DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   XL2 Feature Tour Video (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/48803-xl2-feature-tour-video.html)

Curtis Rhoads August 5th, 2005 10:09 PM

Thanks for pointing out where to find it...

Nice video. Makes me want to definately buy an XL2 now. Thanks!

Eric Brown August 6th, 2005 03:56 PM

Am I missing something, guys? I don't see a link for this anywhere on the page.

Eric Brown August 6th, 2005 04:00 PM

Never mind. Helps to read through the entire thread, eh?

Josh Mellicker August 6th, 2005 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curtis Rhoads
Either I'm blind, tired, or the link has been removed... Guess that's what I get for spending more time at the hospital with my wife, than on the computer! :) Joking, joking....

I'd love to take a look at this vid if possible....

Or... we've been updating our website, and we accidentally replaced our homepage :(

Woops! SORRY, another snafu... Sorry for your inconvenience again :(

It's back on the home page...

Lauren Brazil August 12th, 2005 12:10 AM

So frustrating!

I got my XL2 a few months ago, and I'm just scratching the surface of its abilities. Then I see this thread about a feature tour, and I can't get it to stream! I downloaded Quicktime 7 on both my computers and the video caches ok, but once it starts playing it's studdering and blanking out.

Oh, how I wish I didn't have a crappy computer! (See what happens when you spend all your money on a kickass camera??) Anyway, I was wondering if there was any way I could download this tour instead of streaming it. After reading the rave reviews, it's driving me crazy that I can't watch it! Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Javier Urena August 12th, 2005 01:43 AM

I thought it was funny how the skin detail feature didn't really do anything. Also, when discussing the myterious coring, you had a shot of the black screen menu instead of the girls. We can't see what effect turning the coring up and down has on the image.

Jay Gladwell August 12th, 2005 06:47 AM

Josh, excellent job! Beautifully done. You show the camera in its true light. I had no problem streaming the video. It fired right up and ran smoothly for the most part. Toward the end it did seem to studder a few times.

One thing I wasn't clear on... is this part of the DV Enlightenment DVD?

Jay

Chris Hurd August 12th, 2005 07:28 AM

It's not part of the Enlightenment DVD (which I have by the way; very well done), which Josh produced before he did this project. I believe Josh said that the XL2 feature tour would be separately available through either DV Creators or from Canon.

Mark Williams August 12th, 2005 10:37 AM

Excellent overview of the XL2. Well done!

Regards,

Mark

Josh Mellicker August 12th, 2005 01:11 PM

Thanks for all your comments and compliments. The XL2 Feature Tour is not part of DV Enlightenment (but there is a short promo piece for DV Enlightenment at the end of the XL2 video).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lauren Brazil
Anyway, I was wondering if there was any way I could download this tour instead of streaming it. After reading the rave reviews, it's driving me crazy that I can't watch it! Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

If you just wait a bit, it will be fully downloaded and you can watch it from the top.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Javier Urena
I thought it was funny how the skin detail feature didn't really do anything. Also, when discussing the myterious coring, you had a shot of the black screen menu instead of the girls. We can't see what effect turning the coring up and down has on the image.

On the DVD you will see the skin detail effect (as well as many other things like 60i vs 30p which is no difference on the web movie). We could not really get the coring top make a visible difference... have any of you? If so, what was the content?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
I believe Josh said that the XL2 feature tour would be separately available through either DV Creators or from Canon.

The DVDs are being replicated now.

Patrick King August 12th, 2005 06:27 PM

Josh,

I'm sure you've downloaded the Blue Barn Pictures XL2 Presets Manager by now.

Any chance we can talk you into working up some of the Custom Preset configurations discussed and/or used in the XL2 Tour video and sharing them with us?

Chris Hurd August 12th, 2005 06:32 PM

Uh-oh, in all the years I've known Josh, I don't believe he's ever actually seen a PC in real life... he's a Mac guy through and through. But wait, he runs Edition Planet, which supports Pinnacle software, so maybe he has touched a PC once or twice. Hmm.

James Emory August 12th, 2005 06:59 PM

The video didn't stream for me but did download to my temporary internet files and then I copied it to my desktop. Next, I clicked on the file and then a grey box with a red X in the top left corner appeared and the contents read the following:

Couldn't open the file "XL-2_feature_tour[1].mov" because a bad public movie atom was found in the movie.

What in the world is that?!

Anyway it just won't play. I wouldn't have downloaded it anyway because I have issues in the past with certain versions of media players but thanks for the warning about QT7.

Josh Mellicker August 12th, 2005 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick King
Josh,

I'm sure you've downloaded the Blue Barn Pictures XL2 Presets Manager by now.

Any chance we can talk you into working up some of the Custom Preset configurations discussed and/or used in the XL2 Tour video and sharing them with us?

Thanks for the tip, I have not! Will try it soon!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
Uh-oh, in all the years I've known Josh, I don't believe he's ever actually seen a PC in real life...

Lol :) ... but I built a 3.06 GHz Pentium PC, it is pimped out with bright blue cathode tubes and an acrylic window! It is screamin' fast with Premiere Pro and After Effects...

Also, apologies to all those who have trouble watching... I have been waiting for a copy of the newest Squeeze Studio to encode a version in FLV, but nothing yet... Maybe I will just throw a Windows Media or Real version up in the meantime.

Adam Bray August 12th, 2005 09:41 PM

i saw the video. great info. id like a copy of the dvd also.

ps. macs rules