Finally Ready at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old August 17th, 2005, 03:21 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Finally Ready

Hey guys im finally ready to buy the xl2 but i dont know which dealer i should go for. Its between zgc and bh photo. it is a couple hundred more dollars at zgc but i have heard that they have alot better customer service. im also purchasing the 16x lens and zgc is about $100 dollars cheaper. if anyone has any advice it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

http://www.mikeberlucchi.com
Mike Berlucchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2005, 03:25 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Both of those dealers are our sponsors so I think you're good no matter which way you go. Check to see which one actually has it in stock and can ship right away. Or get an item from each one, how about that. Congrats on your purchase,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2005, 07:43 PM   #3
Major Player

If you mean zotzdigital.com I think they're the best I've seen. The customer service is incredible and I thought it was really worth $200.00 extra to purchase from Brian Longley who is extremely knowledgable and trustworthy. When I had to exchange my XL2 he worked it out that I was without the cam for only two days which really didn't interfere with my filming much. I think he's the best.

Lucinda
Lucinda Luvaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2005, 07:52 PM   #4
Wrangler

Actually Zotz is another DVinfo sponsor in Grants Pass, Oregon:

http://www.zotzdigital.com/index.php?cid=177

ZGC is located in Mountain Lakes, New Jersey:

http://www.zgc.com/zgc.nsf

The complete DVinfo sponsor list may be found here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/sponsors/
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2005, 08:15 PM   #5
Regular Crew

i would try and look locally for such an expensive camera. if you have any problems it's easier to deal through them then calling a vendor up and shipping it back.
Robert Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2005, 07:43 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Luke
i would try and look locally for such an expensive camera. if you have any problems it's easier to deal through them then calling a vendor up and shipping it back.
+1

I picked up a XL2 yesterday and bought it local. I paid a few more dollars than the sponsors have it for, plus tax. But the place is down the street from my house, so If I have a problem I can just throw it in the car and run it over there. Plus they carry all the goodies too.
Adam Bray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2005, 07:54 AM   #7
Major Player

Adam,

That won't work for most of us. I couldn't drive three hours and find a dealer that has an XL2 in stock. So reports of reputable vendors in this forum are very important to me, and presumably others. That and your local vendor doesn't contribute anything to keeping this wonderful forum up and running. But I would be tempted to deal locally also, putting a face and name with a transaction provides some comfort.

Adam, as the proud (and I know you are!) new owner of an XL2, I highly encourage you to download the XL2 Presets Manager created by Steve Duke of Blue Barn Pictures and the presets Chris Hurd posted so you'll have them to play with while you experiment with your new cam. Then pop in to this thread and post a setup to share with others.

Mike, I've had great service from B&H. I've not dealt with ZGC, but if Chris recommends them and they are a sponsor here, I think that says alot. Talk with both, go with your gut.
Old August 18th, 2005, 07:54 AM   #8
Wrangler

Of course we like it when people buy from our sponsors since without them this site wouldn't be possible. However it's hard to argue with buying local for the reasons you describe. Happily though, B&H is less than two hours from my home :-)

Regarding the sales tax issue that you allude to, any tax savings from purchasing out of state are generally an illusion. Most states expect you to pay sales tax on all purchases, regardless of where they were made. Can they catch you? Most likely not, but as states get "hungrier" they are mining data to scrape up every last penny so you never know. For personal items you may be OK, but if you treat your work as a business and depreciate your equipment on your income tax that might make it more likely they will notice. I'm sure that tax code varies from state to state so check yours, but in New Jersey the following applies
Quote:
Whenever you purchase taxable items or services for use in New Jersey and the seller does not collect the appropriate sales tax, you are required to pay use tax to New Jersey. For example, if you purchase taxable merchandise from a mail order house and they don’t charge New Jersey sales tax, it does not mean that tax is not due; it means that the mail order house is not authorized to collect New Jersey sales tax. You, the purchaser, must pay 6% use tax directly to the Division of Taxation.

If you make a purchase in another state which has a lower sales tax rate than New Jersey, use tax is due at the rate of 6%. If, however, that state has sales tax reciprocity with New Jersey, a credit is allowed for the sales tax paid to that state.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2005, 09:32 AM   #9
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick King
I've not dealt with ZGC, but if Chris recommends them and they are a sponsor here, I think that says alot.
ZGC is one of the few dealers I'm aware of that have an employee who earned her own DV Info Net fan club. I'm speaking of course about the lovely Christine B. at ZGC. See this thread among several others:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=9570

Old August 18th, 2005, 11:34 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Hey thanks guys i think im just gonna go with zgc for both since ive heard alot of good things about them, not to say i havent heard good things about bh photo but zgc just seems more personal. thanks guys for all your help wish me luck.

http://www.mikeberlucchi.com
Mike Berlucchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2005, 06:10 PM   #11
New Boot

Of the sponsors of this site, I've purchased from both B&H and Zotzdigital. My vote is for Brian at Zotzdigital. He has gone above and beyond for me on numerous occasions...and the tax free sales really helps too.
Dave M.
Dave Merrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2005, 06:15 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Congrats on the choice Mike. I bought mine from Zotz. Really stand up guy. I am sure the others are as well. Have fun waiting.

late
jb
Old August 19th, 2005, 06:47 AM   #13
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Boeckman
Congrats on the choice Mike. I bought mine from Zotz. Really stand up guy. I am sure the others are as well. Have fun waiting.

late
jb
For what it's worth. When the XL2 was pending (meaning not out yet but orders were being taken) I had one on order from Chris B. at ZGC. There was some concern about when they were coming out and price. I was calling around and Brian quoted me $100 bucks lower than ZGC but they had like 10-12 orders already so I would be lower on the totem pole. When I mentioned ZGC and that I had one on reserve there already, he had great things to say about them and told me I should have great faith that if they'll do what they say and come through. And this is a competitor of theres! Goes to show you there are good guys in the business who really care and don't just try to always sell you on themselves by bashing others.

Kudos to both ZGC and Zotz.

On that note since I got the XL2 from ZGC I have had the greatest customer service from Christine at ZGC. I cannot say enough about how they stand behind their sales.

Peace.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2005, 06:52 AM   #14
Obstreperous Rex

Indeed, *all* of our sponsors are great folks! That's "requirement number one" for getting on board with DV Info Net...

Old August 19th, 2005, 11:52 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Not that you need another reply post but I can tell you that Brian and Zotz are wonderful. I'm in Texas and bought from them and everything has been great. They are extremely helpful and you can always call on them with questions.
Kent Metschan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders