Paranoia at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old July 30th, 2005, 12:07 PM   #1
Major Player

Paranoia

Hi All,

Please forgive this question.....it's just that I had to replace my original XL2 which I was very attached to...due to a faulty lens flaw which I wrote about on this forum.

The new replacement has a perfect lens, yea! everything seems tip top at this point having tested everything, but when I put in a tape, the mechanism that goes up and down is a bit noisier than the XL2 that I returned.

This may seem totally paranoid to some of you...but I do feel a bit vulnerable and wonder if this slightly noisier mechanism is ok?

I should add that it works just fine, the above, it just doesn't have that satisfying smooth sound that the first one did.

I'm really into sound....

Any specs on this would be much appreciated!

I don't want to be paranoid about my replacement.
Lucinda Luvaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2005, 09:34 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

I guess the ideal situation for you would have been to keep the first body and replace only the lens. It's probably nothing to worry about though. To quote Ray Davies, "Paranoia will destroy ya."

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2005, 11:00 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucinda Luvaas
Hi All,

Please forgive this question.....it's just that I had to replace my original XL2 which I was very attached to...due to a faulty lens flaw which I wrote about on this forum.

The new replacement has a perfect lens, yea! everything seems tip top at this point having tested everything, but when I put in a tape, the mechanism that goes up and down is a bit noisier than the XL2 that I returned.

This may seem totally paranoid to some of you...but I do feel a bit vulnerable and wonder if this slightly noisier mechanism is ok?

I should add that it works just fine, the above, it just doesn't have that satisfying smooth sound that the first one did.

I'm really into sound....

Any specs on this would be much appreciated!

I don't want to be paranoid about my replacement.

Dear Lucinda,

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "the mechanism that goes up and down"? It may help in evaluating your concerns.

Regards,

Steph
Stephanie Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2005, 08:14 AM   #4
Major Player

My XL2 makes quite a bit of noise upon opening and closing and loading tapes. However, it has worked this way since day one and has never been anything but flawless. It has also been dropped a few times and manages to keep chugging. I think it's quite a robust camnera, all thigns considered.
Matthew Nayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2005, 12:04 PM   #5
Major Player

I second the loud noise. With the tape compartment open, you can really hear the whir of the motors that it takes for the tape mechanism to bring the tape into place. I don't think you have a defective one...as long as it's working fine.

Kevin
Kevin Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2005, 01:25 PM   #6
Major Player

Hi All,

Thanks so much!!!! I went filming this morning, put the tape in the compartment and it certainly works fine, but just sounds a little....noisy, just a bit and perhaps that will go away.

I do appreciate your imput and hearing that a couple of you have noisy....Stephanie, I'd have to go up and look in the manual for the name of the cassette compartment, etc., sorry to be lazy....it's just to damn hot here!!! anyway: Chris, I will really try not to be too paranoid..... I know it is very bad indeed. By the way, Canon couldn't replace just the lens, they are backordered on the 20x lens, so they replaced the whole thing.

Onward and upward!

Thanks so much again!

This forum is the very best!
Lucinda Luvaas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders