDF document would download no problem, the actual program would not. Tried about six times several months ago with no luck; tried again this morning, same result. The download window for the program opens and immediately closes.

Since you already got it, this is academic. You probably had some weird browser glitch. Unless Javascript is interfering, it's usually best to R-click the link and choose "save target as..." .
Old July 19th, 2005, 11:55 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Joyce
Since you already got it, this is academic. You probably had some weird browser glitch. Unless Javascript is interfering, it's usually best to R-click the link and choose "save target as..." .
Andy,
Thanks for trying to help but I tried right-click to "Save target as", I tried it with IE and Firefox, I tried it with Canon's solution of "turn off all firewalls and virus-protection", and I tried it these ways from two computers at two different locations. I tried it with Green Eggs and Ham. Canon's website is just in the can. I'm not a computer programmer, but I'm definately a 'power-user' and if I couldn't get it to download, then as Doctor Michael Hfuhruhurr said in The Man with Two Brains: "Damn, this test is too hard!"
Old July 19th, 2005, 12:13 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I just think it's funny that we have to go to Canada or Europe to get a free program that is advertised in the packaging of the XL2 box!

Don't get me started on the SDK...

I like a lot of their products, but Canon is really retarded when it comes to general marketing and advertising. I've seen Apple do a better job during their worst period. Maybe Michael Spindler is working for Canon!
Old July 19th, 2005, 12:21 PM   #12
Major Player

Andy,

I'm in agreement with you on Canon marketing. You need to change your tag line to:

XL2: power to go, quality to impress, marketing to cripple

How can they build such a wonderful piece of gear and then have such a poor web presence?
Old July 19th, 2005, 08:48 PM   #13
New Boot

Quote:

That's what I get.

Old July 19th, 2005, 08:54 PM   #14
New Boot

Quote:
Andy,
Thanks for trying to help but I tried right-click to "Save target as", I tried it with IE and Firefox, I tried it with Canon's solution of "turn off all firewalls and virus-protection", and I tried it these ways from two computers at two different locations. I tried it with Green Eggs and Ham. Canon's website is just in the can. I'm not a computer programmer, but I'm definately a 'power-user' and if I couldn't get it to download, then as Doctor Michael Hfuhruhurr said in The Man with Two Brains: "Damn, this test is too hard!"
I own a software company and none of our gang has found a way around Canon's US site issues (trying to keep the boss happy). Thank God our stuff doesn't work that badly, we'd be out of business.

Old July 19th, 2005, 09:05 PM   #15
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Ray
Ok, since I can't get it off of their site, can you send it to me? "mvonditter@eims-inc.com" Thanks for the help.

Michael Von Ditter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders