Latest XL2 project at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old May 24th, 2010, 10:15 PM   #1
Major Player

Latest XL2 project

Just got through uploading the Station PBJ Productions entry in the Dallas 24-Hour Video Race from last weekend. The assigned theme this year was "acceptance." The required prop was a cell phone, the line of dialog was "is this all there is?", and the required location was the exterior of a fast-food restaurant.

We competed in Guerrilla Class, limited to a crew size of 3-5 people. Shooting was done with the XL2 in 16:9, 30P, using a mix of lenses from the stock 20x zoom, 3x wide angle, and assorted Nikon primes. We went SD instead of HD for a couple of reasons. No one on the team besides myself has used a digital audio recorder, so we went with the XL2 audio to keep things simple. Edit and render times are faster in SD.

vimeo link:

This is the third year Station PBJ Productions has raced, and this year we had all experienced racers. The race runs from midnight Friday to midnight Saturday. We had the script done by 2 AM, started shooting the night scenes at 3 AM and done by 5 AM, returned to the house to capture and grab a short nap, then adjourned to the park for the final scenes at 8 AM. We moved to the hotel room around 10 AM, smuggled the rifle to the room in a tripod case, got those shots (no pun intended), and wrapped principle photography by noon. After lunch, we were in edit by 1 PM. Editing and scoring was done by 8 PM, and we turned in the finished H.264 file around 10:15.

Unfortunately, we didn't make the first round cut. Apparently, the judges found it a bit too dark (subject-wise), and we lost out to a vampire gig and a mugging at a Whataburger. Had a great time doing it, however.

Regards;
Martin
Old May 25th, 2010, 09:23 PM   #2
Major Player

I liked it. Can't believe you didn't make the first cut.

The only problem was hearing the phone voice at the end - I couldn't, so I don't really know what the (presumably ironic) ending was.
Jack Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2010, 12:08 AM   #3
Major Player

Something appears to have happened to the audio in the vimeo conversion (I think). It played fine in the theater, and when I play the H.264 source file. When I get a chance (and a little more bandwidth on vimeo), I'll delete that version and upload a new one with a little more punch to the audio at the end.

Martin
Old May 27th, 2010, 06:28 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Until that time, could you tell us what the dialogue was?!? PLEASE?! ;-)
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2010, 03:54 PM   #5
Major Player

Sniper: "You didn't tell me it was going to be her."

Courier: "Do you have a problem with that?"

Sniper: "No, I guess not."

Courier " Then welcome to the family."

Martin
Old May 28th, 2010, 04:06 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Aha! On a par with the last episodes of Lost!

Thanks Martin!
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2010, 05:44 PM   #7
Major Player

Okay, I've deleted the previous version, and a new one with better sound equalizing is uploading even as I post. Give it about three hours to upload and maybe an hour to convert, and I'll drop the new link here.

Martin
Old May 28th, 2010, 11:47 PM   #8
Major Player

Okay, here's the revised audio version:

Hope it sounds better.

Martin

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders