Rating the ISO of the Canon XL2 for Light Meter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old July 18th, 2005, 08:18 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Rating the ISO of the Canon XL2 for Light Meter

Hi, I'm currently at the Workshops in Maine, and am trying to rate the ISO of an XL2. As with most cameras, you could take an auto iris reading on a 18% grey card to find out what the camera sees in comparison with your light meter. The problem I'm finding with the XL2 is that because of the electronic iris, I cannot get an accurate F-stop that is repeatable. I'm in Manual mode, no ND, 0db gain, no Custom Settings. It seems to me that there is a little gain control by the camera, even in manual mode, to compensate and give a better exposure. For example, on one reading I could get the lens open to 2.2, but on the second try, it would only open up to 2.4 - 2.2 was not available...

Anyone have any ideas? I'm getting stuck here, and the XL2 is starting to get a bad name here as far as not being able to have an accurate, consistant f-stop.

Thanks as always in advance!
Bob Stovall
Bob Stovall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2005, 09:23 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Assuming you're using the stock 20x lens, it's important to note that different focal lengths affect the maximum available aperture on the XL2. Are you shooting this test by zooming out to full wide? Or are you at some other focal length? Different focal lengths will yield different max. ap. values.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2005, 05:32 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Chris,

You do have a point there... I may have very well changed focal lengths, so that would explain the change in aperture, but how would you explain how to get an automatic reading in manual mode? I'm just lining up the aperture with the triangle in the middle so I'm centered on the exposure meter in the camera... Is that how you would do it?

Thanks for your input!
Bob
Bob Stovall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2005, 08:45 AM   #4
Booth Monkey

If you are shooting 24p then the ISO is 400 at 1/48 shutter

steve
Stephen Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 12:33 PM   #5
New Boot

Can anyone further explain the process for gauging ISO for an XL2?

Perhaps 30p at 1/60th?
Old January 27th, 2011, 03:27 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Old thread dragged out again!

Sorry to drag up such an ancient thread.

I was wondering if anyone is aware of the equivalent ISO rating for a PAL XL2 shooting 50i assuming zero gain at 1/50 shutter.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Ian Stark is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders