Getting noisy pictures from XL2 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old August 9th, 2005, 06:00 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makonnen Woldeab
Hi, Ash,

Yes, I am trying to match both cameras (XL1 and XL2), but I find the XL1 more saturated than the XL2.

Mak.
Makonnen,
You'll find a thread here in this XL2 Watchdog forum about the fact that the XL1 colors are more saturated because the default setting makes them 'poppy' even though if you put them on a scope you'll find they are not broadcast legal. It appears that Canon listened to users complain about having to color correct to be broadcast legal and made the default for the XL2 colors closer to broadcast legal, which all users now see as 'flatter' than the default 'poppy' colors of the XL1.
Old August 9th, 2005, 09:08 PM   #17
Trustee

Boost the saturation 2 notches on the XL2... you also will want to make the knee "high" and the black "press"...

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2005, 05:11 AM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Greyson
Boost the saturation 2 notches on the XL2... you also will want to make the knee "high" and the black "press"...ash =o)
And then be prepared to correct in post if you want to go to broadcast, right Ash?
Old August 10th, 2005, 04:09 PM   #19
Trustee

You might have to add a broadcast safe filter in post. The XL2 does a decent job of "gating" colors even when you boost the saturation. The entire idea of broadcast legal is that you supply a tape, that is then dubbed, sometimes 5 or 6 generations deep on 3/4" tape. Colors that always looked fine in DV world will look like blown out crap. That is the main reason local commercials have that "look" '

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2005, 05:17 PM   #20
New Boot

Hi, Patrick and Ash,
I've tried to match my shots by boosting the XL2 saturation. I am having similar shots with the XL1. I am using my XL1 only for master shots, while I use my XL2 for medium, extreme and other shots. You see I am "a one man studio",ie, director of photography, cameraman, in charge of light and sound, editor, graphics, effects and so on. I am trying a double camera setup to, at least, save time.

Mak
Makonnen Woldeab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2005, 05:30 PM   #21
Major Player

Ash,

You mentioned in a thread somewhere the technique you've used to 'match' an XL2 to an XL1s or XL1. I failed to write it down. I know I'm not recalling all of it but it included boosting the XL2 default Color Gain preset to +2 and something else. Another senior moment!

Ash, could you maybe give us a XL2 Setup for XL1 matching so we could load it as a preset?

I've turned into a real preset beggar here, but hopefully others are benefiting from my shameless setup supplications.

Preset Panhandler Patrick

(Do we get extra credit for alliteration?)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders