XL2 Focusing delay at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old August 17th, 2005, 12:01 PM   #1
Tourist

XL2 Focusing delay

Is there a way to deal with the focusing delay on the XL2. If the camera is in AF mode
the xl2 seems to go in and out of focus during tracking shots. When I switch to manual focus there is an annoying delay between the movement of the focusing ring and the camera's response. Any suggestions on how to deal with this problem?
Jim Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2005, 12:05 PM   #2
Major Player

For cinematic looking rack focusing, you will need the 16x manual lens. The servo lens issue has been with all versions of the Canon XL series since it's inception. Not a defect, just part of the design. When tracking with the camera or dollying, stick to manual focus. Even when running and gunning in A mode with auto exposure, stay manual with your finger on the push AF button to snap a quick focus.

Last edited by Jimmy McKenzie; August 17th, 2005 at 03:17 PM.
Jimmy McKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2005, 02:36 PM   #3
Trustee

You can do it with the auto lens but it takes a LONG TIME to master. I can rack, pull anything but I have been using the XL series since the day the XL1 was released.

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2005, 05:20 AM   #4

I second what Ash said. Too, remember, the 20x lens on the XL2 can be set up to do a rack focus.

Jay
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders