2 mics at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old July 28th, 2005, 05:52 PM   #1
New Boot

2 mics

Hi,
I just recently bought two wireless lav mics, but have no experience whatsoever with microphones, so I apologize if these are really basic questions. I basically want to record with the two wireless lavs, without using the mic that comes with the XL2. I know I can attach one of the tuners with the shoe mount and plug it in to the front mic terminal (right?), but in order to attach the second, would I need to buy the MA-300 adapter and plug it into the back (and if so, would it be best to just plug both into the back?)? If this is the case, is there any good way to attach the second tuner to the camera, or would I just need to hold it?

My second question is, to use the two wireless lavs, would I record on 16bit? I wouldn't need channels 3 and 4, would I?

Any help would be appreciated. I guess I'm basically just asking what the simplest set-up to use would be. Please bear in mind that I have no experience with this and am very new to the XL2. Thanks a lot.
Joe Kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2005, 06:55 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Joe,
What kind of wireless mics are they? Some of the answers will depend on that, but in general, if you only need to record two channels, one for each mic, you want to connect the outputs to the rear XLR inputs of the XL2, one in channel one and the other into channel two. Record 16 bit. There is a a switch on the audio section behind the flip out door which allows you to choose the input source for channels 1 and 2 when in 16 bit mode. Just flip the input select switch down to "rear" and the channel switch down to "1 and 2." Depending upon your receivers, you should be able to set the optimum level at the wireless receiver with the XL2 channel volumes at about 11 o'clock for the best S/N. There is an attenuator switch at the back of the camera for each inpout as well as phantom power. You shouldn't need either (depending upon the mics of course). There is a black metal bracket that comes with teh XL2 that mounts via three screws to the rear of the camera. You can mount your wireless receivers to it with velcro etc... It's actually pretty handy.

regards,
Matt
Old July 28th, 2005, 08:19 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks a lot for your help, Matt. You've made things way easier for me. I'm using Sony UWP-C1's; should this be a problem?
Joe Kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2005, 02:42 PM   #4
Major Player

Those should work great - You can mount one on the shoe and the other on the rear of the camera. Let us know how they sound. they look like they could be pretty good mics.

Matt

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders